UKC

High winds for journalists

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 toad 16 Feb 2022

I don't know why I'm Mocking it as I'm bang in the amber warning too, but Fridays storm is right over southern England and Wales- I suspect its going to get a lot more press coverage than the last couple.

Hold onto your hats and keep safe

Post edited at 11:03
 freeflyer 16 Feb 2022
In reply to toad:

Your post made me think of the guy who jumped Brighton Pier, so I did a whatever happened to him and this brilliant interview came up!

https://www.iksurfmag.com/articles/issue58/back-from-the-brink-lewis-crathe...

In reply to toad:

Reminds me of this example... Stay safe out there

youtube.com/watch?v=NXJMWwSICHg&

In reply to toad:

> I suspect its going to get a lot more press coverage than the last couple.

Given the population densities, I suspect it may affect a lot more people, too.

Graeme G 16 Feb 2022
In reply to Sandstone Stickman:

Is that genuine??? LMHO, but jeez that must’ve hurt 😢 

Billhook 16 Feb 2022
In reply to toad:

Already there have been extensive reports from the South East complaining that their electric was off long enough so they could n't have  their luncheon tea/coffe and had to wait until nearly 3 pm before the electric came back on again.  Someone else bitterly complained that there's a tree branch down on their road and it was nearly 30 minutes before someone removed it but they left several twigs in the road and that meant they weren't able to fetch Tabatha back from her Violin lessons.  Poor lass had to walk nearly 300 m back home all on her own and got wet.

Aye, tis grim down south.

wintertree 16 Feb 2022
In reply to Billhook:

> Aye, tis grim down south.

Could be when Eunice hits.  Each update for it is getting worse, and they haven't had the dubious benefit of having had the full force of Arwen, Malick and Corrie clear out the most vulnerable trees and flag up the most vulnerable power infrastructure...

Some people not 10 miles from us had power out for 11 days after Arwen.  At least it's pretty mild this time instead of sub-zero and snowing.

LastBoyScout 16 Feb 2022
In reply to Sandstone Stickman:

My favourite is from a few years ago in the US.

Reporter being blown sideways by wind and rain, standing in front of a beach with great big waves behind him.

Just as he was saying you'd have to be crazy to be out, a windsurfer went zipping past across one of the waves!

Ridge 16 Feb 2022
In reply to wintertree:

> Some people not 10 miles from us had power out for 11 days after Arwen.

At least compensation was in the trillions 😉 

In reply to wintertree:

It'll be chaos down here. I'm already planning not to go into work. The commute will be impassable because it will rain, the usual 4 inch deep puddle will appear across one half of the only major road I need to use, and despite being able to see the curb there will be a ~1.5 mile queue of Q7s and range rovers with wankerplates waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic so they can drive around it. Tis grim down south.

freeflyer 16 Feb 2022
In reply to Billhook:

> Aye, tis grim down south.

Hello me lovelies.

You northern softies don't have proper rain as it just runs off all those hills. Down west when we get rain, it stays for three months.

Road near me has one of those black and white marker posts which tops out at six feet. And still they drive through.

Met Office synoptic for Fri 1200 is pretty impressive though; they have a 31hPa differential between the Wash and the Lizard. Yikes!

Le Sapeur 16 Feb 2022
In reply to toad:

96mph winds in Applecross a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't even designated as a storm. Understandable as only about 8 people live there.

In reply to Le Sape

Well would you want to stay anywhere the scumbag Johnson decided to go on holiday? 

In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Ps he  certainly didnae drive over the Bealach na Ba to get there as I was waiting with a nicely positioned boulder!

flatlandrich 16 Feb 2022
In reply to Le Sapeur:

75mph forecast for my area on Friday but I'm sure that will bring complete chaos. We've only had it that high a few times since the '87 storm and certainly not in the last few years so I'm sure it'll find plenty of weaknesses. I felt a bit like those people you see on the news in Florida when they're preparing for a hurricane as I strapped down the gazebo this afternoon.

David Cowley 16 Feb 2022
In reply to toad:

It'll all be dependant on the quality and effort put in of the journalism. I read a small article today of a lorry blown over with the caption 'Lorry blown over on the A66 near Otterburn today 😄

OP toad 17 Feb 2022
In reply to toad:

Ooh look a pre-emptive COBRA meeting to discuss Eunace. Must be a chance of  inconvenience in the home counties 

Wainers44 17 Feb 2022
In reply to toad:

Red alert for North Coast here now. Could be a tough day tomorrow 

bouldery bits 17 Feb 2022
In reply to Wainers44:

> Red alert for North Coast here now. Could be a tough day tomorrow 

Yes, 140 schools closed pre-emptively and the council have even told us not to put the bins out. 

Stay safe folks! 

BB

Wainers44 17 Feb 2022
In reply to bouldery bits:

And you mate.

Ger_the_gog 17 Feb 2022
In reply to LastBoyScout:

During a particularly bad snowy spell (possibly in 2013) a reporter on the Welsh news was doing a piece from a badly affected small North Wales town, warning folk of the deadly conditions and not to venture out etc when out of the blue (or white?) a group of presumably local youngsters ripped past along the road behind him on scramblers/field bikes etc.

In reply to Graeme G:

Thankfully it's not genuine and she responded to the prank (done by a third party) in an interview to thank everyone after so many messages of concern from fans.

Lots of trees down here in Kent,  hope everyone fairing ok!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...