UKC

Westview, Preston - Closure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sbc23 19 Sep 2020

It appears that Westview climbing wall is facing permanent closure. This is an important wall with a 30 year history and a regular meeting place for lots of groups and clubs around the Fylde & Preston. The closest alternative walls are small (Blackpool Sports Centre), bouldering-only (Boulder UK) or miles away (Kendal, Ingleton, Warrington). It’s normally busy on weekday evenings, but has been suffering from lack of maintenance and any route setting by the operators ‘BETTER’. The lack of capacity in the whole area during the current restrictions will inevitability make Boulder UK busier than usual on the popular nights.

I would encourage anyone who cares about this to sign the petition :

http://chng.it/NBK5frdsVt

Steve Clark

(Acting) Membership Sec, Fylde MC 

Neil Williams 19 Sep 2020
In reply to sbc23:

If it closes, might someone look to open a new commercial wall which may be, er, "better", in Preston?  It's not like the place is short of disused buildings.

Andy Hardy 19 Sep 2020
In reply to sbc23:

Someone should resurrect Cliff's Barn...

OP sbc23 19 Sep 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

Well, yes. Market forces will eventually sort it out. That’s a couple of years away at least.

Its just a complete shame. West view worked for decades when it was run by the council. There’s no shortage of climbers, or people on intro courses. Large hall, heated, well lit and already built. There’s something seriously wrong if they can’t turn a profit.

Neil Williams 20 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Someone should resurrect Cliff's Barn...

Went there as a Venture Scout and loved it...then took me another 15 years to actually get into climbing!  Probably still got my membership card somewhere.

It's stil there, owned and operated by Rock and River (a commercial provider)...I understand the reason for closure was insurance related after an incident or two, but under new ownership (I think) they should surely be able to get that now.

Post edited at 07:03
 Jonathan Haine 23 Sep 2020
In reply to sbc23:

Just received this back from the City Council in response to my email so looks like the petition is being directed to the wrong people.

Thank you for your email, sadly the council no longer have any involvement in West View Leisure Centre having passed ownership to GLL some years ago.

You would need to pass your comments on to them and see if they are willing to invest in the centre further.

The Lemming 23 Sep 2020
In reply to sbc23:

I started going to West View in 1993 and kept going until about 2010. Towards the end, the sports centre went into private hands and things went downhill from there.

The Wall was a gold mine and made more money than the rest of the centre. But better walls were built and maintained.

I'm travelling from Blackpool, I'm on the motorway and all I have to do is travel for a further 30-45 minutes to get to good facilities. Bit of a no-brainer.

I voted with my feet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...