UKC

Nubuck leather boots - care

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 26 Feb 2021

Hello! 

I have some lovely new boots trundling their way to me through the logistics network. Previous leather boots have been traditional shiny leather (a pair of Scarpa SL's which have done well over a decade and don't owe me anything and before that a pair of Berghaus leather one). I would love to hear any top tips on caring for nubuck boots.

This article was really helpful: 

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/base-camp/nubuck-leather-pros-cons/ 

But I know there will be some excellent knowledge on UKC as well. 

Thanks all!

BB

Guy Hurst 26 Feb 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

Before you first use them give them a couple of coats of the Grangers proofing spray. It helps keep the stains at bay for a long time. Clean them after each use, if you an be bothered, and treat with spray or the Nikwax nubuck and suede proof.

If they start wetting out too quickly, or you cant be bothered with the faff of keeping the nubuck looking good, just  polish them with Graingers wax or similar. They'll just look like any other leather boots, and I can't say as I've ever noticed a decrease in breathability in real use.

PaulJepson 26 Feb 2021

Do you want them to stay all nice and nubucky? If you aren't bothered, the nikwax waterproofing wax for leather will be the best waterproof treatment for them. It'll ruin them aesthetically and they'll be all waxy but totally waterproof. 

BuzyG 27 Feb 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Do you want them to stay all nice and nubucky? If you aren't bothered, the nikwax waterproofing wax for leather will be the best waterproof treatment for them. It'll ruin them aesthetically and they'll be all waxy but totally waterproof. 

Completely agree with this.

OP bouldery bits 27 Feb 2021

Thanks all. 

I think I'll try keeping the Nubuck nice at first but, ultimately, I'm not that bothered about the 'style points' so will probably end up waxing them to oblivion.

No one looks cool with soggy socks or blisters!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...