UKC

Best Garmin mode for mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayW 09 Feb 2022

What mode do people tend to use on their Garmin when out in the hills? 

I have a Fenix 6 Pro. The built in modes include "Hike" and "Climb" but the data fields aren't the best. Are there apps on the Connect IQ platform that are more suitable for mountaineering?

GarethSL 09 Feb 2022
In reply to JayW:

You can customize your data fields and layout for the preset modes or if you want create your own mode by duplicating an existing mode and giving it a new name/ its own data fields.

rsc 09 Feb 2022
In reply to JayW:

On my Fenix 5x I couldn’t work out how to get from “hike” mode to the altimeter/compass screen ( which I find most useful). So I don’t use a mode, I just count distance on the paper map.

Hoping someone will explain where I’m going wrong!

galpinos 09 Feb 2022
In reply to rsc:

Whilst in your activity, press and hold the down button (bottom left) and that will take you back to your home screen/the time. Scroll down to your Compass/altimeter face.

(That's for my Fenix 3, assuming it is the same)

rsc 09 Feb 2022
In reply to galpinos:

Thanks!

(and apologies to the OP for the hijack).

r0b 09 Feb 2022
In reply to galpinos:

> Whilst in your activity, press and hold the down button (bottom left) and that will take you back to your home screen/the time. Scroll down to your Compass/altimeter face.

> (That's for my Fenix 3, assuming it is the same)

This, but for a Fenix 5 Plus it's the bottom right button not the bottom left! Not sure for a Fenix 5 though, could be either

SebCa 09 Feb 2022
In reply to JayW:

As the others have said there are a number of options.

The whole purpose of 'recording' the activity is for use later in DLOG or to keep track of where you have been etc, or micro analysis of your route. Some people are in to that, others are not! So which ever suits you. Depending on how you want the data to be searchable depends on what you select.

For example, when I go hill/mountain walking, I select Hike. If I am going for a flat walk around the roads and paths in my local area, its walk. This makes stuff searchable at a later date, so if anyone asks me for a good walk in X area then I can go back through and narrow down the search field. But lets be honest it doesn't make any difference really. Its just preference. It also links into Garmin challenges and badges etc. But that's if you're interested. 

As for the data fields, everything is fully customisable on the Fenix 6 pro, you can display absolutely anything you want from current local time, to grid ref (OS) or Lat Long position, current height, pace, average pace, direction to way point, navigation prompts. This is selected by picking your activity, IE hike, press and hold the middle left button then go into Hike Settings>Data Screens and off you go from there.

Whilst I appreciate this may not be to everyones personal taste, and there is absolutely nothing wrong for just going for a walk and leaving it behind. Its a tool, a very powerful one which can be used. Just adapt it as you see fit, and if you're only looking at the time and ABC, then its probably a bit much for what you require! But they are phenomenally good, and only getting more powerful. 

In reply to JayW:

I have a Garmin Instinct and I’ve set up custom screens starting from a copy of ‘hiking’. I have just the OS grid reference on one screen in a size that I can read without my reading glasses, sunrise and sunset are handy, the time of day, and then all the obvious ABC stuff. 

elliot.baker 09 Feb 2022
In reply to JayW:

If you’re interested in the data screens and stuff I’ve found you have to commit a bit of time to researching what they all are and what layouts you like. I spent some time the other night looking (fenix 6x) and found a wonderful one - ascent / descent gauge in the elevation data fields! If you’re doing a loop and you know the total ascent of the route this is amazing because you can see how much you have left (obviously if ascent is greater than descent etc you have some descent coming your way before the end)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...