UKC

Any ideas for a sleeping bag please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JOC1 12 Feb 2022

So this notion I have to get into backpacking this summer (note - summer!) - just to see if I like it - with a Robens Elk River 1 tent.  I'll need a sleeping bag that fits into the backpack - the sleeping bags I use for family trips are miles too big.  I am a chilly mortal and can't abide being cold.  I've already got a Berghaus Peak Pro sleeping pad to go with it.  Clearly I don't want to spend a fortune, and I don't know if I need to spring for down, apparently its difficult to look after?  Though I don't know if non-down will go small enough.  I am 5'7" a woman and of average build.  There seems a stunning amount of choice and an amazing range of prices - I don't particularly want to spend an un-necessary amount of cash and I'd welcome ideas of brands/models that it would be worth me looking at.  Many thanks

Welsh Kate 12 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

Down isn't difficult to look after if you're sensible (keeping it in a drybag in your rucksack, not dropping the morning cuppa on it, airing it in the morning before you pack it up again); I've never had a problem with my down bags. And if you want light and packable, down is a good option, though synthetic bags are improving in this area and of course if synthetics do get wet they'll still be warm. Alpkit is a good starting point for reasonable quality down bags at a reasonable price.

https://alpkit.com/collections/sleeping-bags

I feel the cold horribly and in addition to a warm sleeping bag, I'll use a Sigg bottle in a sock as a hottie and sometimes take a piece of thin closed-cell mat to pop under my self-inflating mattress to buck up the insulation.

Post edited at 20:23
 OwenM 12 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

Take a look at Alpkit they have a good selection that won't brake the bank. 

Mark Haward 13 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

Here are a couple of suggestions:

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/collections/down-sleeping-bags/product...

https://alpkit.com/products/pipedream-200

I would echo what Welsh Kate said and also suggest a silk liner for your bag. My down bags have lasted 20 plus years of alpine and expedition use with just some basic care.

crayefish 13 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

There are some Rab bags on sale at Joe Browns now I think...  check them out.  Rab and ME are the best and nice if you can get them on a deal.

VictorM 13 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

What's your definition of summer? In the Highlands or especially in Scandinavia it can get pretty chilly even in July/August. 

Down is unbeatable when discussing pack size for insulation so if you're looking at camping at 5C and under that's pretty much what you're looking for.

If we're talking 10-20C at night then synthetics are becoming really good and not too spendy, with decent models being 150-200 Euros.

iccle_bully 13 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

I have a mountain Hardwear women's bag and find the specific cut much more comfortable, especially the extra warmth around my feet. It's a good 10 years old so no point me giving you the make but just wanted to advocate for women's specific. 

I would also recommend a silk liner, makes a big difference to warmth and protects your bag too. 

Run_Ross_Run 13 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

Also consider a quilt for summer use.

Have a thermarest Vesper 0C quilt that I got to replace my old rab quantum sleeping bag. Packs down really small and very effective if you pair it with a decent r rated mat. 

spenser 13 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

I take this with me for most summer bikepacking:

https://alpkit.com/products/pipedream-200

If it's likely to be colder I'll use an older Skyehigh 700.

I also attach gear to the bike but I hate carrying a rucksack when riding. If you are interested in this approach the Planet X stuff is probably the cheapest and works reasonably well.

In reply to JOC1:

You definitely want a down bag.  I swapped from synthetic to down after my first backpacking trip, it is expensive but a huge improvement because it is so much smaller and lighter.  It was the difference between having the tent strapped under the rucksack lid where it was unbalanced and annoying and enough space to get the tent inside the bag.

I got a Mountain Equipment one for a couple of hundred quid, was also looking at RAB, there were lots of good choices, I was just watching for an online retailer to put a nice discount on one of them.

In reply to JOC1:

I've had an Alpkit Pipedream 400 down bag for over a decade. It's easily the best value piece of kit I've ever bought. It's had a lot of use but still functional in all but the coldest of nights.

OP JOC1 13 Feb 2022

Thanks all, the concensus appear to be heading towards AlpKit - looks like I'd better start saving for that Pipedream 400! 

J101 13 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

If you can wait a bit and keep checking they often have sales.

If you're left handed and want a right hand side zip model in a sale you've got to get in quick though!

Post edited at 21:27
 sjminfife 13 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

We have Snugpak. They are synthetic but do pack down well but will be slightly heavier than down.

Not too expensive.

In reply to JOC1:

I know you have said you feel the cold but the pipedream 400 would seem to be more expensive and heavier than you need for summer use. I would think a lighter cheaper bag should be fine for summer use (June -August) at low level in southern Britain.

You can always sleep in thermal underwear, a fleece, warm socks, which are always good to have with you and put on when you get to your campsite. Add a sleeping bag liner if you are still concerned.

Root1 14 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

Spend as much as you can on a good down bag. It will last a lifetime, which means that over time it works out a bargain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...