UKC

Super Compact Solo Tent Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 crayefish 08 Feb 2022

Hello fellow gear magpies.  Despite owning 2 mountain tents and a hooped bivi... its seems I need another!  Ergh.  Having discovered bikepacking recently, it turns out that my palatial 2 person extended porch tent just eats a bit too much of the handlebar bag space (I.e. almost all), and I only really bivi when it's dry or sub zero.  As such, I am eyeing up solo tents...

What are folk's recommendations for very compact solo tents?  I don't mind a bit of weight (the bike is carrying it after all), but it needs to pack down pretty small.  It has to be outer or dual pitching (no crappy US brands please) for wet European weather, small porch for cooking, and suitable for someone who is 6'4".  While I do love a good Hilliberg, I was hoping for something a little cheaper as I'm already well tented...

I was thinking along the lines of Terra Nova Compact or Pulse 1s, Nordisk Lofoten 1 or Vaude Lizard 1 type tents... any experiences and recommendations, especially from taller folk?

Tony Buckley 08 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

Two things:

Have a look at Lightwave tents.  ( https://www.lightwave.uk.com/products/tents/lightwave-tents ) They understand that not everyone that wants a reasonably light, durable tent is under six feet tall.  And;

That said, I haven't used one myself.  Yet.  It's where I'll be looking next time though.

T.

65 08 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

I was going to suggest Nordisk. I have a Telemark UL and am 188cm, it'll be long enough for you but they are not cheap. 

Vango have started doing an inflatable tent which is extremely light and packs down tiny. I know nothing about it, I've only picked up a packed one and nearly bought it there and then, it was so small and light. Their stuff is usually good, might be worth a look. 

OP crayefish 08 Feb 2022
In reply to Tony Buckley:

Thanks for the link Tony.  Interesting range of tents, but alas nothing that quite fits the bill for me of a solo tent with small compact size (single wall not really ideal for wet weather).

OP crayefish 08 Feb 2022
In reply to 65:

Good to hear you like your Nordisk.  Why did you go for the Telemark over the Lofoten?  Any issues you've had with it?

I did see the Vango air tent but I don't fancy another Vango.  While my current expedition tent is a Hilliberg Keron, and I've enjoyed a Vaude Hogan in the past, I went for a cheaper Vango F10 Xenon UL 2+ for my current hiking tent.  While it's very light for the space, and pretty good value for what it is, the quality isn't that great to be honest and it lacks the usable details of Hilliberg (which one pays for of course) or even Vaude.  Thus, thought I'd try another brand.

TechnoJim 08 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

Tarptent Scarp 1? Dual pitch, 218cm internal length, not outrageously heavy even with the optional crossing poles, packs down to just under 50cm length. Porch size/space is adjustable.

Bugger to get hold of one at the moment though. I think it's a great piece of kit.

OP crayefish 08 Feb 2022
In reply to TechnoJim:

50cm would be too long for me really.  My Vango F10 packs to 46 x 16 and that's a bit of an arse to get into my handlebar bag and still leave the shifters operable (it's a drop bar gravel bike).  Thanks for the idea though.

Something around 30cm pack length would be handy.

greg_may_ 08 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

I've a Telemark, opted for it over the Lofoten due to the head height. It's not that heavy, packs small, lots of room inside. 

65 08 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

It's a Telemark UL 2.2 we have, so it has a zip at both sides but only one porch. We wanted a tent we could use together but still be light enough for solo use. I didn't fancy a Lofoten as it was too much of a bivi tent for me, I wanted a bit of room and comfort, and I like sitting up and reading in a tent.

DaveHK 08 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

If you're not it a rush for it check out Trekkertent. I have a Stealth 1.5 as a solo tent and it is superb, light, roomy, fairly robust, not stupid money, good ventilation and made in Scotland. 

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/17-stealth-tent-15.html

Various different versions with different weights and prices. It is very long and the ends are vertical so no issues for taller folks. For bike packing you'll need separate poles which can be had from here: https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/product/shelter-specific-poles/

TobyA 08 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

> 50cm would be too long for me really.  

Do you have a frame bag? I took my little Macpac last summer bikepacking, but couldn't fit the poles through the frame bag zip. I found secure storage for them between the frame and bag, but it's not ideal and needs a Voile strap to make sure you absolutely don't lose them. Pole length can be a pain when bike packing!

Edit: added a photo to show what I mean. The poles are in the brown bag, above the frame bag below the cross bar. I probably could have stored them inside the seat post but seemed extra faff I've taking your seat post out each evening!

Post edited at 21:01

Dr.S at work 08 Feb 2022
In reply to TobyA:

I hope that mugs just there to vex someone?

Solaris 08 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

I looked at a Nordisk when I - in the end - decided to get a Hilleberg Akto. My intended use was in remote places where I had to be able to rely on my gear totally, so strength was the decisive factor for me, not that it was the only one. I don't regret getting it in the least - a minor masterpiece of design. I love it. 

tomstew 08 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

I bought a Naturehike Cloud Up 1 not expecting much, but it’s turned out ideal for solo trips & bikepacking. I’m 6ft 5 & it has  enough length for me which seems to be a rarity in many 1/2 person tents. 

Like others above I tend to put the poles in a frame bag and stuff the rest in the bar bag, but try the whole thing will go in a seat bag if you want it to. 

OP crayefish 08 Feb 2022
In reply to 65:

Thanks for the replies everyone.  Sounds like the Telemark is a good tent to look at.  How is the ventilation in summer?  Wildwalkinguk did a review that suggested it might be an issue.

I did of course look at the Akto, because the quality will be epic.  However, I don't need mega Hilleberg reliability for bike packing trips and thr pack size isn't much less than I've got now.

65 08 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

We slept up high on a warm midsummer's night last year and it was ok but you do have make sure you ventilate it adequately.

I used to have an Akto which I miss as it was so perfect and bombproof, but not light by today's standards. It was prone to bad condensation and that was with one person in it. 

OP crayefish 08 Feb 2022
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah all three bags from Ortlieb, but the frame bag is only a half zipped one to allow for bottles.  Not ideal for poles.  The poles I solved by strapping to the outside of my handlebar bag, but as you say, a bit of a faff (though less than removing a saddle!!!).

Bikepacking has been a shock to the system on packing space!  I've gone from having 57 litres of my AK57 to having less than 30 on my bike (even tougher in winter).

DaveHK 09 Feb 2022
In reply to Currently Resting:

Have you actually used one of those? Alpkit have a bit of previous in producing interesting looking tents at attractive weight and price points that don't work very well. This looks and sounds like it might fall into that category.

DaveHK 09 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

> Bikepacking has been a shock to the system on packing space!  I've gone from having 57 litres of my AK57 to having less than 30 on my bike (even tougher in winter).

I find it's not so much the total volume as the fiddliness of all the wee bags and the need to be very careful with what goes where. The bike packing approach is good for off road handling but for road tours I still much prefer the convenience panniers.

Post edited at 07:00
 OwenM 09 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

I use a Trekkertent Phreeranger, packs up very small. The poles sections are kept short to aid packing it in small bikepacking bags. The only down side is there's always a long wait between ordering and it arriving. 

OP crayefish 09 Feb 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> Have you actually used one of those? Alpkit have a bit of previous in producing interesting looking tents at attractive weight and price points that don't work very well. This looks and sounds like it might fall into that category.

I would also have doubts about the inner staying off the sleeping bag at my height when using a thick mat.

OP crayefish 09 Feb 2022
In reply to OwenM:

I quite like the look and price of that... and also the option to change the fabric spec.  Nice touch.  The waiting time is a bit of a shame, but I'd certainly consider it.

How tall are you?  It's lacking a bit of info and a few dimensions on the website... I'd also wondering now much clearance there is from the bag to the inner, especially in wind.  I use a thick mat and my bag is a bit puffy.  Any comments on that would be appreciated.

Anyone tried the Terra Nova Compact 1?  It was rated highly in a few tests and somewhat comparable.

Current shortlist:

1 - Nordisk Telemark 1 (or maybe 2?)

2 - Trekkertent Phreeranger

3 - Terra Nova Compact 1

jimtitt 09 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

The motorcycling world have the same problem of getting a tent into a pannier, the Big Agnes tents are popular because of their short pole option but don't fit your criteria.

The more rugged Wechsel tents are popular in Europe as they are made for large people and Scandinavian conditions which we use as my son is 6ft 5in and the pole length is solved by buying a few spare sections and a hacksaw. Wechsel make bikepacking tents as well.

DaveHK 09 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

>  Current shortlist:

> 1 - Nordisk Telemark 1 (or maybe 2?)

> 2 - Trekkertent Phreeranger

At 6'4" you should definitely look at the Trekkertent Stealth. The 1.5 is 6'8" and doesn't drop at the end like single hoop tents.

If you're worried about condensation I think small single hoop tents like the Telemark are fundamentally flawed in that regard. Ventilation is not great and the big, low angle roof panels with low foot and head ends cause all sorts of problems.

OwenM 09 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

I'm 5' 10" and there's plenty of space at head and feet. I use a Neo'air mat and haven't had problems with my bag touching the inner. 

TobyA 09 Feb 2022
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I don't have a beard, tatts or a flannel shirt, but as I was bikepacking I at least had to go as far as a dangle-mug and IPAs to drink on the campsite.

leon 1 09 Feb 2022
In reply to TobyA: Surely without a beard, tatts or a flannel shirt its no longer bikepacking but cycle touring ?

OP crayefish 09 Feb 2022
In reply to OwenM:

The more I look at this Trekertent, the more I like the look of it.  And I really like that one can get it in 20D silpoly because I really dislike silnylon (except the proper Hilliberg stuff) because it absorbs so much damn water.

A few more questions about the Phreeranger:

How is cooking in the porch when it's raining?

It does simultaneous pitching, right?

Is the inner mesh?  (Will be a 3 season so mesh is fine)

How high is the bathtub floor?

Any comments on durability?

galpinos 09 Feb 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Bearing in mind how badly pitched it looks in the promo photos I have my doubts too. The Vango on looks a better bet (and at 500g lighter)

https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/camping-equipment/744-f10-project-hydrogen.html

OP crayefish 09 Feb 2022
In reply to galpinos:

But with only 10D groundsheet fabric, it is pretty much relegated to field camping.  A sharp looking daisy will puncture that stuff and you can bet that moisture will press through.

DaveHK 09 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

> But with only 10D groundsheet fabric, it is pretty much relegated to field camping.  A sharp looking daisy will puncture that stuff and you can bet that moisture will press through.

TBH most lightweight tents have fragile groundsheets and need a footprint of some sort for regular use. I've got a sheet of Tyvek Housewrap that has worked very well for this for a number of years. I almost always use it apart from situations where I'm trying to go reall light like a Mountain Marathon.

OwenM 09 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

The only slight problem I've noticed is the door flap on the fly only has one tie back, so it can sag down a bit. This is more annoying than a problem, I just use a cloth-peg. Other than that cooking is no problem. You could ask him to add another tie back. 

It does simultaneously pitch. I leave the inner and outer clipped together.

On the standard inner the two door panels are mesh the rest is solid fabric. I also have another custom made inner which has no mesh. 

The bathtub is about 3 inches high. If you want more he will customise them. 

Durability, my tent is about five years old, the new inner is a couple of years younger. It gets used quite regularly and isn't showing signs of wear yet.   

OP crayefish 09 Feb 2022
In reply to OwenM:

Thank you.  I appreciate the feedback.  Great to know that he'll do such alterations.  Great to have some flexibility for the price and I definitely appreciate a custom approach.  Ideas are brewing...

OP crayefish 09 Feb 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

I've had issues with cheaper 70D leaking dampness through (not pooling water though) under pressure... this is from Vango F10 in fact.  40D floors are what I consider a limit of wet weather/soggy ground usability based on experience.  10D I can't even imagine would be pleasant...

jezb1 09 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

I’ve got a Telemark, I almost love it, but the condensation is a killer.

I have a video about it on my YT channel: youtube.com/watch?v=ILXSTAsBkOU&

TobyA 09 Feb 2022
In reply to jezb1:

Just watched you on 1.75 speed, should be working, not watching tent reviews! So the condensation is on the inner tent? If so, that's really weird I don't remember ever having a problem with condensation on inners, mesh or solid (except in very cold weather where obvious it just freezes there not really condenses). 

I've kept using this https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/tents+bivvys/macpac_sololight_1-per... quite a lot since reviewing it a few years back. Lots of decent things about it, but with all the bags and few extra pegs thrown in for total security in bad weather, it's over 1.3 kgs. Definitely no problem with condensation within the inner, but loads of it is mesh. I've definitely noticed the weight and to some degree bulk packing it for bikepacking though. I've often used for bike packing in wilder places, a tarp and tyvek groundsheet, using my bike to hold the tarp up. But staying on campsites or anywhere with midges, a real tent is much nicer, so I'm also interested in that unicorn, a sub kilo one man tent that is livable. And for bikepacking you can't save a load weight by using walking poles for tent poles! https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/tents+bivvys/black_diamond_distance... I've been umming and ahhing about whether I should order a Trekkertent Stealth 1 (and a pole set) for about a year now! Perhaps I should just get on and buy one. 

OP crayefish 10 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

So, I emailed Marc from Trekkertent and we're having a discussion over options etc.  Think I'll go down that route instead of a Telemark as I particularly like all the customisation possibilities.

Will keep you posted on what spec I go for in the end.

DaveHK 10 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

> So, I emailed Marc from Trekkertent and we're having a discussion over options etc.  Think I'll go down that route instead of a Telemark as I particularly like all the customisation possibilities.

> Will keep you posted on what spec I go for in the end.

Good choice, you'll love the tent when you get it but you will need to be patient, it's literally one man and a sewing machine!

OP crayefish 10 Feb 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Yeah he did warn me.  But that's fine... I'll be away with work until the end of March so no adventurers until then anyway.  I'd rather wait a few weeks extra and have something that suits my needs perfectly for many years to come.

There are so many features of mass produced tents, such as reflective bits and nylon fabric that I really don't want on a tent but get forced to have.  All hail personal choices! 

Solaris 10 Feb 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> If you're worried about condensation I think small single hoop tents like the Telemark are fundamentally flawed in that regard. Ventilation is not great and the big, low angle roof panels with low foot and head ends cause all sorts of problems.

Just in case it's useful to anyone reading this thread with a view to buying a solo tent, I agree that condensation is going to be a problem with single hoop tents. And I know that the OP has decided against an Akto but they have venting at either end which works very effectively and is in my experience rain-proof even in driving rain.

I have found condensation a very much smaller issue than I'd imagined it might be, but that doubtless is partly owing to the fact that I often use my tent in windy places.

ben b 10 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

I'm not on commission from Durston, honest, but if you can get one then it sounds like the X-Mid 1P would be an excellent fit for your needs. I have the 2P and it is by a long way the most carefully designed and constructed tent I have ever had the pleasure of using. It is well ventilated (full mesh inner) so great in summer; in bad weather the fly can be pitched low so less breezy but at the expense of some more condensation. Also available in DCF (2P) and the DCF 1P is out next year, if a complete weight weenie which would be unusual in cyclist as opposed to backpackers!

https://durstongear.com/product/x-mid-1p

Back in stock in July but usually sell out within a few minutes to a few days depending on models.

The poles for bike packing are easy as you can use the Ruta Locura ones that can be cut to any length you fancy.

b

In reply to DaveHK:

I have have golite nemo which is much older but same air beam design. It works great and it’s what I take bike touring or wild camping.

JOC1 19 Feb 2022
In reply to crayefish:

Since getting one I have been looking for reviews of the Robens Elk River 1 - I spotted this chap on a bike using one on YouTube, I think he went some distance with it as it's shown in his bike packing video elsewhere on YouTube - it might be worth considering?   youtube.com/watch?v=jCVZb3M0-60&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...