UKC

Teggs nose car park to Kidsgrove station half way stop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 21 Mar 2022

My wife and I are doing the Gritstone trail and we have already completed Disley to Teggs nose car park section.

We are looking at doing the Teggs nose car park to kids grove over 2 days.

Plan is to stop over night somewhere around half way, in some accommodation pref with a local pub.

Any ideas 

Thanks 

Dave the Rave 21 Mar 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

Had a quick Google and it says there’s not much accommodation or anything on route. Perhaps look at local buses or taxis and head off to the fleshpots of Leek or Macclesfield. 

The 3 Horseshoes at Blackshaw Moor used to be lovely with a good bar and great food and accommodation as did the Leather Smithy near Teggs Nose.

Jon Read 21 Mar 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

Does Congleton fall close enough to the trail for you?

Marek 21 Mar 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

A bit early, but there's some cabins at Nettlebeds Farm. Isolated, but you could walk to the Ship Inn at Wincle. As others have said, the area's a bit of a black hole in terms of accommodation. Next stop is likely to be somewhere between Timbersbrook and Congleton, but nothing specific I can recommend. One word of warning: Covid has played havoc with pub opening times and services. Check before committing - particularly if they're isolated (i.e., no other easy options).

Strachan 22 Mar 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

I grew up in Congleton, and walked the Gritstone Trail a lot as a teenager (it's a really lovely route). There is indeed very little in the way of accommodation in the area around halfway between Tegg's Nose and Kidsgrove, and the only place I can think of that seems to fit the bill (although I have drunk there only twice and never eaten or stayed the night, so can't vouch for it at all) is the Queen's Head, across the road from Congleton Station. It's approx 1 km from the trail, at the point that it joins the Biddulph Valley Way (you could use the canal path to cover that km, as it is nicer than the road). No real alternatives that I can think of, apart from obviously AirBnB, or possibly looking for something around Rudyard, this being the place locally most closely resembling a tourist hotspot...

OP andyd1970 22 Mar 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

Thanks all and I will look into your recommendations

I had a good look myself but couldn’t find anything.

Much appreciated 

steveriley 22 Mar 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

Nothing useful to add but I'm in the early days of pondering a run along the gritstone trail, so still working out the logistics. I've done the sandstone trail a few times, so it only seems fair to look at the gritstone trail

OP andyd1970 22 Mar 2022
In reply to Strachan:

Thanks for that info as it looks like we’ll be using that option.

Been in touch with the Queens Head and they do accommodation and have overnight parking.

Much appreciated 

Strachan 22 Mar 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

No problem. Enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...