UKC

Complete traverse of Liathach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tony 28 Feb 2022

Has anyone does a complete traverse of Liathach, from the east all the way down the ridge beyond Mullach an Rathan down over Sgorr a Chadail to the bridge over the Abhainn Coire Mhic Nobuil? I've done the 'usual' descent from Mullach an Rathan down to the Glen Torridon road, but last time I was there it struck me that the west end of the ridge looked quite benign.

Apart from the obvious logistical issues of finishing a long way from the start (I may be able to persuade my wife to take on taxi duties), are there are any difficulties to be aware of? (This would be in May, so probably no snow/ice to contend with.)

In reply to tony:

very horrible tussocks at the end near the trees, but apart from that no difficulties. The tussocks are bad though!

OP tony 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Full moon addict:

> very horrible tussocks at the end near the trees, but apart from that no difficulties. The tussocks are bad though!

Thanks for that. I'm not a great fan of tussocks, but might be able to bear them for the sake of the aesthetics.

In reply to tony:

Yes, straightforward as John says. And if you descend north-ish from the col just east of Sgorr a' Chadail then you can get down to the Coire Mhic Nobuil path and walk back east to the start to make it a round trip. Makes logistics easier, and you get a brilliant view of the north side of Liathach

OP tony 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks Dan. I take your point about the Coire Mhic Nobuil path and the round trip, but I'm quite attracted by the full traverse. I may also investigate stashing a bike at the west end in the car park.

In reply to tony:

Dan's suggestion is the route I. always take. Enjoy your day.

OP tony 28 Feb 2022
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Thanks. How long does that round trip take?

In reply to tony:

I usually park at the east end having left a bike at the West. Excluding the walk or ride back along the road the traverse  should be a comfortable 6 hours. As I am now 3 score and 10 you might be a bit quicker!

Graeme G 28 Feb 2022
In reply to tony:

Does anyone just reverse the ridge?

In reply to Graeme G:

I've never reversed it. Many years ago I went straight up Spidean a'  choire Leith from Glen Cottage , down a scrambly ridge on the north side then did Beinn Dearg traverse. My companion wanted to return via The Northern Pinnacles and Mullach an Rathain but got short shrift from me on this idea!

Post edited at 13:26
OP tony 28 Feb 2022

> I usually park at the east end having left a bike at the West. Excluding the walk or ride back along the road the traverse  should be a comfortable 6 hours. As I am now 3 score and 10 you might be a bit quicker!

Thanks. You're only 8 years older than me, and I'm not very fit at the moment, so 6 hours sounds sensible. Last I was on Liathach and did the usual descent I managed to hitch a lift back to the car within about 30 seconds of hitting the road, timed to perfection just as the rain was starting.

Joak 28 Feb 2022
In reply to tony:

A couple of years ago walking back along the road after an east to west traverse a guy stopped and offered me a lift which I politely declined. A couple of hundred meters further along the road a wee mouse came scurrying out from the left bank and stooped at my feet. A stoat in hot pursuit came running out, saw me and did a cartoonesque about turn and ran back in to the grass. The wee mouse sat looking up at me for a wee while before scuttling away in to the right bank. I felt a wee bit guilty robbing the stoat of it's dinner but was also chuffed on behalf of the wee mouse. Some things are just meant to be.    

storm-petrel 28 Feb 2022

Admittedly getting ever further away from what the OP was asking, but in addition to Dan Bailey's suggested route, it is possible to descend the north trending shoulder just to the west of Mullach an Rathain, ie the next ridge to the west after the Northern Pinnacles. It's a bit hard on the knees but fairly straightforward. Then, traverse round beneath Meall Dearg to Loch Coire na Caime which is a stunning spot, then NE to the Coire Dubh Mor path and back to the start.

kinley2 28 Feb 2022
In reply to tony:

Never done the whole length due to the logistics, but have done variants involving the western arm.

Sgorr a Chadail is a fantastic spot. We usually go up/down direct towards the Beinn Alligin car park, which involves picking a route through some minor crags. It's easier to head N as Dan said to get to the bridge at NG 881 589.

As Storm Petrel said, an alternative is to drop into Coireag Dhearg NG 904 579 which allows a simple traverse into Coire na Caim.

Shame to miss either Coire na Caim or Sgorr a Chadail - worth returning.

Couple of reports.

https://kinleyhazel.wordpress.com/2016/06/18/ending-on-a-high-liathach-trav...

https://kinleyhazel.wordpress.com/2020/09/06/coire-na-caim-and-mullach-an-r...

Post edited at 16:56
In reply to Joak:

Rabbie Burns would have been proud o you!. How's your winter gaun? Gales finally look like subsiding. Tomorrow looks a crackin day.

Joak 28 Feb 2022

Haha cheers buddy.  Aye still managing tae get oot and aboot despite the jetstream's best efforts tae scupper it. Last Monday I had a good day on Beinn Each and Stuc a' Chroin via Glen Ample, unfortunately underfoot conditions negated the need for crampons. On Friday I snatched a nice wee outing during a very narrow weather window by going up School House ridge and on to Sgorr Dhearg. Stonking crampontastic neve the whole way. I gave Sgorr Dhonuill the bums rush and got back tae ma motor nice and dry at 1400 just as the first drops of rain began to fall. Heading oot the morra, maybe Cruachan or something in Glen Coe, as per usual I'll make my mind up when I look at the latest forecast through bleary peepers when my alarm goes off at 0500. I take it your plates of meat have been gracing the likes of the Fannichs and the Torridon hills during those wee narrow weather windows of opporchancity.      

OP tony 01 Mar 2022
In reply to kinley2:

> Shame to miss either Coire na Caim or Sgorr a Chadail - worth returning.

Those reports certainly whet the appetite. Coire na Caim loks spectacular - I may be reconsidering plans!

HB1 01 Mar 2022

I went straight up that way back in the 60s. I had Dave G's dog for company. unfortunately she/he (can't remember) took off after a sheep - chased it up, then down - then very quickly down. Dead  sheep! Went back up with Dave next day - chopped up the sheep. Mutton needs a lot of cooking! Don't tell anyone

In reply to HB1:

Hi there. I remember Dave telling me the story about the sheep. I once took the dog -- she was a black lab called "Night' _ round the Corrie Dubh to Coire Mhic Nobuill track around summer 1972  I think.Lucky no sheep encountered! We stopped at Torridon PO to buy a couple of Mars bars from the postie,Donnie"London" MacDonald. The dog ate mine as well! I was a regular at Glen Cottage in the early 70:s until it's closure at the end of 1973. Great memories of hilldays, Dave and Liz's songs in the evenings and all night bevvies at the sadly gone Achnasheen hotel.

In reply to Joak:

Hope you had a guid day! I was on Beinn Dearg.Nice route from Braemore Junction taking in Iorguill as well.Nae wind and good views for a change. Been doing my usual stravaigin in the Fannaichs, Torridon and the Achnashellach hills with a wee trip doon tae Kintail as well

Post edited at 21:57
 Joak 01 Mar 2022

Glad you had a good hill day. I opted for Ben Cruachan today. There was more in the way of low cloud and murk than the Met office boffins had forecast. The underfoot snow conditions were nice and icy above 800m. I only met one other person aw day, he was coming the other way.  It was an auld hill buddy, we first bumped into one another on Curved Ridge aboot 20 years ago and have kept in touch since. The month of March has come in like a lamb, nae doot we won't have to wait too long before that grizzled auld lion comes roaring back.   

HB1 02 Mar 2022

"Night" of course. Lovely dog. I remember taking her for a long walk on the other side of the road through a large flock of sheep. It was a test. She passed! I spent a lot of time there in the early 70s - probably met you! I remember playing whistle in the Achnasheen hotel - I couldn't understand why the Landlord kept topping up my whisky glass - "he likes the way you play, of course" said Dave.

Do you remember the cat "Clawed Balls"?? A bit of a wildcat mix I think. I took it home, as a "favour" , to my mum. She was a little bemused, but "Fred" flourished!

DaveHK 02 Mar 2022
In reply to tony:

> Those reports certainly whet the appetite. Coire na Caim loks spectacular - I may be reconsidering plans!

In snowy conditions Coire na Caime is one of the most impressive corries in the country, well worth a visit. The Northern Pinnacles into Traverse of Liathach is a superb winter day out.

Dave Hewitt 02 Mar 2022
In reply to Joak:

> I opted for Ben Cruachan today. There was more in the way of low cloud and murk than the Met office boffins had forecast.

The west generally seemed to catch quite a bit of cloud yesterday. I was busy with evening-pancake prep and only had time for a basic Ochils loop at lunchtime, but while Lawers was clear-ish (and very white when visible) and everything NE of there was properly clear and sunny, the western things eg around Crianlarich looked to be catching quite a lot of cloud. Friends were on Meall Ghaordaidh and got lucky but said there was cloud around. First properly springlike day hereabouts - I was too warm on the lower Ochil slopes, first time that's happened for a while. The better half has seen bees in the garden these past few days.

In reply to HB1:

I think I remember you,and the cat! My last drink in Achnasheen Hotel was in November 1993 after my first Munro round completion on Fionn Beinn. It burned down the following year. Did you ever encounter a wee Polish woman called Eva Kolski at Glen Cottage?. She was in her 60's and the bane in the life of mountain rescue teams!

HB1 02 Mar 2022

I don't recall Eva Kolski. I imagine that you stayed with Nancy Smith and Davie Glen a few times? I was summer warden at Dundonnell and Raasay in the late 60s - happy times, when there was space for all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...