UKC

Alagna or Gressoney for Gnifetti?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 12 Aug 2021

As per title, I'm hoping to get to the Gnifetti refuge in September, and was hoping to pitch a tent in Alagna or Gressoney , and leave it with the car and use the cable cars and hike to spend 2 or 3 nights at the Gnifetti Refuge.

I have no knowledge of the area, and can only find one campsite - the Campeggio Alegna, which doesn't look that appetising to me.

Does anyone know of any other campsites in the area, or do I need a different strategy?

Ta

Fred

s2122 12 Aug 2021
In reply to Fredt:

Campeggio Alagna isn't the nicest campsite but isn't quite as bad as it looks - there is a strip of ground for tents on the side by the river. The valley is pretty dark though and Alagna is quite expensive.  Don't think there is much camping in Gressoney valley, but haven't been for a while.

Depending on where you are starting from and other plans you could just leave the car in the parking by the lift in Gressoney?

Where they exist, Italian campsites in that part of the Alps seem to be mostly static caravans with a bit of space for tents and aren't that appealing but maybe I just haven't found the right one! 

streapadair 12 Aug 2021
In reply to Fredt:

There's a campsite just down from the lifts at Staffal, but it seems to be all hard standing for campervans. Might be worth asking though.

I think Camping Margherita at Gressoney St Jean takes tents. About 20 mins below Staffal by car.

colinakmc 12 Aug 2021
In reply to Fredt:

Don’t know how much difference it would make. The lift systems intersect anyway; we based ourselves at Staffal a few years ago and first day we went up 2 stages from Staffal then down one on the Alagna(?) sideside, to tackle the Via Ferrata. (Which was a bit forgettable but the ridge above it was nice)

That’s all from memory btw, but that was the gist of it. 

pec 12 Aug 2021
In reply to Fredt:

Despite the AC Valais Alps guidebook describing Alagna Valsesia as "unattractive" I found it to be a charming little town and the campsite very pleasant with good facilities and a very friendly, helpful owner. Perhaps there's more than one?

I can't remember if there's a campsite in the Gressonay valley, I just dossed in the back of my car, and as someone said above, left it in the lift station car park while we were in the mountains. Shortly before the lift station is a little camper van area with a toilet block but you couldn't pitch a tent on it.

Kees 13 Aug 2021
In reply to Fredt:

Camping Margaritha in Gressoney is usable. It has a large field full of caravans and campers and a small field for tents (which was chock full when we were there). Bathroom facilities are good. Not a place to say for long, but for a few nights it's not too bad.

The pizza in the camping cafe was disgusting. A cheap deep freeze pizza, quickly heated up in a microwave! And expensive at that.                                                                                                        

walts4 13 Aug 2021
In reply to s2122: 

‘The valley is pretty dark though and Alagna is quite expensive.  Don't think there is much camping in Gressoney valley, but haven't been for a while.’

Really surprised to read that Alagna is expensive, it’s certainly not Chamonix expensive or expensive by Italian tourist trap standards.

Theres a free car park in Alagna in which you can leave the car with no issues.

Camping up high is tolerated, using the lift to transport all the gear & food is accepted.

The big issue between Gressoney & Alagna is the drive time & depending if you’ve traveled down the Aosta valley or approaching from the Simplon?

There are campsites lower down the Valsesia valley if the Alagna one is unsuitable.

Feel free to msg me if any more information is required, I’m usually resident in Alagna when not working.

streapadair 13 Aug 2021
In reply to Fredt:

I should be out in Gressoney right now and be able to give you definitive answers, but the restrictions on UK visitors have put the mockers on that. Thank you Boris, you fvcking useless cvnt.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...