UKC

Best value place to buy climbing holds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 27 Jan 2021

Hi can anyone suggest a good value place to buy climbing holds please?

Cheers Steve

Sean_J 27 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

I have ordered some from customholds.co.uk, email service was very good, can post here again when they arrive. There seems to only be a few manufacturers that make holds at cheap prices - and quite a few that are really expensive for what you actually get! (Rockcity seem to be the biggest rip-off going for example...) Alien Holds is on my list of places to try too - holds look interesting and some are quite cheap compared to similar from the competition too.

Anybody know a place that sells cheap screw-ons for feet? Euroholds don't sell to the UK without a 500EUR minimum order any more, I was going to get some from them but I don't fancy buying 2000 of the things....

Post edited at 14:07
 redpointillist 27 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

Not sure about being the cheapest, but I ordered 75 holds from Holdz yesterday and they've just arrived which I thought was pretty good. They seem reasonable value.

Euroholds look pretty cheap. I spent a long time choosing from their site before noticing that they are not exporting to the UK at the moment.

Sorry, didn't mean to start a Brexit thread

Sean_J 27 Jan 2021
In reply to redpointillist:

Ha, snap re. Euroholds- I did email them quite a few times, they're being frustratingly vague with me, it feels like they can't be bothered to deal with the UK. The last thing they said to me was that they have a 500 EUR minimum order (although going by their past emails, that might not be true either by now). Maybe some enterprising UKCer needs to sort out a group buy for those that only want a smaller value order. I bet the shipping will be expensive though.

In reply to J1234:

Depends if ‘value’ means best or cheapest.

if you’re after resin holds, then Holdz.co.uk are excellent and very reasonably priced for sets. I’ve been really impressed with their customer service too.

the best wooden holds are available from HardwoodHolds or Beastmaker, both of which are excellent, and you’ll see them on walls around the country. Honourable mention for Crusherholds too. Utilitarian but still great.

I’ve had loads from  Euroholds, particularly as their wooden holds are a bit different so are good for mixing things up a bit.

worth getting dedicated little screw ons for feet. Available from most of the above.

In reply to J1234:

Just checked out Euroholds and it looks like they haven’t got their act together yet. Odd really, as I’ve being buying ok from other EU suppliers since our exit. Anyhow, there’s loads of great U.K. suppliers who will probably appreciate the custom

mrjonathanr 27 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

Rick Ginns makes nice holds:

https://www.strongholds.co.uk

Core do pretty good /inexpensive footholds.

J1234 27 Jan 2021
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Thanks. Cheap is my aim, the wood ones are beautiful and I am sure excellent value. But I just want to put a few holds on the wall in my warehouse and get myself moving.

J1234 27 Jan 2021
In reply to mrjonathanr:

Those look nice and Rick is a nice chap, but a bit more than I want to spend.

For what I want I suppose I could screw some blocks of 3 x2 to the wall and slaters batten for my feet.

Post edited at 16:30
 Killianmurphy 27 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

100% affiliated with King Kong Post: 

King Kong sell Climbing Holds

https://www.kongrunning.com/training-equipment/climbing-hold/exercise-equip...

and Volumes: 

https://www.kongrunning.com/training-equipment/climbing-volumes/exercise-eq...

We stock the classic Kong Shapes and will be looking to expand our offering to other brands very soon.

As for Value for money, I would say our holds are great value for money ... but I am also employed by King Kong, so I'll leave the value for money to the whim of the following comments. 

The stock online is available for next day delivery and they come with bolts. We have more stock on the way soon. 

The Volumes are a new addition this year and New Hold shapes are currently in development, so it's very much exciting times at King Kong HQ

Bouldering Ben 27 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

Gumtree 

Paul Crusher R 28 Jan 2021
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Honourable mention for Crusherholds too. Utilitarian but still great.

That's the 25% of my Germanic heritage kicking in. I certainly appreciate a good looking hold, and have spent many hours making what I think are good looking custom shapes. The crusher board holds fit in the market slot where you are that concerned with balling the hell out of the crimp that you certainly don't have any head space left to ponder aesthetics. Like cheap Germanic beer, does the trick just as well, costs less, so you can have more

J1234 28 Jan 2021
In reply to Paul Crusher R:

> Honourable mention for Crusherholds too. Utilitarian but still great.

Yes your fingerboard is excellent, thank you

Si dH 28 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

I have wooden holds from all of the following on my board (in no particular order):

Crusher

Hardwood Holds

Artemis fingerboards (they do holds and volumes as well)

Taylor Made holds

Rick Ginns (Strongholds)

Beastmaker

Euroholds

and I bought some small crimps for training from Buzz Climbing.

Apart from Euroholds these are all (mostly very small) UK businesses which I thought it was good to support. Quality is great from all of them. Euroholds are easily the worst in quality terms (still perfectly usable.)

What is good value you'd have to judge, some are more expensive than others, some put more time in to aesthetics and some do a bigger range of hold types that are probably more time consuming to make.

I'd definitely recommend considering all of them.

If you want a lot and you are short on cash, buy a cheap angle grinder and a length of 2*4 I have made a couple of really good holds like that.

Post edited at 13:47
 Sprucedgoose 28 Jan 2021
In reply to Si dH:

Angle Grinder + What do you use for the shaping?

Sean_J 28 Jan 2021
In reply to Sean_J:

An exciting update - I just got my new holds from Custom Holds, only 2 days after I ordered them! Very pleased with them, I don't think I could find anything better for the money. Texture is medium i'd say, not fine-grained but it's not too rough even for longer sessions. I got a set of 30 mini-jugs, which will be perfect for a long easy circuit on a steep board, and medium ripples - which is quite a nice mixture of positive holds, pinches and big edges. I'd suggest emailing first to see what they have in stock before ordering if you want a certain colour(s), their email support was excellent throughout too btw. I'll be buying more from them in future.

ChrisBrooke 28 Jan 2021
In reply to Paul Crusher R:

Hi Paul. At the moment most things I click on on your site say ‘out of stock’. Do you just make to order, or are you not taking orders at the moment?

Cheers,

Chris. 

Si dH 28 Jan 2021
In reply to Sprucedgoose:

> Angle Grinder + What do you use for the shaping?

I just use a hand saw to cut the very rough shape wooden block and an angle grinder with a zirconia flap disc to do all the real shaping. There are some limitations to what I can make (eg no pockets) but that's all that is really essential. I also have a handheld electric sander that I use to sand the finish but that's a nice to have; the finish with the grinder is usable if you are just on a tight budget.

Keith C 28 Jan 2021
In reply to J1234:

For wood holds can also recommend beta blox. Good value for domes and bigger holds. 

struds 29 Jan 2021

Holdz for me - I’ve got 1000 holds on my wall and they offer best value for money, likely half of mine are from holdz. Don’t go cheap, you will regret it.

next up hardwood holds. More expensive but dropping £150-200 on a box was well worth it.

Next up Core. Most expensive but a set or 2 of medium jugs were great for circuits and kind on the skin. 

dankni 04 Feb 2021
In reply to J1234:

I've been building a wall in my loft, here is my view:

Best value has been custom holds mini jugs, they're cheap, super fast delivery, and come with fixings. The downside is they don't have a metal washer in the bolt hole so may be weaker (no issues for me so far): https://customholds.com/

Core Climbing has the best shapes (mimic real rock which I like) and also exceptional value when you look at the amount and size of holds in the packs: https://coreclimbing.co.uk/

Holdz have good smaller packs and are very quick to deliver, but often out of stock on what you want. Decent value for money, but per hold more expensive than the above: https://www.holdz.co.uk/

I also recently used tri-point who shipped from Poland and have great hold shapes, great value, and only took a week to get here (UK). Really impressed with the shape options I got: https://tripoint-holds.com/en/

I have used Beacon in the past too. Based near Snowdon, so great to stop by on trips. they are very good value as well but they don't have easy online ordering:
https://beaconclimbingholds.com/beacon-climbing-holds/

Ram MkiV 04 Feb 2021
In reply to Si dH:

> I just use a hand saw to cut the very rough shape wooden block and an angle grinder with a zirconia flap disc to do all the real shaping.

For anyone interested, I made a video the other day detailing this method:
youtube.com/watch?v=VhqKRplo_Gk&

C Witter 04 Feb 2021
In reply to J1234:

Best way to save is probably to think carefully about what you want. I got some very cheap holds from "Alien Holdz UK" to add around my hangboard, but didn't think through carefully what I wanted them for. Ended up getting two expensive wooden holds from "TaylorMadeHolds", but they're great and to be honest I could have just got those instead of all the resin ones. I also had to get screw-ons as I don't really have the right set up for bolt-ons. 

p.s. maybe you can just chip a few feet. Ent that standard Lancashire practice?

Post edited at 10:23
 PaulJepson 04 Feb 2021
In reply to Sean_J:

You can make pretty cheap feet with a stack of washers. 

ASharpe 04 Feb 2021
In reply to J1234:

I recently bought a whole bunch from beacon. Their holds are fine and very good value. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...