UKC

Gruinard Island

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Gruinard  ("Anthrax") island ablaze.See Fire Risk thread on Hilltalk

Rob Parsons 27 Mar 2022
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

What (or who) could have started a fire on that?

profitofdoom 27 Mar 2022
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> What (or who) could have started a fire on that?

Lightning?

DaveHK 27 Mar 2022
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Lightning?

Not with the weather the way it was. I was at Opinan and saw the smoke yesterday. I assumed it was the mainland behind the island.

profitofdoom 27 Mar 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> Not with the weather the way it was. I was at Opinan and saw the smoke yesterday. I assumed it was the mainland behind the island.

Thanks Dave

Tony Buckley 27 Mar 2022

Inevitable headline on the BBC news web - which is also in the first post here too.  

BBC News - Gruinard Island: Fire on island used for Anthrax experiments
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-60892350

T.

Al_Mac 27 Mar 2022
In reply to Tony Buckley:

My parents look over the island and over the last week there have been at least half a dozen hill fires (I hate using the term wild fire as it suggests it's happened naturally). The consensus amongst locals is that it's the estate doing the burning. One fire last week got within a few hundred metres of the village which was obviously rather stressful for all concerned. The local estates lambast tourists for causing fires yet they seem totally okay if it's their own land 'managers' who start them. Sadly the whole of Gruinard Island is now a blackened and charred lump where there was once an island with a multitude of plant life and as a result, a multitude of colours. Muirburn needs to be seen for what it is; absolute environmental vandalism that has no place or reason. Where another hill fire ravaged the hillside a few years ago which was started by the local policeman while burning brush (d'ya think that was ever investigated?!) what was a protected area and thus filled with all sorts of wild flowers and other mixed fauna is now a desert of grass, bracken and heather. It makes me so bloody angry to see these areas being utterly destroyed by those who simply don't care, whether locals, landowners or tourists.

65 27 Mar 2022
In reply to Al_Mac:

Infuriating, to say the least. What is the purpose of burning Gruinard? The first thing that came to mind when I heard about it was that I might have been a Chinese lantern.

DaveHK 27 Mar 2022
In reply to Al_Mac:

Interesting to read your thoughts on the causes.

Are there reasons other than grouse to burn the heather? Hard to see why they'd want to do that on Gruinard.

Driving back tonight it was indeed pretty black.

I noticed it appeared in BBC website about an hour after I emailed them to ask why no report.

Al_Mac 27 Mar 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

I honestly don't know. However, I don't think I've ever seen grouse shooting going on in the areas where these fires have been recently but they're all in places that are not roadside, and in a few places like above Inverasdale they'd actually take some effort to get to, which again suggests not tourists! I have seen the estate feeding deer by the road side on the Fain in winter which is hardly a responsible action given a) there are too many deer already and b) encouraging more to stand by the side of a main road is hardly a good idea. With the exception of the Letterewe estate I'm not sure any of the local estates up that way are well run. The red deer population on my parents headland was getting out of control and the estate wouldn't do anything so a bunch of the locals took it upon themselves to stock their freezers and solve the problem themselves. My only thoughts is that it gives better grazing for the sheep as that's all there is on Gruinard, and maybe the grass that springs back up straight after is preferable over the old growth heather? I really am at a loss to understand why Gruinard was set ablaze though other than those possibilities and if it wasn't for all the other local fires which strongly appear to be set by the estate, I'd say it was a tourist going over for a jolly in a kayak and setting it from a bbq like some hapless cretin did on Loch Maree last year, but it's just too much of a coincidence. 

Contrary to all of that I really don't have an issue with estate owners, just the laws and rules that are too relaxed and allow them to get away with things they have no right to do. But then look at the local bobby who torched tens of square km's from the back of Opinan and over to Slaggan and beyond; he's not wealthy and landed, he's just a boneheaded idiot for burning brush in a drought with strong winds!

Billhook 28 Mar 2022

I wonder what has happened t the poor sheep which I believe were still on the Island?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...