UKC

ARTICLE: Mind and Matter - Climbing and Body Image

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 03 Jun 2021

While researching for this essay I watched 'LIGHT', a film by Caroline Treadway, which depicts the dark underbelly of body image in rock climbing. In the documentary, Treadway articulately demonstrates how a few dirt bags drinking beer and making visionary first ascents turned into a collective weight-loss culture. The same can be said for most sports, for all participation levels. Freddie Flintoff talked recently about his battles with bulimia that started during his professional cricketing career and still haunt him to this day. When childhood idol Colin Jackson, who seemed to embody the epitome of athleticism, recently spoke about his battles with disordered eating during his athletic heyday, it didn't surprise me.

Read more

Toerag 03 Jun 2021
In reply to UKC Articles:

"BMI isn't helpful either. Numerous reasons stack up as to why it is not an accurate measure of health, but the main one, and the most worrying for sports hobbyists, is that it doesn't distinguish between fat and muscle mass. Yet BMI is still regularly promoted."

It's still promoted because it does have relevance for the majority of the population, weight is weight as far as things like your joints are concerned, and the more body your heart has to push blood around the harder it has to work - pure physics. As the article hotlinked to states, yes there may be more accurate methods of measuring body health, but they're not practical for everyday usage.  My skeleton and heart haven't changed since I stopped growing, yet middle-aged spread is making them work harder and wear out quicker. Change in BMI measures that easily.

Post edited at 16:53

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...