UKC

Child friendly climbing near ambleside

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mutt 08 Apr 2022

Hi , can any of the wise people here recommend a route or cliff suitable for a 11,yes old. He's a capable v4 boulderers. Looking for some easy Trad of fairly short dimensions or some good top roping. Thanks

Neil Williams 08 Apr 2022
In reply to mutt:

Scout Crag is almost ideally named due to its suitability for kids!

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/scout_crags-340/

Upper bit less polished according to the guidebook entry.

Rog Wilko 10 Apr 2022
In reply to mutt:

Short stuff suitable for top roping with a range of grades can be  found at  Stickle Barn Crag. I don’t know what v4 equates to in trad grades, but sounds quite hard to me, so enough for half a day at the crag and a short walk in. In my experience 11 year olds can grumble about such things as walking.

C Witter 10 Apr 2022
In reply to mutt:

Depends how cold it is, but Long Scar and Black Crag on Pike O'Blisco might be a good shout. I would take indoor V4 with a pinch of salt if he's not climbed outdoors much, as it's very different. If it's too cold, then any valley crag, depending on the kid and his likelihood to enjoy or not. E.g. Castle Rock of Triermain South Crag or Hare Crags or Trowbarrow or Fairy Steps. Wallowbarrow has some VDiffs and a Severe with big ledges if you want to introduce him to multipitch in a fairly easy environment (i.e. 10 min walk-in; short multipitches; good belays with good ledges, where you can readily lower someone to the ground on a 50m rope from almost anywhere).

OP mutt 15 Apr 2022
In reply to C Witter:

Long scar did look just the place thanks. But as predicted the child in question refused the walk in. Let's hope for more enthusiasm next time! Thanks for the recommendations to you all anyway. He did walk striding edge with confidence though so I think he's not just a boulderers!

C Witter 16 Apr 2022
In reply to mutt:

I'm glad it was a helpful suggestion, even if it didn't quite work out. From Wrynose it's about a 20min walk for adults but I can imagine it becoming epic with a wee'un! It will be getting warmer and warmer up there so worth revisiting in the summer. Apart from the climbs in the guide, there's lots of easy slabby rock to the right of Long Scar and right of Glass Slipper on Black Crag which are great for initiating people/kids. Even better, after climbing you can drop down in the car to Blea Tarn for a paddle/swim and view of the Langdale Pikes. A great June outing. Hope it works out next time!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...