UKC

Dodgy number plates

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hooo 09 Dec 2021

I have an odd question, so of course I'm turning to UKC for an answer.

There's a drug dealer who parks up outside my work who has two shiny new Range Rovers with similar tw*tplates on them. They both begin G007 and are not regulation font. Out of curiousity I ran the numbers through the DVLA checker and they come up as not found. Not really that surprising. Today near my home I saw a big pick up truck and happened to notice the number plate also started G007 and wasn't a legal font. So I checked that one, and it's not found. While dodgy vehicles probably outnumber legal ones in the area where I work, this is definitely not the case where I live, so this one is a bit more unusual. 

So is there something about G007 plates that means that they don't show up properly in a DVLA check? Or is it a popular choice for a made up number plate? Or just a coincidence?

mondite 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Hooo:

0 or O?

My assumption would be they should be the letter but have gone for dodgy font/outright incorrect to try and be james bondy. Have you searched for GO07?

Post edited at 08:55
 JoshOvki 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Hooo:

I have never understood why criminals do things like that? Dodgy number plate, no insurance, no MOT, drive like a tw*t. Wouldn't you want to be inconspicuous as possible so you didn't get pulled over with a load of drugs?

Adam Lincoln 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Hooo:

I think you are cocking up what you put into the DVLA checker. 

OP Hooo 09 Dec 2021
In reply to JoshOvki:

I wondered the same thing. But round here they don't give a f**k. They like to be as ostentatious as possible.

Adam Lincoln 09 Dec 2021

In reply to Hooo:

> I tried every combination of O and zero.

Whats the reg?

felt 09 Dec 2021
In reply to JoshOvki:

> I have never understood why criminals do things like that? Dodgy number plate, no insurance, no MOT, drive like a tw*t. Wouldn't you want to be inconspicuous as possible so you didn't get pulled over with a load of drugs?

It's the old double bluff game. I drive an old Volvo. People think I can't really be safe, dull and boring, but I really am.

Michael Hood 09 Dec 2021
In reply to JoshOvki:

You are applying your own level of intelligence to others without any evidence that this might be correct - a common mistake 😁

OP Hooo 09 Dec 2021
In reply to mondite:

Ah ha, you've got it. GO07 comes back as a proper plate. So it's the usual tw*tplate thing of using a 0 as an O to create their desired look.

Question answered, thanks all.

Adam Lincoln 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Hooo:

> Ah ha, you've got it. GO07 comes back as a proper plate. So it's the usual tw*tplate thing of using a 0 as an O to create their desired look.

> Question answered, thanks all.

As i said, you were cocking it up. 

tlouth7 09 Dec 2021
In reply to JoshOvki:

You are missing the point, they become drug dealers so they have a reason to drive around in flashy Range Rovers.

I like having lots of metal bling on my person but don't reckon I could pull off being a gangsta, so I became a climber.

kipper12 09 Dec 2021
In reply to JoshOvki:

False flag, a bit like police Q cars which come in many varieties.  A long way from the times they were mostly black Seris BMW’s

chris_r 09 Dec 2021
In reply to tlouth7:

> I like having lots of metal bling on my person but don't reckon I could pull off being a gangsta, so I became a climber.

Brilliant. I'm stealing that line.

FactorXXX 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

> As i said, you were cocking it up. 

C0ck1ng it up surely?

Adam Lincoln 09 Dec 2021
In reply to FactorXXX:

> C0ck1ng it up surely?

indeed!

bigbobbyking 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Hooo:

I don't understand why 0 and O are both allowed as number plate characters, seems obvious people will get them mixed up.

In reply to bigbobbyking:

They didn't used to be, prior to the 01,51 system. No O, I, Z and probably others. 

tlouth7 09 Dec 2021

Under the normal pattern you know which positions are numerals and which are letters. Anyway I'm sure ANPR systems, and hopefully web forms, are capable of checking for such errors.

When telling someone my mumberplate I even say 'oh' when I mean 'zero' and it is never a problem.

hang_about 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Hooo:

I wouldn't be too convinced about the abilities of ANPR systems

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/driver-sent-fine-after-strangers-t-shirt-a...

freeflyer 09 Dec 2021
In reply to hang_about:

Looks like they may be using some kind of OCR system. I feel the need to have some number plate T shirts made up...

Can anyone help with plates for the following:

Boris
JRM
Lord Frost

Bottom Clinger 09 Dec 2021
In reply to FactorXXX:

> C0ck1ng it up surely?

Looks like Hoo’s neighbours are cokeing it up (their nose). 

In reply to Hooo:

I so wanted the thread to be about doggy number plates but alas.....

CantClimbTom 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Hooo:

D Deeside to Shrewsbury Chester Shrewsbury DA DB DC DD DE DF DG DH DJ DK DL DM DN DO DP DR DS DT DU DV DW DX DY

So DO  DVLA office 07 age

EDIT: Ooops should've gone to specsavers, trying again

G Garden of England Maidstone

Brighton GA GB GC GD GE GF GG GH GJ GK GL GM GN GO GP GR GS GT GU GV GW GX GY

G0 (Maidstone DVLA office)  and 07 age

Post edited at 15:40
 Toerag 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Hooo:

Shop them. a bit of Police involvement into their lives would probably be a good thing for the community.

OP Hooo 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Toerag:

I did! Not sure if they did anything. The dealers are clearly not a high priority, as all they'd have to do to catch a few would be to hang around at 8:45 every morning while the junkies line up waiting for their delivery. I thought a motoring offence might get a bit more attention.

Post edited at 19:09
OP Hooo 09 Dec 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Where would BE11 END be from? Would be ideal for the sort of person who wants a personalised registration...

Max Hangs 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Hooo:

Birmingham...

ScraggyGoat 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Hooo:

I’ve always assumed private plates with a mix of repeating similar characters eg G6, B8, O0 ect was to make it more likely that anyone reporting bad driving of said vehicle had a greater chance of providing a partial or incorrect registration to the police and thus hamper any prosecution/visit. Or the same for speed cameras if the rear number plate was very muddy, or had a bit of tape added because they planned to floor it over a long distance.

Obviously by that logic the owners know they drive like tw*ts.

what they don’t realise if someone gets the plate spot on its so unique they have no chance pleading mistaken identity.

CantClimbTom 10 Dec 2021
In reply to Hooo:

One of my neighbours probably

Until recently he had that fake twin-exhaust thing you stick onto the end of a single exhaust pipe because everyone will be so completely fooled by it obviously

jkarran 10 Dec 2021
In reply to Hooo:

Try go07...

jk

Babika 10 Dec 2021
In reply to Hooo:

I worked for a police force once that put away a drug dealer and confiscated his car with DRUGGIE on the reg plate (can't remember the exact letters/numbers). 

They also persuaded DVLA to permanently remove the plate from circulation. Good stuff.

Ridge 10 Dec 2021
In reply to Babika:

There does seem to be a craze for tw@t plates at present. Squashed up letters, odd fonts, random spaces, a black number plate bolt to almost change "11" to "H".

All that effort to make other people think you can almost, but not quite, manage to spell your own name.

pec 10 Dec 2021

> I don't understand why 0 and O are both allowed as number plate characters, seems obvious people will get them mixed up.

It depends on their position on the plate, two letters, two numbers, three letters. My car is the same, the O and the 0 are exactly the same but their position tells you what they are.

I can assure you that speed cameras can read them!

artif 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Ridge:

W@#ker plates, Dave Gorman did a show on how to avoid getting one as a gift.

The only one that did make me take a second glance, years ago, was on a blacked out Range Rover, it was M15 SPY, it was either a great double bluff or a very crap spy.

Re avoiding cameras etc a colleague bought a car with apparently normal looking plates, but when viewed through the cctv camera at the mot station it showed different letters and numbers. Which may explain why he didn't get fined for missing the dart charge. 

In reply to Hooo:

There used to be a wedding limo in Edinburgh with the number plate HURE.

Maybe you've got to speak German to appreciate that one

OP Hooo 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Babika:

I don't understand why they would remove the plate from circulation? If there are dealers dumb enough to buy a number plate that advertises the fact then they should be allowed to go ahead. Makes it easy for the police to spot them, and they can hardly complain about being stopped and searched!

mike123 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Hooo:

> Where would BE11 END be from? Would be ideal for the sort of person who wants a personalised registration...

A friends tenant worked at a car parts place and had that made up for her then boy friend and wrapped it up as a joke present . Turned out it wasn’t a joke .  I then tried to purchase it from her for future use but was outbid by my mate . At the time I had a boss who I would have loved to super glue it over his sh 1 t plate .

wercat 11 Dec 2021
In reply to artif:

I saw CUJ1M in Glasgow once.  More worrying I saw something like JM1FIX the other day until I noticed it was a breakdown business with a proprietor called Jim

Post edited at 12:15
 Andy Hardy 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> They didn't used to be, prior to the 01,51 system. No O, I, Z and probably others. 

Pretty sure AO was the code for Cumbria before the 01,51 change

MarkAstley 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

O (oh) was definitely in use, I had K407 NOT as a reg on one of my cars way back.

Mark

jonny taylor 11 Dec 2021
In reply to wercat:

If we are talking about Glasgow, it’s a matter of great regret that I didn’t get a photo of the boy racer on Dumbarton Road with the number plate WEE 61E

wercat 11 Dec 2021
In reply to MarkAstley:

not to mention "little ORM" a kishorn survey (Dimensional Control) landrover that had a Cumbrian origin

Sealwife 11 Dec 2021
In reply to MarkAstley:

Mr S bought an old motorbike with the reg COW 60W.  I really wish we’d kept it.

Post edited at 17:21
 Pedro50 11 Dec 2021

I saw a Porshe in the North East with:

Y I PET which amused me but the driver looked a bit of a knob. 

Ridge 11 Dec 2021
In reply to artif:

> The only one that did make me take a second glance, years ago, was on a blacked out Range Rover, it was M15 SPY, it was either a great double bluff or a very crap spy.

That's interesting. Apparently someone turned up to join the TA Intelligence Corps in the 1990s with that exact same registration on their car. Strangely they didn't get in.

Ridge 11 Dec 2021
In reply to jonny taylor:

> If we are talking about Glasgow, it’s a matter of great regret that I didn’t get a photo of the boy racer on Dumbarton Road with the number plate WEE 61E

I like that!

A scottish bloke I used to work with wasn't happy when his wife's new car arrived with FUD in the registration.

In reply to Hooo:

We went around the Longleat safari park in the summer and were behind a seriously flash Merc with totally illegal (font, spacing,  colour) plates. However,  the monkeys sorted it for him. They totally removed all the letters and numbers from his plate which made the visit even more enjoyable for us. And even better,there was a BBC news report a day or so later saying he'd been pulled over on the M4 for having no plates, pleading monkeys ate my number plate  

mountainbagger 12 Dec 2021
In reply to artif:

> W@#ker plates

Speaking of which, there was a car in my mum's street with 1 CUR. I never twigged until my mum just read it out when out walking. She had no idea what she'd said nor why my brother and I were sniggering.

artif 12 Dec 2021
In reply to Ridge:

It was late 90's when I saw it, in Didcot. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...