UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: North York Moors Limestone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 09 Apr 2019
Franco Cookson Soloing The Nightwatch If you were asked to paint a picture of North York Moors climbing, you'd be forgiven for imagining a land of little brown rocks, poking out from the peaty heather waste. The hard sandstone 'acid bog' landscape does indeed dominate the north of the region, but to the south, a rolling fertile world of gentle dales and bright white houses stands in radical contrast to the harsh hills that lie only a few miles away. This is the home of Moors Limestone, where the climbing is mostly massive, juggy and adventurous. Be sure to pack a big sandwich, a helmet and a substantial rack of hexes.

Read more
 olddirtydoggy 10 Apr 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

More articles like this please, climbing articles.

In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Happy to oblige!

We've just received a great (albeit esoteric) offering from Stu Bradbury on Cornish Off-widths, which should be a laugh. Besides that there's Chee Tor destination article I've been working on for several years (not because it's any good, more because I am - apparently - a very slow worker).

Sure Natalie has more in the pipeline, but there's a couple for starters

Stone Muppet 10 Apr 2019

Peak Scar is intimidating! I once figured if I could tick the HVSs there, I could climb E2 most other places... and wasn't wrong, though maybe that's more a reflection on my climbing style than the crag...

Blake 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Cornish offwidths sounds awesome - really excited for that one!

In reply to Blake:

It's by the same guy that wrote 'Hostile Terrain', which probably gives you a good flavour of what's in store. Got everything from Hard Severe up to in/around E5, so something for (nearly) everyone

Having laid it all out yesterday it's looking amazing. I'm both inspired and intimidated...

guisboro andy 11 Apr 2019

You forgot to mention the cave at peak scar Franco.

rumblesan 11 Apr 2019

> Got everything from Hard Severe up to in/around E5

given it's about offwidths I'm assuming more of the in than the around?

Ramon Marin 11 Apr 2019

When are we getting Parnell to do one about Exmoor sandstone? Apparently you need pick axes taped to your wrists to climb it...

Rog Wilko 11 Apr 2019

Been to both these venues a couple of times (but not for a good few years) and always found the climbing interesting and challenging for my very limited talents. I can still remember the excitement of on-sighting (not a phrase I understood at the time) Jam with Sam (VS 4b) in 1972, when I'd scarcely done a VS before. It was then 20 years before I plucked up courage to do Night Watch, even though it was only Hard Severe in the old guidebook I was using. My ukc log entry says simply "Sensational route".

I seem to remember Peak Scar being guarded by some really discouraging nettle beds later in the season.

Edit: I see that as far as ukc is concerned only Dave Musgrove got there (J with S) before me.

Post edited at 21:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...