UKC

Wild Country Mission Harness - Leg loop wear/tear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dbrooks 20 Dec 2018

Does anyone own a Wild Country Mission harness and had issues with wear/tear on the leg loops?

I purchased this from GoOutdoors in the UK around 2 months ago. I purchased it for a climbing trip to China and have used it extensively over the past 2 months.

Whilst the harness is comfortable and nice to climb in, I am concerned with regards to significant wear and tear that is already showing on the fabric straps on the leg loops.

Whilst some wear and tear is to be expected, this seems above and beyond what would be considered "reasonable wear and tear" for just 2 months worth of usage.

Based on these photos ( https://imgur.com/a/IdKO41I ), would the above damage be considered "normal wear and tear" for 2 months of heavy use?

If I was in the UK I would take it back to GoOutdoors, however I have just moved to Australia so this is not possible.

I have emailed Wild Country with my concerns but haven't had a response yet. I just wondered whether other users have experienced any issues with this and whether my concerns r.e. the wear/tear in such a short time frame are fair?

thanks!

artif 20 Dec 2018
In reply to dbrooks:

Judging by the state of the buckle it looks like its been dragged over the rock quite a bit. As you say its had 2 months of extensive (whatever that means) use so I'd call it as fair wear and tear.

I've had harnesses last years and some last months, depending on usage, not a manufacturing fault just how they were used.

Alpenglow 20 Dec 2018
In reply to dbrooks:

Looks like fair wear and tear tbh for 2 months of heavy use...

MischaHY 21 Dec 2018
In reply to dbrooks:

I work for an online outdoor retailer so look at stuff like this all day and honestly that's clearly wear and tear, probably from dragging on rock. 

PaulW 21 Dec 2018
In reply to dbrooks:

+1 for wear and tear caused by abrasion

OP dbrooks 21 Dec 2018
In reply to dbrooks:

thanks for the replies.

It doesn't seem like wear/tear from abrasion (i.e. rubbing on rock). If this was the case then surely it would be more uniform across the harness, including the waste loops?

The wear is only on the leg loops but it is the same on either side of the harness. It looks to me like it has been caused by the buckle. The leg loop straps are pretty thin (compared to other harnesses I've owned) and the edges on the buckle don't seem that smooth/rounded. To add some context to "extensive use", I climbed most days for 2 months, mainly sport climbing on lime stone but around 1 week of trad on sandstone. Whilst it's been used regularly, it's certainly not been abused.

I had my last harness (Black Diamond Aspect) the best part of 5 years before it showed similar levels of wear. I'd be interested to know who else actually owns one of these harnesses and what their experience of it's durability is?

flour 21 Dec 2018
In reply to dbrooks:

Of course it's abrasion! What do you think caused the loss of paint/scratches through to bare metal on the buckles that can be seen in the picture?

petegunn 21 Dec 2018
In reply to dbrooks:

I have the WC Syncro but must agree with you they seem to be a bit fragile compared to other harnesses that i have used over the years. I know 4 others that have the Syncro and all have the same issues

My leg buckles have the same wear as yours but with less scratches on the metal, also the inner fabric on the leg loops has worn badly.

I have a BD harness that i save for offwidths and this has far less wear than my new ish WC one, even after doing several rounds of the Brimham "Dirty Dozen" and "A Dirty Dozen More". I had the old Syncro and loved it but I don't think I will be getting another one.

Post edited at 23:49
 Alkis 22 Dec 2018
In reply to petegunn:

As a counterpoint, all my harnesses have similar or worse wear in the same place, including a WC, a Mammut and an Arc’teryx.

Deadeye 22 Dec 2018
In reply to dbrooks:

That's wear and tear.

You've sat down to belay and the buckle is under your leg, making that bit of tape a raised spot.

Surprised that you're surprised.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...