UKC

SPOTLIGHT: New Climbing Gear Spring/Summer '21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 15 Mar 2021
Spotlight: Climbing Gear

Next up in our Spotlight gear round-ups is climbing gear. We've chatted with brands about the latest hardware, ropes, harnesses, helmets and every other form of gear. Plus, everything is hitting the shops imminently...

Read more
 Stegosaur 15 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC Gear:

Why are all of these videos unlisted on your YouTube channel?

In reply to Stegosaur:

> Why are all of these videos unlisted on your YouTube channel?

The plan is to put each into the various playlists on YouTube, such as the one we have already created for Footwear (see pic below); however, given the sheer number of videos we have had to edit - and the fact that they're in separate playlists on UKC/UKH - two most recent categories have slipped through the net.

We'll aim to get our YouTube Channel updated ASAP, but in the meanwhile you're best viewing them through UKC/UKH instead.

In reply to Stegosaur:

Thanks for pointing out. I thought I'd scheduled them to go public at a certain time, but had messed it up somehow. Should work now.

Nick

galpinos 17 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC Gear:

Really excited by the Edelrid Protect ropes, seems like a leap forward for a product instead of just incremental improvements. An aramid reinforced cut resistant 8.2mm........

In reply to galpinos:

> Really excited by the Edelrid Protect ropes, seems like a leap forward for a product instead of just incremental improvements. An aramid reinforced cut resistant 8.2mm........

I too am excited about this, so much so that from the moment I first saw them I said "I'M REVIEWING THOSE". 

Whilst their 8.9mm Swift Pro Protect Dry held appeal, it didn't quite fit the bill for what I primarily wanted it for + needed (i.e. an all round rope for trad climbing on sea cliffs and mountain crags within the British Isles). The Starling 8.2mm however, fits that criteria perfectly.

If you hadn't seen the review of the Swift Pro Protect Dry (say that three times...) here's a link: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/climbing/ropes/edelrid_swift_protect_pro_dr...

galpinos 18 Mar 2021
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Agree with all of that. I had been aware of the actual failure methods of ropes, issues with cut resistance etc and saw the cut resistance machine/demo in the flesh at Outdoor 2019. I was pretty impressed.

I have a Swift Pro Dry as I saw a benefit in having a skinny-ish triple but the protect version would be an ideal alpine single rope, all those running belays and running ropes around natural features whilst traversing ridges etc. As my Beal Cobras are down to 40m each I might be dusting of the credit card for a pair of Starling 60s......

In reply to galpinos:

They should be arriving relatively soon and as/when they do I'll be putting them straight to use. Alongside the review we'll also be doing a video too, so watch this space...

galpinos 18 Mar 2021

Looking forward to it!

Is the starling a triple rope too? Or a half rope? Thanks

In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

Hi Simon,

The Starling 8.2mm is a double/half rope - so not triple rated. The Swift 8.9mm, which has also been mentioned, is triple rated.

Can't wait for them to arrive now, not least because it'll give me an excuse to go out and use them (not that I needed much of an excuse).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...