UKC

Chew Valley Bouldering Website

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike_d78 08 Jul 2020

Hi,

Thought you might be interested in a Chew Valley Bouldering website that I have set up. It is almost entirely based on a defunct website chewvalley.bravehost.com with some updates for recent developments...the URL for the site is;

https://chewvalleybouldering.com/

There's more info to be added but I thought it was worth unleashing on the world in its current state.

Comments welcomed!

Post edited at 09:39
 mrphilipoldham 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Mike_d78:

Very good! 

It may be worth pointing out the quarries 7 & 8 at Running Hill Pits are on private land, and that you are likely to be accosted by the gamekeeper if you venture in to them. The rest are on land accessible under CRoW where you have the legal right to climb, regardless of what the gamekeeper tells you  

OP Mike_d78 08 Jul 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> Very good! 

> It may be worth pointing out the quarries 7 & 8 at Running Hill Pits are on private land, and that you are likely to be accosted by the gamekeeper if you venture in to them. The rest are on land accessible under CRoW where you have the legal right to climb, regardless of what the gamekeeper tells you  

Thanks! Yeah good point, I will add that in!!! It a shame they couldn't move that fence a few hundreds yards down the hill.

Edited

I've put in a link to the BMC Regional Access Database!

Post edited at 12:47
 George Frisby 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Mike_d78:

Great site, thanks for this Mike. 

OP Mike_d78 08 Jul 2020
In reply to George Frisby:

No problem, it has kept me entertained during lockdown!

Andy Hardy 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Mike_d78:

Could you put grid references in for the locations?

(sorry to ba picky, but I've not heard of Oven Stones and was trying to work out where they are)

Cheers

In reply to Mike_d78:

Really good website, it’s whetted my appetite. Many thanks.

Chris

OP Mike_d78 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Could you put grid references in for the locations?

> (sorry to ba picky, but I've not heard of Oven Stones and was trying to work out where they are)

> Cheers

Yes no problem at all. Oven Stones is in thr middle of the moor behind pots and pans so the GR for that would definitely help!

OP Mike_d78 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Could you put grid references in for the locations?

> (sorry to ba picky, but I've not heard of Oven Stones and was trying to work out where they are)

> Cheers

Now updated with Oven Stones GR! Thanks for the comments!

OP Mike_d78 10 Jul 2020
In reply to Christheclimber:

> Really good website, it’s whetted my appetite. Many thanks.

> Chris

Thanks a lot! July has finally realised it is summer with a good forecast this weekend...

Post edited at 07:26
 monkeychoss 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Mike_d78:

nice website, however I don't think the GR for duck stones is correct. It might be because I am using OS maps online ?  

OP Mike_d78 23 Jul 2020
In reply to monkeychoss:

Hi, thanks for the comments. It is difficult to locate it on the map as there are lots of jumbles of boulders. I do think the GR is pretty close....this is where it is marked on a local website

https://www.doveheritage.com/climbing-dovestones/

OP Mike_d78 23 Jul 2020
In reply to monkeychoss:

And this is where I think it is on the cross hairs, which is 026 030

steveriley 31 Jul 2020
In reply to Mike_d78:

Nice clean site! Now if you could just stretch into the next vallley that would be lovely

I had a wander around West Nab, Over The Moors in hand. There's a ton of problems on ukc with no information or context. Possibly from an old Huddersfield guide, out of print and don't think online anywhere? Anyway, good work.

ro8x 31 Jul 2020
In reply to Mike_d78:

Hey Mike,

Great site that. I have been doing some work in Rochdale recently and taking the scenic drive home, I had great views of the chew valley yesterday and was not impressed that i'd not got a pad or shoes with me. 

Will be making use of your work in the coming weeks!

Cheers.

Karl

OP Mike_d78 02 Aug 2020
In reply to steveriley:

Really like West Nab especially the Archery area and especially Archery itself is one of my fav problems. 

It could do with some topos as its quite difficult to navigate around. So maybe....

Post edited at 07:07
OP Mike_d78 02 Aug 2020
In reply to ro8x:

Thanks!!!

It's very busy at the minute (like everywhere). The carpark at dovestones is frequently full at the weekend and on nice weekday evenings. It is possible to park in Greenfield and walk up though, so not a massive problem. 

In reply to Mike_d78:

I've posted this on the Chew Valley Cragsmen site on Facebook.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...