UKC

Liability for informal events

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 12 Mar 2021

Reposted from "The Pub" - wondered what your thoughts were?

So I started doing a long distance bike ride every year quite a while ago (3 -4 days, crashing at B&Bs / campsites etc), then eventually one or two mates would tag along and it's become a semi regular thing.  We all know each other.  I generally do the organising, the accommodation, the transport, support van, collect all the cash, pay for it all.

Totally not for profit - keep detailed spending records of what's in and out and anything left at the end is paid back to the riders.

There's 11 of us involved this year. I'm idly wondering at what point this turns from a couple of mates going out for a ride, into an organised event and whether I should be worried about being held liable should anything go wrong...or am I over thinking it?

We're all friends but I'm wondering worst case scenario, someone has an accident that causes serious damage or loss of income...could it change into something more litigious.

Would a very plain note / email to everyone stating the nature of the ride to everyone be enough to cover myself?  I'm suggesting personal insurance for everyone...maybe I should insist on it.

Hopefully I'm overthinking it...

In reply to ThunderCat:

>>I generally do the organising, the accommodation, the transport, support van, collect all the cash, pay for it all

As well as insurance you might need to check package holiday regulations?

Jim Lancs 12 Mar 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I've done this (including trips overseas) and have always felt that liability extends no further than the civil liability we all carry all the time in everything we do.

However when the size of the the event got to the point that 'friends of friends' showed up for day rides and then people who no one was really sure who's friends they were also turned up, I started to run it through a national body like the CTC or BMBO, etc. There was a charge (IIRC) of about £1 which provided everyone with 3rd party insurance on the road and full organiser's indemnity. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...