UKC

waiting for a potential employer to get back to me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 justdoit 24 Jan 2022

hello, 

bit off an odd one but may as well try on here too. 

so ive applied for a job , had the interview last week (tuesday) all seemed to go ok. they said they had a couple more interviews to go through and would get back to me by the end of the week. 

they haven't got back to me.

I have emailed them last night (Sunday) and also today to tell them about first aid qualification that I have just completed this weekend . 

how long would people usually wait for an employer to get back to them? I haven't been working for a couple of weeks now, and I'm starting to get bored and digging into my savings. 

the other thing is I really want this job but the lack of communication from the employer is quite irritating to say the least. I find it quite rude when potential employers do not reply to emails, I know people can be busy but surely its in their best interest too? 

I don't want to hassle them lots and fill up their email inbox. 

any advice / pointers much appreciated. 

thanks 

Harry Jarvis 24 Jan 2022
In reply to justdoit:

Phone them, rather than email them. 

abr1966 24 Jan 2022
In reply to justdoit:

I'm interviewing most of the day today...just having a break for 30 minutes....my view is that it's professional courtesy to be open with the candidates and tell them when you will let them know the outcome....if there's a delay there should be a courtesy call to let them know...

It's horrible waiting and not knowing....a phone call isn't too much time for them to update you...

In your shoes now I'd wait till about 4'ish and call them....good luck...

mutt 24 Jan 2022
In reply to justdoit:

I apply for jobs all the time being a contractor. I find that it's usually best to keep up the hunt for your perfect job and don't wait on anyone.  There are so many reasons for not getting the job or not hearing back that are absolutely nothing to do with your suitability for the role. Just plough on. Who knows. The next job you apply for might be even more perfect Waiting for a reply is wasted time.

Good luck

stubbed 24 Jan 2022
In reply to justdoit:

They might only have a couple of interviews for this role, but are they a recruitment manager with 50 vacancies to manage? They are likely waiting for feedback about you (or approval) from another manager rather than just not getting back to you. You have already left a message so you know they haven't forgotten you. I would move on with the hunt for more jobs then when they get to you it won't be time wasted.

In the last process where I was successful in being offered a job, I waited over a month to get feedback from the first interview as they needed authorisation to progress.

Dax H 24 Jan 2022
In reply to justdoit:

I would take it as a warning flag, if someone says they will let you know by weeks end they should at least let you know if there has been a delay. 

SouthernSteve 24 Jan 2022
In reply to justdoit:

It seems very common to keep people dangling: It is rude and unprofessional. It could be that

1. They are disorganised!

2. They have offered to someone else who is slow / negotiating

3. They would tell you, but HR need to do something magical with the offer - perhaps involving fairy dust!

At least they gave you a date, a student of mine was told the beginning of January and is still waiting! She really really wants the job, but it makes me wonder whether she should!

Forest Dump 24 Jan 2022
In reply to SouthernSteve:

D) someone's off sick with COVID

seankenny 24 Jan 2022
In reply to justdoit:

Don’t take it personally, assume dysfunction (v common), keep on applying for stuff.

If it makes you feel better I once got a reply three years after putting an application in.

SouthernSteve 24 Jan 2022
In reply to Forest Dump:

Good point!

Forest Dump 24 Jan 2022
In reply to seankenny:

3 years? My best one was about 6 months to get called to interview, and I thought that took the piss

seankenny 24 Jan 2022
In reply to Forest Dump:

> 3 years? My best one was about 6 months to get called to interview, and I thought that took the piss

Yes - needless to say it was a rejection. I was actually quite impressed at their chutzpah in bothering.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...