UKC

Best bouldering book for beginners.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BeeDaurn 30 Dec 2018

What's the best book for a bouldering beginner looking for advice getting started  technique mindset ext 

TheClimbingWallCritic 30 Dec 2018
In reply to BeeDaurn:

Peak Bouldering and a YouTube video??

GoneFishing111 30 Dec 2018
In reply to BeeDaurn:

Don't know of any specific books, 9 out of 10 climbers by Dave Macleod isn't a bad read.

Magnus Midtbo's youtube channel is excellent so is Mani the Monkey's - inspiration from Magnus, technique and training from Mani.

Flinticus 31 Dec 2018
In reply to BeeDaurn:

I've just bought 'Rock Climbing Technique' by John Kettle and it looks to contain lots of good advice which you'd benefit from knowing at the start to avoid bad habits and build up good ones

goose299 31 Dec 2018
In reply to BeeDaurn:

This is good

Bouldering Essentials: The Complete Guide To Bouldering by David Flannagan

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bouldering-Essentials-Complete-Guide/dp/095678741X

Got an as new copy that I'll sell.  £10 posted?

Offwidth 31 Dec 2018
In reply to BeeDaurn:

Dave Flanagan's books are good. Bouldering Essentials and Bouldering for Beginners.

You can even contact him through UKC

https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/profile.php?id=4503

Post edited at 12:44
 paul mitchell 15 Jan 2019
In reply to BeeDaurn:

Book ain't necessary.Get the best mat you can afford and the best partner to spot you.Try to find your own problems.That is more fun and will help you develop your imagination.

Offwidth 15 Jan 2019
In reply to paul mitchell:

Climbing books are great.... they can inspire you do good stuff like you suggest better. Thoughtful people take time to produce them knowing there is no fortune to be made.

paul mitchell 02 Feb 2019
In reply to BeeDaurn:

Book really is NOT necessary.

In reply to BeeDaurn:

Hi there, as others have noted, the best preparation for starting bouldering is to do lots with a group of boulderers who are more advanced than you.

However, as you asked for book suggestions, there are some really good reads around. As a caveat though, I think some require a decent appreciation of bouldering, so you may have to ‘grow into’ some of them.

here’s my list of (occasionally eclectic) faves..

Top of the list for every branch of climbing is Dave Macleod’s ‘Nine out of ten climbers’. Top for content and relevance, bottom for an enjoyable read everything you need to know is in here, but it’s a bit dull. Maybe that’s part of the test?

At the other end of the spectrum is Pat Ament’s biography of John Gill, ‘Master of Rock’. While Brits in our inimitable insular way thought we were great, Gill was quietly putting up the hardest problems in the world at the time up to V9 in the 1950s

You’ll want to go to Font, lots, so if you can hack it being in French, ‘Fontainebleau 100 ans d’escalades’ is an inspiring coffee table book with a section by Bleausard Jacky Godoffe, and highly recommended is Jacky Godoffe’s ‘Le Jouer de Bloc’ which has similar content to 9 out of 10 climbers but was written in the late ‘80s

as the Climbing Wall Critic posted, you need ‘Peak Bouldering’. I would add Ground Up’s ‘North Wales Bouldering’ and the new Lakes bouldering when it comes out around Easter.

that’ll keep you going for a while  -)

paul mitchell 03 Feb 2019
In reply to BeeDaurn:

youtube.com/watch?v=b2v4brHpdxY&

Also,learn to climb down more,rather than taking lots of huge falls.When you get older your hips and knees and ankles will thank you.Get outdoors on real rock.Plastic will not give you a sense of how to read rock.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...