UKC

Recommendations for London-based mountaineering clubs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KArmstrong 01 Feb 2022

I’m looking to join one of the London-based climbing/mountaineering clubs. Any recommendations?

I’m an experienced mountaineer (Scotland, Alps, Himalaya), climbing at AD/D and ski-mountaineering. I’m aiming to get more regularly back into that after a couple of years away for various reasons.

Mostly what I want at the moment though is to find belay partners for the indoor London walls (probably mostly the Castle).

I’m early 40s, so a club that has members my sort of age would be great, and female, so would be keen to find one with a good gender mix as well.

Anyone have experience of the various London-based clubs they’d be willing to share? Thanks so much!

Paul Sagar 01 Feb 2022
In reply to KArmstrong:

Well I’m President of the North London Mountaineering Club so I’m not exactly impartial, but I’d say check us out!

As we are UK based we are in practice more a trad climbing club than a mountaineering one, but we do have a meet planned in the Écrins this July.

People usually meet on Monday nights for social climbing at The Castle - that’s a good way to get to know people. Lots of us in the 35-55 range so you won’t feel out of place!

Post edited at 13:30
 Paul Sagar 01 Feb 2022
In reply to Paul Sagar:

As you’ll see from our committee page we’ve got a good group of involved female climbers, it’s by no means a boys-only club. Our new members sec is Holly, who you can get in touch with via the website or chat forum - she can give you any further info you might desire!

www.nlmc.co.uk

In reply to KArmstrong:

I've been a member of the LMC for a while; has a decent range of trips both UK and abroad and is pretty friendly;

https://www.londonmountaineeringclub.com

If ski touring is your objective then check out the Eagles; their meets programme is ridiculously good!

OP KArmstrong 01 Feb 2022
In reply to featuresforfeet:

Thanks! I'll have a look. Do they meet regularly at one of the London walls during the week?

OP KArmstrong 01 Feb 2022
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Thanks Paul - I'll get in touch with Holly and ask some more questions!

In reply to KArmstrong:

Yes - Tuesday at Westway and I think there’s a Castle session too (can’t recall which day). There’s unofficial sub-groups that meet at bouldering walls too - if you’re SW London I can introduce you .

CurlyStevo 02 Feb 2022
In reply to KArmstrong:

LMC are good and they have a lot of meets and a hut in snowdonia.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...