UKC

Dolomites, Frankenjura, Aus, Slo -Summer Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dbatch 18 Jul 2019

Hey y'all,

I'm travelling around the Italian Alps, just about to head north from Lago di Garda to Arco and then on to the dolomites.  Currently, the forecast for everywhere is 30C and thunderstormy. I work in the day and want to be able to meet people to go for a climb in the evening/early morn/weekends. I've been able to get a via ferrata done after work but i want to do some real climbing!

Two questions really

1) Are the dolomites always like this at this time of year i.e. go for a climb in the morning, drink when the storms come in in the afternoon?

2) Where else is good this time of year? Frankenjura? Croatia? Slovenia? Austria? Chamonix seems stormy too, Verdun? Norway? I could go back to the UK but I'm trying to milk freedom of movement while we've got it :'D

Thanks for any advice in advance.

jimtitt 18 Jul 2019
In reply to dbatch:

Sounds normal for the Dolomites, get off by 2.

The Franken is forecast for 30+ all next week and high humidity, thunderstorms it's too early to tell but it will probably be hideous for climbing anyway.

JLS 18 Jul 2019
In reply to dbatch:

Not every afternoon/evening gets washed out by a storm but it's certainly not uncommon. It's a good bit cooler (low 20's) up here around Sella. PM me if you get up here. I'm around until the 27th.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...