UKC

Abandoned car outside our house - what to do?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jus 02 Dec 2018

There is a car on Italian plates with flat tyres that is gathering moss, that's been parked directly outside our house in Sheffield for a long time. 

What can be done about it?  

Sean_J 02 Dec 2018
In reply to Jus:

You could push it in front of someone else's house

In reply to Jus:

Is it a Maserati ghibli???

aln 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Name Changed 34:

I think it's my Chiron...

In reply to Jus:

Plant a tree in it?

In reply to Jus:

Expanding on a thread about abandoned bikes a few weeks ago I'd say go Wombling !  

Of course under the cover of darkness. 

Post edited at 05:57
 marsbar 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Jus:

Ring the council.

Blue Straggler 03 Dec 2018
In reply to aln:

> I think it's my Chiron...

You have a Knack for this sort of thing

artif 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Jus:

If it was causing an obstruction in the road and the police were informed, they would come and take it away very quickly.

How it becomes an obstruction is the issue (cough trolley jack cough cough)  : ) 

aln 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Well done! Have a like.

Andrew Kin 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Jus:

As per artif.  Do not under any circumstances report it whilst it is not quite an obstruction as they will just wait for the owner to turn up.  Dark night, and jack it up and drag into street.

Removed User 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Andrew Kin:

> As per artif.  Do not under any circumstances report it whilst it is not quite an obstruction as they will just wait for the owner to turn up.  Dark night, and jack it up and drag into street.

After removing anything of value. I assume it's not been stripped yet.

Andrew Kin 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Removed User:

That would be theft.  I wouldn’t suggest stealing anything, just blocking the road and reporting it the next morning.

aln 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Andrew Kin:

> As per artif.  

Is that a wee drink before a meal?

deepsoup 03 Dec 2018
In reply to marsbar:

If it's reasonably intact and kinda-sorta legally parked, I don't think Sheff City Council will do anything about it. 

I spoke to them about a car that had been left in the same spot for several months last year - tax and mot had expired, the upholstery and the steering wheel had gone impressively mouldy, but they weren't interesting in classing it as 'abandoned' unless it was burnt out, the windows were smashed or something like that.  (Unfortunately, I didn't have the presence of mind to ask if they were suggesting a course of action I could take.)

Removed User 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Andrew Kin:

....and blocking the road isn't an offence?

In both cases the important thing to ensure is not getting caught.

jungle 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Jus:

Could you check on DVLA to see if it's taxd and MOT'd. If it's not, reporting it through there may get someone to look at it

GridNorth 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Jus:

Is there anything that might be considered to be a "suspicious package" in it?

Al

FactorXXX 03 Dec 2018
In reply to GridNorth:

> Is there anything that might be considered to be a "suspicious package" in it?

It's got Italian plates, so it's probably Mafia and has got a body in the boot.

GrahamD 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Jus:

In the olden days you just let Italian cars rust away.  About 2 weeks.

SebCa 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Jus:

Section 99 Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984

The removal of Abandoned Vehicles.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/27/section/99

If you can prove its been there, your word should be enough then get it removed by the 5-0 or council.

OP Jus 03 Dec 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

It's perfectly legally parked. Obvs not UK taxed as it's on Italian plates. It just hasn't moved for a long time and looks completely knackered and is an eyesore.

At least it's not a massive van I suppose, but there is a side road where nobody really parks and where there are no front doors where it could rust out the rest of its days and nobody would mind...

However, I'd be pretty pissed if I had parked my rusty camper (if I had one) outside someone's house in Italy only for it to be removed because it looked abandoned...

deepsoup 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Jus:

Yes, I know what you mean, I have little sympathy with people who feel like they own the street outside their house, they are only a short step away from those you read about leaving passive-aggressive notes on ambulance windscreens - but there does come a time when it seems like taking the piss. 

The car I reported was also not really that much of a problem, just irritating.  It was taking up more space than it needed to, and parking is at a bit of a premium here as in so many streets these days.  In the end it just went away one day while I was at work, I don't know but imagine the owner either managed to get it going or had it taken away for scrap.

Tricky.  I was nowhere near ready to try any of the sort of erm..  'direct action' that's been suggested here, but there might have come a time, so after I reported it and got nowhere it did occur to me that perhaps I shouldn't have bothered.  Mind you, it would be just my luck to try something tricky with a trolley jack and end up getting arrested!

birdie num num 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Jus:

Your big mistake is to advertise publicly that you'd like to do something about it. 

Now there's not much you can do about it. Apart from bleat to the council.

I'd have said nothing and just have towed it a few hundred yards down the road and abandoned it in the carriageway. Fait accompli.

OP Jus 04 Dec 2018
In reply to birdie num num:

Not a mistake - I don't want to be sneaky about or make any trouble.

Mark Kemball 04 Dec 2018
In reply to Jus:

Big mistake to take anything Num Num says seriously!

pec 04 Dec 2018
In reply to Jus:

> What can be done about it?  

You could strip it for parts and sell them on ebay.

Alternatively, are there any travellers in the area looking for a bit of scrap metal?

Bob Kemp 04 Dec 2018
In reply to Mark Kemball:

That's not fair - he said something serious recently. About Brexit I think...

Mark Kemball 04 Dec 2018
In reply to Bob Kemp:

What? Totally out of character, was he ill?

Blue Straggler 05 Dec 2018
In reply to Jus:

Not making a useful reply to your OP but just a general comment

A few years a car died on me (dual-mass flywheel) and I was towed home. My usual on-street parking spot was unavailable so we had to dump it on a nearby street. I had intended to put a note in the windscreen and knock on a few doors to explain the situation and say that I'll get it sorted ASAP, but life got in the way. Within 3.5 days, both front tyres had been let down. I instantly reported this to the police simply as I was concerned that my alloy wheels might be damaged by having the weight of my engine pressing down on them with no cushioning. The police advised me to put a notice saying "Police Aware" with a "crime number" on it, in the windscreen. I did this. 
A day later I arranged for a friend to come and help me sort it with a compressor and a tow. 
We couldn't inflate the tyres. Not only had they been let down, but the valve cores had been removed.
I got chatting to a young man who was pottering around in the garden of the house in front of which my car was parked/dumped.

To cut a long story short, it was blindingly obvious that he was the boyfriend of the daughter of the NIMBY old geezer in that house who had let down my tyres and taken out the valve cores, and they had got in a massive panic over a misunderstanding of what "Police Aware" meant. 

Why was it obvious that they had removed the valve cores? Because AS A FRIENDLY GESTURE he offered me some valve cores that were in his pocket....

(other things in the totally amicable conversation acted as a confession. My car was parked totally legally)

Lusk 05 Dec 2018

Well, you shouldn't drive around in a car covered with moss growing all over it

In reply to Lusk:

> Well, you shouldn't drive around in a car covered with moss growing all over it

It WAS an MG

Lusk 05 Dec 2018

Must've been a yellow one, they wouldn't have noticed on a British racing green.

In reply to Lusk:

Fake MG.

ZTt ie Rover 75 made by BMW with a reversed engine and a a gear train made of suet 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...