UKC

Smart water advert

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Just wondering if anyone knows the boulder problem on the smartwater advert, looks good

krikoman 26 Sep 2018
In reply to StillTryingForTheTop:

I'm too busy shouting at the telly, "It's just f*cking water", to see any pictures. I'll try and watch it next time

henwardian 26 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Don't you know some of the molecules of that water once made up Albert Einsteins brain? Combine that with the fact that you are what you eat(/drink) and all the exhaustive homeopathy studies that prove that water remembers where it's been and the results are clear and undeniable: This smart water is the smartest water ever to be produced and anyone not buying large quantities off it risks falling behind all us smart folk who quaff it by the gallon!

Post edited at 10:58
 krikoman 26 Sep 2018
In reply to henwardian:

To quote Jim Royale, Albert Einstein's arse!!

Would that still work?

Lornajkelly 26 Sep 2018
In reply to henwardian:

To quote Tim Minchin:  "it's a miracle!  Take physics and bin it.  Water has memory!  And while its memory of a drop of onion juice seems infinite, it somehow forgets all the poo it's had in it"

fully agree, nothing smart about the water

Found the video if that helps anyone identify the problem

https://tubbybrother.co.uk/work/sport/

Rob Parsons 26 Sep 2018

16s in looks like the far end of Burbage North (with Right Fin at top left of frame.)

Dan Arkle 26 Sep 2018

Could be The Terrace, Burbage 

Dave Todd 26 Sep 2018

Looks like 'Velvet Crab' to me...

Velvet Crab (f7A+)

Post edited at 16:41

Indeed it does, thank you

deepsoup 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Dave Todd:

> Looks like 'Velvet Crab' to me...

Yes, definitely.

cb294 26 Sep 2018
In reply to henwardian:

I like that example! I often ask my students how likely it is that during the course of the lecture they will inhale an atom that Julius Cesar exhaled when he was stabbed.

Great exercise in estimating: The earth is a cube with 10,000 km edges covered by a 10 km deep athmosphere. As everyone knows, each cube has 10 faces....

CB

Lusk 26 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

From their website: "Find out how else we’re reducing waste and helping the environment."

How about stop selling over-priced, over-advertised bottles of water to gullible people in plastic bottles for starters.

deepsoup 26 Sep 2018
In reply to henwardian:

> Don't you know some of the molecules of that water once made up Albert Einsteins brain?

Fewer than were once a part of the brains of other people probably - he wanted to be cremated and have his ashes scattered somewhere anonymously, but Einstein's brain was stolen and kept in a jar.  Weird story, but true.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32354300

mrphilipoldham 26 Sep 2018

Velvet Crab (f7A+) .. or thereabouts?

In reply to Lusk:

> Find out how else we’re reducing waste and helping the environment

Saving the planet by wasting energy to distill water and then add mineral packs...

Most stupid bottled water ever.

Rob Parsons 26 Sep 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:

Unless you live in a country in which water from normal sources is unsafe to drink, all bottled water is stupid. Who buys the stuff?

Before reading this thread, I'd never heard of the stuff mentioned here but, googling just now, I see it's owned by Coca-Cola. Those boys know how to make money, don't they? They'll be selling tins of air next.

toad 26 Sep 2018

I only drink Peckham Spring.

Surprised no else does

cragtyke 27 Sep 2018
In reply to toad:

I prefer corporation pop myself.

I was under the impression that they had tried this a few years back and it failed so miserably that they had to close the factories and lost millions on it... but no it seems the idea never went away

Bordering on the evil.

McHeath 27 Sep 2018
In reply to cb294:

I tried this (not in my head) and came to the conclusion that there will be very approximately 10 to the power of 15 molecules of Caesar's last 2 litre gasp in the 100m³ lecture room. Am I wildly wrong?

(PS the last cube I saw had 6 faces, not ten!)

Post edited at 08:00
cb294 27 Sep 2018
In reply to McHeath:

You are correct, it is almost certain that you inhale one molecule, even if you restrict yourself to noble gasses. 

The ten sided cube is just an illustration for how you can deliberately balance overestimates with underestimates in your chain of reasoning, e.g. one mol can be taken as 10E24 molecules, which almost balances the former overestimate. Ideally you calculate just using orders of magnitude (simple adding and substracting numbers below 100...).

deepsoup 27 Sep 2018
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> I was under the impression that they had tried this a few years back and it failed so miserably that they had to close the factories and lost millions on it... but no it seems the idea never went away

You're quite right, that was "Dasani".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasani

Can't keep an evil empire down though!

deepsoup 27 Sep 2018

> Most stupid bottled water ever.

Nah.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/fiji-mineral-water-natural/056537-28...

Bottled in it's little plastic bottles at source, almost as far away from here as it's possible to be on planet Earth, in a country where the locals have problems with a lack of drinking water.

In reply to deepsoup:

> Nah.

> https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/fiji-mineral-water-natural/056537-28...

> Bottled in it's little plastic bottles at source, almost as far away from here as it's possible to be on planet Earth, in a country where the locals have problems with a lack of drinking water.

It seems wrong to like your post!

Flinticus 27 Sep 2018
In reply to cb294:

> The earth is a cube with 10,000 km edges 

A new conspiracy theory! 

Is this cube hollow with lizard overlords dwelling inside?

wintertree 27 Sep 2018
In reply to cb294:

> Great exercise in estimating:

My first thought was to wonder if cycling via plants and the earth would be a significant factor over a gaseous mixing / dilution estimate.

I’m purely guessing that it takes geologic timescales for oxygen and nitrogen but could be significant for carbon vis carbon dioxide.

wintertree 27 Sep 2018

> Saving the planet by wasting energy to distill water and then add mineral packs...

> Most stupid bottled water ever.

Silver Brexit lining - apparently a no deal departure will destroy the UK’s bottled water export business.

krikoman 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Unless you live in a country in which water from normal sources is unsafe to drink, all bottled water is stupid. Who buys the stuff?

Unfortunately loads of people, I see people in Tescos with gallons of the stuff in their trollies!

Madness!!

krikoman 27 Sep 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

Are you sure they don't dehydrate it and ship it as power to the UK, where they add water and voilà!!

nacnud 27 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Fiji water comes from Fiji. It's insane, but doe show just how low the cost of shipping these days is. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji_Water

Post edited at 13:00
 Dauphin 27 Sep 2018
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

>I was under the impression that they had tried this a few years back and it failed so miserably that they >had to close the factories and lost millions on it... but no it seems the idea never went away 

They, 'CC', do all over the world blud, especially in developing countries, dont see why we should be excempt from the madness. Disgusting plastic bottles, as well as bags needs to stop. Seems like the Zenith of consumer madness and decadence.

D

In reply to deepsoup:

> You're quite right, that was "Dasani".

Dasani was bottled tap water, though.

That wasn't such a stupid idea (apart from those who bought bottle tap water ).

'Smart Water' is a couple of orders of magnitude more stupid, since it requires distillation.

In reply to deepsoup:

> Bottled in it's little plastic bottles at source,

It probably takes less energy to ship it around the world than it does to distill a bottle of water.

Probably takes more energy to ship water from France or Italy, by road than it does by ocean-going container ship from Fiji.

It's still bonkers, of course.

I'll just remind everyone that 'Evian', written backwards, is 'Naive'...

Post edited at 18:30
 krikoman 28 Sep 2018

> Probably takes more energy to ship water from France or Italy, by road than it does by ocean-going container ship from Fiji.

That might be true, for energy, but ships are probably the most polluting forms of transport, they burn very low quality fuel,  so lorries still might be better.

It is still bonkers of course, though, I'll give you that.

LastBoyScout 28 Sep 2018
In reply to Rob Parsons:

I will admit to stockpiling a certain amount of bottled water in the garage due to the threat of hosepipe bans and water shortages, but that's a special case. I also like to keep a bottle in the car, in case of hold-ups. I don't buy it as a rule, though.

I understand that Coca-Cola have have pretty much maxed out their profitability in the cold drinks market and are about to branch out into other ventures...

mal_meech 28 Sep 2018
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> I understand that Coca-Cola have have pretty much maxed out their profitability in the cold drinks market and are about to branch out into other ventures...

Like in Canada using newly legalised drugs?

deepsoup 28 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Also, the ocean-going container ships don't deliver to the shops.  There is still road transport at both ends.  And where are the bottles manufactured?  Those plastic bottles need to be delivered to Fiji, empty, first.

Meanwhile, in Australia:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-17/what-happens-to-small-towns-whose-wat...

Fakey Rocks 30 Sep 2018

Thought this was going to be about dipping all your climbing gear in that stuff that makes it glow in UV light, a.. To do those weirdo events climbing walls have, ....b.. To protect it from theft, probably from those weirdos at those events

Edit ....b.....oops! That wouldn't work would it! Wasn't thinking very far ahead....

The only smart water in a plakky bottle, is the stuff you put in a bottle you have been re-using for weeks / months / years, from out of a tap. Ok that's not safe in all coutries....Or perhaps from your own filtration device, but then those filters probably are creating a mountain of waste too ( i'm guilty on that one!), even though they can supposedly be recycled..

Post edited at 17:49

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...