UKC

Decent pub in Dumfries/Galloway?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 14 May 2019

Will be spending a night in the area in a couple of weeks but google search doesn't produce much...

Looking for a good pub....proper beer, straightforward food etc...

Any recommendations?

Thanks..

Post edited at 17:55
 BrendanO 14 May 2019
In reply to abr1966:

Yep:    (though it's a big place)

The Anchor, Kippford. Very dog-friendly, real ales (inc Sulwath local brewery), big portions of food. Friendly vibe. If nice, sit outside and watch the water. Can walk from Castle Point campsite near Colvend

The Clachan, St John's Town of Dalry. Real fire, nice food, dogs ok, on S Upland Way, rooms. Really lovely place.

The Crown, Portpatrick. Nice campsite on clifftops to walk from. Used to go as a nipper 40 yrs ago. It's still good.

My Dad's favourite was The Bruce, Wetherspoons pub in Dumfries (does what it says on the tin, actually quite good). However, the local CAMRA place is across the road (Caven Arms I think?)

Not a pub properly, but Sulwath Brewery in Castle Douglas has a tap room, open daytime only, but great way to forget on a rainy day!! 'Black Galloway' is magic stuff

Do reply...

(sad post to write; I am recently diagnosed coeliac so no more Black Galloway for me...)

OP abr1966 14 May 2019
In reply to BrendanO:

Thanks mate....much appreciated! Shame about your stomach ! :-{ 

Will have one for you if there is any consolation in that!

Le Sapeur 14 May 2019
In reply to abr1966:

A second vote for the Anchor.

Bear in mind that D&G is quite big.

toad 14 May 2019
In reply to abr1966:

Out on a limb, but the Steam Packet Inn on the isle of Whithorn ticks your boxes

StockportAl 14 May 2019
In reply to abr1966:

I'll second the Steam Packet at Whithorn.

The Caverns in Dumfries is usually worth a visit, the beer is cheap and last time I was there the food was ok.

A couple of the pubs in Moffat used to be good, not been for a long time so can't vouch for them anymore. The Buccleuch Arms was usually the better of them.

If you end up in Gatehouse then the Masonic tends to the better, but I have had the odd bad pint in there, usually at quiet times of the year when there are few ale drinkers about.

Mike-W-99 14 May 2019
In reply to abr1966:

KenBridge hotel? May have new owners now though but have been a few times (you can camp there too).

heleno 16 May 2019
In reply to abr1966:

Another vote for the Masonic Arms in Gatehouse 

Flinticus 16 May 2019
In reply to abr1966:

Masonic Arms too. Its also dog friendly.

Max factor 16 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Yes, the Anchor in Kippford is nice.

I like the Laurie Arms, Haugh of Urr, and The Buccleuch Arms in Thornhill.

The Auldgrith Inn has gone all posh with an open kitchen and London Gastropub prices to match.  Didn't really work for me. 

Bringing back memories of my parents and their friends drinking in the Clachan Inn and the Kenbridge Hotel whilst we had our scampi and chips and played in the river Ken : )

aln 16 May 2019
In reply to abr1966:

I was in the Steamboat Inn in Carsethorn 2 Saturday's ago. One of those places stuffed full of boating and fishing bric a brac etc. Despite the quiet village in a quiet corner of the country it was fairly busy, friendly staff and locals, good food, and beer from the Sulwath brewery. And there was a local guy playing guitar and singing. We enjoyed it.

OP abr1966 16 May 2019
In reply to abr1966:

Thanks everyone....much appreciated! Will post after I've been and where I ended up!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...