UKC

When a plan works.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 31 Mar 2022

Farmer been ploughing like mad, gulls everywhere. Decided to see if I could see any of these crackers. And saw at least five!  Never seen them round here before. Mediterranean Gulls. Check the eyes. 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Only the middle 2 in this picture are Med Gulls (with full black hoods and white primary flight feathers /wing tips)

The other 3 are Black Headed Gulls (distinguished by their chocolate brown heads and black primaries)

Michael Hood 31 Mar 2022

Nice, the lack of black wing-tips and the black rather than chocolate brown hood are quite clear.

I've yet to (ever) see one. Haven't got the patience to properly scan a really big flock and have been unlucky (or scanned poorly) in any flock small enough for me to have a proper scan through.

alx 31 Mar 2022
In reply to Michael Hood:

I am fairly certain you are all wrong and these a Blackpool chip grouse in breeding plumage.

In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> Only the middle 2 in this picture are Med Gulls (with full black hoods and white primary flight feathers /wing tips)

> The other 3 are Black Headed Gulls (distinguished by their chocolate brown heads and black primaries)

I know. The others were in different fields but photos not so good. 

In reply to Michael Hood:

Saw a pair at Martin Mere few weeks back.  But better to see them out on my dog walk. Loads of LBB - 30 pairs min. Few common and a pair GBB as well. And a brown hare!  Snowed on the way back. 

squarepeg 31 Mar 2022

Bloody gulls, coming here eating our worms. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...