UKC

Did your parents have any children that lived?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stichtplate 01 Jan 2019

Just started watching Full Metal Jacket for the umpteenth time on our impressive new telly, pure joy. 

What old favourites have people been particularly enjoying over the festive break?

buzby 01 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

watched Local hero again, its a bit dated but still one of my favourites.  

Blue Straggler 01 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

I watched Jim Sheridan's "The Field" again, this time with my Dad. It wasn't as good as I'd recalled, sadly. 

Removed User 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Re The Field

I remember saying to a mate of mine many years ago "this won't be your type of film". So he went into a rant about how the f**k I would know what type of film he watched. Sure enough, by the end, he looked at me and admitted that "it wasn't his type of film".

I think it was supposed to portray a little of the brutality that was felt in Ireland after the famine but it might have missed its mark. High level actors though.

Thrudge 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

Thread title reminds me of Peter Cook's autobiography, Tragically, I was an Only Twin.  There's a picture of him on the cover looking tragic.

OP Stichtplate 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Thrudge:

It was the line that Gunnery Sergeant Hartman uses to introduce himself to Pyle. Not, by any means, the finest line in the film, but short enough to fit a thread title.

Jon Stewart 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

I watch withnail and I every new years day.

I didn't match withnail drink for drink, but I did drop some phenodihyrochloride-benzylex.

Also, the big lebowski. The story's ludicrous. 

MonkeyPuzzle 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

He's a good man. And thorough.

wercat 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

I've been listening to a Radio 4 drama serial about cold war espionage set in the Hebrides, made in the late 1960s.  Called "Dark Island" with a haunting signature tune.

6 half hour episodes

Post edited at 14:21
 Babika 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Just started watching Full Metal Jacket for the umpteenth time on our impressive new telly, pure joy. 

So pleased to hear this. I have a new telly arriving this afternoon with apparently out of this world colour and image quality so I can't wait. 

Robbie the Reindeer for the umpteenth time and Shape of Water (first) were probably my festive favourites. 

In reply to Babika:

> So pleased to hear this. I have a new telly arriving this afternoon with apparently out of this world colour and image quality so I can't wait. 

It's a curse as much as a blessing. I spent at least the first week excitedly flicking through the channels looking for programs that showcased the improved image quality.

I ended up watching some right crap just cos it looked good.

Babika 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

haha 

I think I may need to find some tropical fish on the Discovery Channel......they always seem to have them in the showroom?

In reply to Jon Stewart:

I’ve got Lebowski recorded, might watch it tonight, also going to revisit season 1 of True Detective before going back on Monday.

Withnail’s a classic but I don’t think it’s ageing that well. Last time a saw it I think I forwarded as much as I watched. Perhaps best viewed drunk?

Tringa 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

Haven't watched any oldies over Christmas and New Year but some I go back to now and again are

Beetlejuice, The Blues Brothers and Bladerunner.

Dave

Post edited at 15:13
 Tobes 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

watched 'all creatures great and small' -

plenty of elbow deep moments and has aged well I think

PaulTclimbing 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

To be fair, everything about the Heroes of telemark and Where eagles dare..dialogue, action, tension, scenery....climbing...storyline...They've got it in bucketloads even when you know the endings. Unlike Revenant (bits of which were good) last night, but which i've always wanted to see and then was a letdown, as I thought it was a bit too far fetched, overacted  (unrealistic - too fast in such cold and exposed weather)  nowhere near as good as Dances with Wolves which is a masterpiece. Stayed up late then to watch Glastonbury highlights of which only the Killers for me produced with Mr Brightside.

Post edited at 17:22
 Groundhog 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

"All Quiet On The Western Front" did it for me. The original is best but the 1979 remake is pretty good and closer to the book.

Best anti war movie ever.

Jon Stewart 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Withnail’s a classic but I don’t think it’s ageing that well. Last time a saw it I think I forwarded as much as I watched. Perhaps best viewed drunk?

youtube.com/watch?v=28NnWphc8IY&

Chris_Mellor 04 Jan 2019
In reply to wercat:

Where could I find The Dark island please? You have whetted my appetite and I'd like to listen to it as well.

Removed User 05 Jan 2019
In reply to PaulTclimbing:

>  Unlike Revenant (bits of which were good) last night, but which i've always wanted to see and then was a letdown, as I thought it was a bit too far fetched, overacted  (unrealistic - too fast in such cold and exposed weather)

Good cinematography and settings, though - just the thing for showing off a new telly.

Andy Gamisou 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

Generally on my own over New Years Eve (my wife usually volunteers for a night shift (probably to get away  from me)).

I always seem to end up  watching "The Devil Rides Out" just before 12, and "Quatermass and the Pit" after.  Sometimes throw in "The Blair Witch Project" for good measure - if I haven't passed out by then. 

Robert Durran 05 Jan 2019
In reply to buzby:

> Watched Local hero again, its a bit dated but still one of my favourites.

Dated?! It's utterly timeless. One of the best two films ever made, and always will be.

MonkeyPuzzle 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

I think Ghostbusters is my "anytime anywhere" film of all time. Such perfect timing from Ackroyd and Murray that I genuinely don't know how the other cast members got through their lines with a straight face.

Also love The Big Lebowski but I'm equally a fan of Miller's Crossing, also by the Coen brothers. The borderline nonsense slang is so lyrical and the whole film somehow simultaneously manages to be a pastiche of a gangster film AND a fantastic gangster film in its own right.

OP Stichtplate 05 Jan 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Miller's Crossing is class. Long overdue for a re-watch.

buzby 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Dated?! It's utterly timeless. One of the best two films ever made, and always will be.

well it was made in 1983, id agree about being one of the best films ever made, what's your other then ?

MonkeyPuzzle 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

The goddam kid's just like a twist!

Robert Durran 05 Jan 2019
In reply to buzby:

> Well it was made in 1983, I'd agree about being one of the best films ever made, what's your other then?

Lawrence of Arabia

Chris_Mellor 06 Jan 2019
In reply to wercat:

Thanks. Found it on Youtube and listening to it there. Four episodes in. Great stuff. Do you know any more like it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...