UKC

The anti sponsor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all,

I'm 56 and I'm falling apart.

Having had my hip replaced in July, I'm trying to get back into climbing and all is good with regards to my prosthetic hip, although I do climb a bit unnaturally, since I avoid dropping knees for the time being. 

The trouble is that I am climbing absolutely crap, I can't remember ever having climbed so crap before, shaky, untidy and scared.

It's not just my hip, now my bunions are painful and creaking and I have a swollen and creaking index finger knuckle joint. Them Adidas boots are rubbish too.

I remember when I was a spring chicken I used to see some old folk at the crag which looked like I do today on the rock, and thinking crumbs he is not having a great time is he?. 

So I wonder if it's time to get an anti-sponsor or just go to the pub instead.  

So what on earth is the anti-sponsor?.

It's basically getting paid by the gear companies where you agree not to ever purchase or not to be seen with their climbing kit at the crag. 

My potential for making money is enormous at the moment.

Anyway food for thought.

Love to all

tew 26 Mar 2022
In reply to Dago theruinmargalef:

I'd go the other way and get a sponsor. It's all well and good have Adonis like climbers in your gear smashing out the latest 10c or whatever. Let's have more of people of all ages, shapes and types showing off outdoor gear. Getting up their projects and having a great time

I'm after a sponsorship from these guys, not asking for money, just a 'Stannah Ambassador' T shirt.

https://www.stannah.co.uk/

Offwidth 26 Mar 2022

Great idea   I'm creaky, bunioned and have been described by luminaries as "the biggest internet troll in history" (Climbers Against Cancer tee-shirt will soon be on order) so I might try it!

Alternatively it is possible to just enjoy what you still CAN do. We are currently climbing with a friend who can barely bend one knee and has no ankle flex, who still has a great time on lower grades and is full of fabulous stories.

Marek 26 Mar 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

> Alternatively it is possible to just enjoy what you still CAN do...

Also, I've always felt that more pleasure comes from 'getting better' than 'being good'. That feeling that you can now do something you couldn't do last week. So the the OP's point - he's lucky: He now has ample opportunity to revisit those 'getting better' times from his current low point. Perhaps revisit easy climbs that were great climb but were too easy to be worth repeating in his heydays. Or perhaps those that he skipped over in the inevitable youthful race up the grades. 

SteveSBlake 26 Mar 2022

This is a race to the bottom with merit!

Tony Buckley 26 Mar 2022

My gear can do far harder things than I can.  I live in fear of the day my trousers and shoes get together and decide that they're off climbing together and if I happen to be wearing them at the time well, that's just too bad.

T.

In reply to SteveSBlake:

Absolutely

In reply to Tony Buckley:

I'm having that feeling.

Offwidth 01 Apr 2022
In reply to Tony Buckley: 

You could always ensure trousers and shoes are in such a state that they need you! It would suit the anti-sponsor theme as well (the glossy adverts never seem to show worn kit)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...