UKC

Custom made mountaineering helmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
NikkiCockayne 19 Mar 2019

Could anyone recommend a company who custom make helmets for mountaineering, bouldering etc Our friend has a larger than average head since birth and has trouble finding a helmet that is both comfortable and practicle.

Andrew Lodge 19 Mar 2019
In reply to NikkiCockayne:

I'd be very surprised if you found any company prepared to do this.

The technology is easy but as a climbing helmet is classified as PPE the legislation around it makes the production of one offs very difficult and certainly very expensive.

Nicola 19 Mar 2019

They could try approaching a company who make helmets for people with epilepsy. Perhaps they could modify the design to reflect the standards required of a climbing helmet. Since it would fall under the definition of a custom made medical device, CE marking is not required. 

alx 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Nicola:

> They could try approaching a company who make helmets for people with epilepsy. Perhaps they could modify the design to reflect the standards required of a climbing helmet. Since it would fall under the definition of a custom made medical device, CE marking is not required. 

It’s only PPE or medical device if you are making certain claims on the safety and intended purpose. Other than that you can ask them to build what you want and use it how you want except it’s the buyers responsibility when it goes wrong.

Michael Hood 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

Bit crazy really...

I'm sorry we can't allow you to reduce the risks you take climbing because of the risks of making something that's not been certified.

An example of the irony that exists in today's regulated modern world.

Post edited at 06:54
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Bit crazy really...

> I'm sorry we can't allow you to reduce the risks you take climbing because of the risks of making something that's not been certified.

> An example of the irony that exists in today's regulated modern world.

Which 'we' is that? 

Untested safety equipment? Sound like a good idea!

I've heard a few dubious 'Elf 'n Safety' stories. This isn't one.

StuDoig 20 Mar 2019

A mate had a custom helmet from Petzl due to massive heid as nothing off the shelf would fit.  A bit more expensive but not prohibitively so. Though he's now got one of their industrial w@h helmets which seems to fit OK - might be worth having a look at that range rather than climbing dedicated ones.

Cheers,

Stu

jimtitt 20 Mar 2019

The largest helmet I know of is the Grivel Salamander XL which is 66cm, that is truly gigantic (made to go over a woolly hat). No longer made but you might find one if you search around. There are others 63,5/64cm available.

Michael Hood 20 Mar 2019
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

The "we" is any manufacturer.

The point I was trying to make (maybe my style/language wasn't obvious enough), was that if someone (especially a helmet manufacturer) made a large helmet that wasn't certified, then surely that would be lower risk for the climber than no helmet.

The fact that today's regulated society wouldn't allow the manufacturer to do this (because of perceived risk), is somewhat ironic.

I agree that in general rigorous testing and certification of safety equipment is a good thing.

gravy 20 Mar 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

Yep I can second, that the salamander is huge (and a fetching shade of bright yellow)

Mr. Lee 21 Mar 2019

What Nicola said. An orthotist can measure and prescribe protective helmets (I'm an orthotist). You could try and get an NHS referral starting with the GP, otherwise find a local private orthotics clinic.

MischaHY 21 Mar 2019

If it comes to it, a snowboarding helmet with some lining removed for cooling purposes is probably the closest he's going to get. Here is one from Smith that fits up to 67cm: 

https://www.blue-tomato.com/de-DE/product/Smith-Maze+Ad+Helmet-52971/?colid... 

I'll grant you it's not ideal but snowboard helmets are pretty tough and with the ear pads removed it'd likely be a fairly good choice. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...