UKC

Sardinia holiday in high summer - too hot?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Kemp 10 Jan 2019

We are considering a family holiday in Sardinia (hopefully with plenty of bouldering opportunities) but I've heard that it can be a bit too hot in July/August. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts and experiences on this?

99ster 10 Jan 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

It's very hot there in July & August - pretty close to unbearable if you want to be outside doing anything active.  Also, August is the peak holiday season for Italians, so you would also find it to be busy & expensive.  Spring and Autumn are much better times to visit.  Hope that helps.

jon_gill1 10 Jan 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I went in September once and it was 42degrees! Been 3 other times in October and it’s been ideal.

Iamgregp 10 Jan 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Yeah I went in April and it was hot enough then, so July/August must be sweltering... 

OP Bob Kemp 10 Jan 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Thanks for the replies - they rather confirm what I'd suspected. Might be alright for those in the family who want to lounge around on beaches but I don't think I'd enjoy it much!

In reply to Bob Kemp:

I was there in high summer a couple of years back on a family holiday. I took my boots and chalk bag but it was way too hot to do anything much apart from a short spell in the evening before it went dark. The bouldering potential in the north east of the island is incredible though, so much to go at around every corner. The coastal area around Capo Testa is excellent and did provide an evenings fun, it was also the only place i saw anyone else bouldering.

OP Bob Kemp 10 Jan 2019
In reply to jonathan shepherd:

It does sound brilliant. Feeling a bit frustrated now... Anyone have any alternative suggestions for slightly cooler sun/sea/sand plus (easy) bouldering holidays?

chris_r 10 Jan 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

In July/August?   Northumberland?

dave frost 10 Jan 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

July August will also be rammed with italians

We've been mid September and it was amazing (stayed in Madalena in the north east), we wil be back in June this year.

Personally im not too worried about day time temperatures, its the nights that are a bother, especialy if you dont have air con.

Last september it was mostly about 28 in the day and about 21 at night.

Post edited at 18:07
OP Bob Kemp 10 Jan 2019
In reply to chris_r:

I wouldn’t mind but try selling Northumberland to my family!

Elsier 10 Jan 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I went to Corsica in June and did a bit of bouldering, (as well as sport and trad) and found the temps were ok. (Not sure how much hotter it would be in July and August) but might be an option for combining sun/sea and easy bouldering?

OP Bob Kemp 10 Jan 2019
In reply to Elsier:

Interesting idea - I thought about Corsica, but seem to remember the better bouldering options were at the south end, so maybe not much different to Sardinia?

Stairclimber 11 Jan 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

July and August in sunbathing holiday spots are going to be crowded wherever you go, but consider the Ardeche for a location which gives your family water to play in and climbing / bouldering for you. Many of the rock climbing sites are polished but if you start from the point of finding somewhere that is fantastic for kids to play and non climbers to roast on the water's edge, you can find plenty of rock for yourself and lots of people to climb with if you stay on or near a camp site. Early morning cragging is particularly beautiful and then join up with the family for some splashing around fun. Check out the area around Chaulet Plage on the Chassezac rather than anywhere near the Pont d'Arc.

I went to Sardinia in early July last year. It is a lovely place, but to climb in the shade you will drive many miles on winding roads in frustrating heat and as someone else said, the night time sleeping (or not sleeping) temperatures require air con. We lasted two nights in a tent before renting an expensive apartment. 

OP Bob Kemp 11 Jan 2019
In reply to Stairclimber:

I've climbed in the Ardeche and agree that's a very good suggestion, but the sea is apparently crucial! Currently looking at Croatia but there's relatively little good bouldering info. 

RX-78 11 Jan 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

We went in October, lovely temperatures at that time of the year. Regarding Croatia, also went there during a heatwave late summer. My wife actually ended up crying one day due to the heat! We would spend the day either cooling off in the sea or air-conditioned apartment. Went back in October and it was lovely.

Post edited at 14:20
 chris_r 11 Jan 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Lisbon? Seaside at Caiscais, and excellent bouldering inland at Sintra, and its up in the mountains so a bit cooler.

Elsier 11 Jan 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

We did a bit of bouldering at Lumio which is on the North coast, nice but not very extensive.

I think there is also quite a bit of bouldering in the Restonica Valley which would likely be cooler in summer, as it's higher and wooded, but it's about an hour from the coast so might not be so great for combining with a beach holiday.

Post edited at 22:25
OP Bob Kemp 11 Jan 2019
In reply to chris_r:

Sounds good Chris, will check it out. 

OP Bob Kemp 11 Jan 2019
In reply to RX-78:

October is a great time for the Med, but we wouldn’t be able to get away then. Looks like we may be affected (afflicted?) by the heat wherever we go. 

OP Bob Kemp 11 Jan 2019
In reply to Elsier:

Sounds good, thanks. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...