UKC

Murray Walker... R.I.P...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

... "there's nothing wrong with the car... except its on fire"...!!!

Another hero of my youth gone... as an avid F1 fan, particularly in the 80's, those late Sunday night BBC2 Grand Prix highlights shows were eagerly anticipated...

R.I.P Murray Walker... your F1 commentaries were one of the soundtracks of my youth...

Denning76 13 Mar 2021
In reply to Richard Wheeldon:

Both shocking and not shocking at the same time, but I am utterly gutted. My very earliest memory I possess is of watching F1 on my dad's lap and, by extension, of Murray Walker. I think it is safe to say that he formed part of the soundtrack for the childhood of motorsport fans across the UK.

I don't recall ever hearing anyone speak negatively of him. That says more about him than I ever could.

Post edited at 19:52
 jonfun21 13 Mar 2021

“The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical”

RIP

DerwentDiluted 13 Mar 2021

"And that of course is the advantage of having a clear windscreen"

<crunch>

Gone for good 13 Mar 2021
In reply to Denning76:

You should read his autobiography, Unless I'm very much mistaken. A fantastic story of his life and his own motorcycle racing days as well as his career in marketing which he managed to maintain whilst commentating on all kind of Motorsports with the BBC. A very well lived life and a very likeable character. 

... and of course, for those of us of a certain age he was responsible for: "Opel Fruits... made to make your mouth water"...

Denning76 13 Mar 2021
In reply to Gone for good:

I've read it, brilliant book. His appearance on the Beyond the Grid podcast is must listen stuff too.

Post edited at 20:22
 Ian W 13 Mar 2021

Very sad news.

There will never be anyone as knowledgeable about motorsport in all its forms than Murray Walker.

Complete legend.

Blue Straggler 13 Mar 2021

“His wheel’s come off!” 

Removed User 13 Mar 2021

I'm imagining the funeral.

The hearse arriving at 120 mph to come to a halt in front of six mourners crouching at the church door who remove the coffin in 3.25 seconds before the hearse screeches off again...

He was quite a guy.

Post edited at 20:49
In reply to Ian W:

> Very sad news.

> There will never be anyone as knowledgeable about motorsport in all its forms than Murray Walker.

> Complete legend.

... yes, I met him once, albeit briefly... in the car park queue after the 1984 British GP at Brands Hatch he was in the car beside us...

... my then girlfriend shoved me out of our car and told me to go and get him to sign my race weekend program which I duly did... I've still got that program...

colinakmc 13 Mar 2021

Legend. His commentaries were a delight to listen to even when he was getting it right (which was nearly all of the time) - and so emotionally involved. 

We’ll miss you, Murray.

Blue Straggler 13 Mar 2021
In reply to colinakmc:

Yes, I actually always thought of him more in terms of his excitability in commentary, than the “Colemanballs”

Babika 13 Mar 2021

I love F1. Loved his commentary.

A man who looked to enjoy every moment of life with a big smile on his face. We could all learn from that level of energy and enjoyment.

RIP Murray

Sean Kelly 14 Mar 2021

"There's nothing wrong with the car  except it's on fire!"

RIP Murray.

Timmd 14 Mar 2021

One always knew he was a thoroughly good egg. RIP.

Post edited at 12:58
 Tom Valentine 14 Mar 2021

I think Murray would have pointed that Opel made the Manta, .........

Bulls Crack 14 Mar 2021

There he goes.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...