UKC

Simple top rop route for kids in Symonds Yat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 12Holds 14 Jul 2020

I'm taking my kids down to Biblins for a bit of camping to give them some sort of summer holiday.

I've been trying to search the net to find out if there are any top rop routes we could spend an afternoon at while there but as you know, the internet is full of all opinions. Some say yes, others say no. But the main issue is I don't have a guide book for the area and don't know the local crags and routes. Does anyone know of a spot that would have a line or two for beginners and if so, point it out on the map so we can hike from camp.

They are mainly indoor climbers so are still finding the outdoor style challenging, very low grades are what they need, more of a bit of fun. We have slings and static so can set up anchors but need to access the top first

funkyvin1 15 Jul 2020
In reply to 12Holds:

I saw a guy toproping with young kids on a wall to the left of the classic VD route 'Snoozin Susie.' Looking at the logbook there are a couple of choices of routes at D and Vdiff. They are not that regularly climbed afaik as they are a bit green, but access to the top is pretty straight forward and from what I remember there are a couple of substantial trees to sling for your top anchor.

As far as locating it without a guidebook, come in to the crag from the Northern end (without checking the guide I think its roughly level with the north end of the car park), follow the path at the base of the crag until it leads through an arch in the rock. The wall in question is to the left of the arch before you pass through it and the routes should be fairly obvious. Im sure if there are other climbers about, they won't mind you taking a quick look in their guidebook to be sure.

Vin

leland stamper 15 Jul 2020
In reply to funkyvin1:

You could just buy a guide book. Apparently it encourages guidebook writers to write guides so we don't just rely on internet opinion

maxsmith 15 Jul 2020
In reply to 12Holds:

I personally don't think Symonds Yat is a great environment for top-roping with young kids (might be ok depending on their ages).  But if you are determined to go then the advice above is sound about going to the short wall climber's left of Snoozin Suzie.  From memory there are no steep drop offs below that section of the crag.  

OP 12Holds 08 Aug 2020
In reply to 12Holds:

Sorry, didn't get round to replying to these.

The main reason for the Symonds Yat trip was for the camping, the climbing was just a bonus and I knew there wouldn't be much there. We had plenty to do any way.

In the end we found a nice little wall just past the Biblins campsite below Seven Sisters rock that had trees suitable for anchors.

OP 12Holds 08 Aug 2020
In reply to leland stamper:

10/10 for pointless comment.

The internet is here for help, why wouldn't you use it?

If you even read the original post, it said we were going camping with the kids and just wanted to do a little top rope with them one afternoon.

£20 guide book for valley I may never go to again and would only be spending a couple of hours in at most? I don't even think a guidebook writer would think that to be a great idea.

I've only recently started climbing out doors, with Southern Sandstone being my closest and guess what is sitting on my book shelf.........?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...