UKC

Driving to the alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 22 Jan 2022

I’ve driven to the alps quiet a few times over the years , summer and winter but it’s about 5 years since I last did so and I’m putting a tick list together . I’m going to saint gervais (near chamonix  ) . I’ve driven to Cham from the lakes in a oner several times so I’m pretty familiar with the route . However I have a few questions about sone variations . 

tunnel vs ferry ? I’ve never taken the tunnel and I’m thinking of doing so .

stoping overnight on the way ? I’ve only ever done this as a last resort and have pulled off the auto route  and gone to the nearest F1 when too tired to drive . I think I’m going to pre book a stop about 3 hours from Calais . The last time I stopped in an F1 I ended up sleeping in the van ( kids in the room ) as the part of town was so dodgy I thought the risk to the van and contents was so great I wouldn’t sleep anyway . So I’m thinking somewhere slightly more upmarket . Any suuggestiins ? Where do you stop ?

I think the other stuff I’ve got covered … chains , winter tyres , triangle kit but all and any reminders are welcome .

Post edited at 09:04
 DaveHK 22 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

We stopped in Reims once which is 2.5hrs from Calais. There are loads of options just off the autoroute there. I can't remember which one we stayed in but it wasn't in a dodgy area, it was a typical retail park type thing.

cezza 22 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

Drove from Manchester to Les Deux Alpes February half term 2 years ago. Tunnel there and back as other half doesn’t like boats at the best of times and hates rough sea crossings. Stopped at Troyes on the way down and Reims on the way back. 

Alternatively if you have some to share the driving with just do it in shifts and don’t stop. 

OP mike123 22 Jan 2022
In reply to cezza: how did you find the tunnel ( well it’s pretty near Folkestone ….boom boom ) ?  

whenry 22 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

We've stay at Reims too, in a Hotel Premiere Classe - there are at three there (and from memory Reims Nord is a bit newer, but not quite so convenient, but does have a secure car park). They're a step up from F1, though don't expect the Hilton. Alternatively Campanile are a further step up, and often adjacent to a Premiere Classe.

I'd do the tunnel over ferry - we've done both, and the ferry is often delayed, and is slower. It wasn't so bad when DFDS had a more frequent service as they'd let you onto a slightly later or earlier boat, even on their cheap tickets, but last time I looked in early 2020 they'd reduced the number of sailings to the extent that this policy was moot. Eurotunnel, on the other hand, let you rock up about two hours either side of your booking and will put you on the next train for no extra charge - their website's a bit coy about this, and it is discretionary, but we've never had a problem (even when everyone was panicking and trying to get back to England on the day the French closed their borders in 2020).

Jamie Wakeham 22 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

I don't think there's a vast amount in it.  The tunnel is faster, more expensive, and pretty boring (you can't go anywhere, so you just sit in your car).  We usually took the ferry - the opportunity to have a half decent meal in the restaurant was welcome after the drive to Dover, as was the opportunity to walk around for a bit and get some fresh air.

We tended to stop in Champagne or Chablis.  Lots of nice rural Chambres d'Hotes - a bit more expensive than an F1 but much more welcoming.

Don't forget you each need a reflective jacket accessible in the car, and that your old GB sticker is no longer valid and must be replaced by a UK sticker.  Is this the fabled Brexit Benefit?

Jenny C 22 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

Tunnel is substantially quicker and as you stay in your vehicle I would guess much lower Covid risk. Price wise (not used it since covid times) there is nothing in it, but as above we have found them very flexible if you turn up early.

OP mike123 22 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

Thanks all so far . Keep them coming . Tunnel cost is now pretty close to ferry and I think the big difference  in the past has put me off , plus the enforced  break on the ferry Is good . 

OP mike123 22 Jan 2022
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Can you remember any specific chambers d hote that are good . Champagne/ Chablis look about right distance wise ( I want to get sone km s in before stopping ) 

Post edited at 10:20
 Jamie Wakeham 22 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

I hadn't realised that the prices were now so much closer - last time we went, the tunnel was around twice the price.  Perhaps in these covid times, being confined to your car in the tunnel might be seen as preferable to being forced to leave it on the ferry!

Last time we went was long enough ago that I can't remember specific places we stayed.  www.chambres-hotes.fr is how we usually booked them.

Jenny C 22 Jan 2022
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

> I hadn't realised that the prices were now so much closer - last time we went, the tunnel was around twice the price.  

Bizarrely the reason we use the tunnel was because when we first priced them up (2014) it was substantially cheaper than the ferry. Think that may have been partly because the ferry charged extra for vans due to the height, where as you pay a flat fee on the tunnel.

rsc 22 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

If you’re starting from the north of England, have you considered the ferry from Hull? It’s overnight, then you can get to Chamonix in a day. The Zeebrugge route doesn’t exist anymore but Rotterdam shouldn’t take much longer. Not sure how prices compare but obviously your overnight stop is included.

If someone in the party really  doesn’t like boats it’s a non-starter, but I always felt the holiday started as soon as we got aboard.

beardy mike 22 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

I do both boat and chunnel on from time to time. For me the biggest advantage of the tunnel is simply time. I know its only an hour, but somehow everytime I go by boat, that hour seems to make a big difference, especially going to the french alps in a oner. Because I'm usually going to Italy rather than France I often get to Dover in the afternoon after packing up that day, then cross and stop more or less just on the other side. That means I have a full day to get down there which makes things much more manageable... 

Post edited at 18:27
 seanhendo123 22 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

Its been a while (2018 last) but driven from Glasgow a few times.... First time I drove down through the day and I took the tunnel in the evening, other times I drove through the night and got an early ferry.

I find driving at night and the Ferry better.... Quiet roads at night rather than getting stuck in the inevitable heavy traffic, arrive a bit early have a little kip in van/car, a kip/stretch/food on the ferry, then easy high way to destination (mostly). I like the break in the journey the ferry gives and by driving through the night doesn't take 2 days each way. 

Sean

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...