UKC

Dartmoor crags for kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jooode100 06 Aug 2020

Hello!

Heading to Dartmoor (south) in a few weeks. 

Can anyone provide suggestions for the best venues for kids (aged 6-14) for their first outdoor climbing experience?

Many thanks

Simon Pelly 06 Aug 2020
In reply to jooode100:

Sheepstor

jooode100 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Skip:

Leigh Tor looks great! Thanks for suggestions!

jooode100 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Simon Pelly:

Oh yes, thanks Simon, I remember climbing on Sheeps Tor years ago, great location I remember!

BuzyG 06 Aug 2020
In reply to jooode100:

Dartmoor is just covered in tors kids that age will enjoy climbing. 

What kit do you have.?

Hound tor and Bone Hill rocks on the North of the moor.  Have loads of short boulder problems and easy scrambles, as well as a few routes that require a belay.   May be a bit of a drive involved though.

Where will you be based?

SW of the moor there are the Staple tors are similar to Hound tor, though further from the ice cream van/car park.  From the same car park you can walk down to Pew tor, that too has plenty of easy short scrambles up it.

Sheeps tor is perfect for lower grade climbs. but you need a belay on most of them.  It's also about the prettiest area on Dartmoor apart from Tavy cleave, so always popular.

For a good scramble, if you don't mind a bit of bracken at the start, there is leather tor from the Devonport leat.  You can use the same car park for the back of sheeps tor, though the made crag on sheeps tor is a shorter walk from the minor road to the south of it.

Plenty of other to.  They should love it. 

(Bring a coat)

Post edited at 14:07
jooode100 06 Aug 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

Thanks BuzyG.

We'll be based near Bovey so Hay Tor/ Hound Tor area is ideal. I like the look of Leigh Tor! 

We have ropes/rack etc, we just normally climb in northern England and not with children so just after some ideas for the best locations to sling up a rope for them to have a go but also nice for when they are waiting. Ice cream vans are nice but not essential if it means a quieter location

TMM 06 Aug 2020
In reply to jooode100:

You’re well located in Bovey to access the SE edge of the moor easily.

I take my girls (6 & 8) up to Hound Tor and further on to Greator Rocks. The area is great for kids to run around and explore and you can get a dip in the Becka brook at the bottom of the valley. 

Ullacombe Farm do a great breakfast on the way up the hill, might be worth booking as they get busy.

Some more family friendly expeditions can be had in Bovey Woods (Bearacleave and Shaptor) or Lustleigh Cleave.

Have a great time.

Mark Kemball 06 Aug 2020
In reply to jooode100:

I'd go with  Hound Tor personally I'd not go for  Sheeps Tor as it is rather polished making the easier routes a bit on the tough side if it's at all damp or sweaty.

BuzyG 06 Aug 2020
In reply to jooode100:

I have only walked past Leigh tor, may have to pack my shoes and take another look at that one.  From Bovey Hound tor could be just perfect for you.  Very popular, Food and ice cream vans normally there.  Not sure how that works since COVID.  Loads of routes.

This site is full of them.

https://javu.co.uk/Climbing/Guides/DartmoorBouldering/HoundTor/

You can find Haytor and loads of other suggestions on there too.

Hope you find it useful.

Post edited at 15:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...