UKC

Portland Landfill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steve taylor 31 May 2022

BBC News - Landfill site agreed near Dorset World Heritage coast in Portland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-61632069

Does anyone have any information on how this might affect access/climbing on the east coast?

PaulJepson 31 May 2022
In reply to steve taylor:

They can have The Cuttings.

Mick Ward 31 May 2022

Steve, I think it's Coombefield quarry (opposite the Neddyfields parking), owned I do believe by our old friend from the past, who recently thoughtfully installed the parking charges at Cheyne Weares car park. Obviously more lorries going up and down the road but shouldn't directly affect climbing (unlike his plans for the coastal strip). 

You may recall that some years previously Coombefield was going to have 400 (or was it 600 - my memory's not what it used to be) holiday chalets with many innovative features, including a climbing wall. I know some guys who worked on the latter; they weren't too happy with their tenures coming to an abrupt end when the project was spiked. 

Progress, eh?

Anyway hope all's well with you and yours'.

Mick 

Iamgregp 31 May 2022

Well it won't make it smell any better.

ChrisJD 31 May 2022

It looks like it is for an inert landfill, essentially to provide a quarry restoration landform.

"On the completion of operations, those areas subject to infilling with inert waste will be restored to calcareous grassland with dry stone walls. The remaining area will be handed back to land owner at pre-development levels."

Plus re-siting a waste management facility (no landfilling, just waste processing).

This is the planning regime stage - will then have to go through the Environmental Permitting stage regulated by the EA.

"Both the restoration and recycling operations will be subject to an Environmental Permit that will consider and regulate impact upon the water environment."

Go to: https://www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/planning-buildings-land/planning/planning-...

Then search for application P/DCC/2021/04835.

The Delegation Report provides a good summary of the proposal.

Inert Waste defined here by the EA:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/landfill-operators-environmental-permits/landfi....

The BBC article is a bit disingenuous with the phrasing of "60,000 tonnes could be dumped each year, more than half of it commercial or industrial.".

So although the materials may be from commercial/industrial sources, the placed waste materials will need to be 'inert'.

The next level of waste type is 'Non-Hazardous', then 'Hazardous'.

Post edited at 13:50
 mutt 31 May 2022

Expecting dislikes but if anyone here doesn't like landfill they should take a close look at what they buy. Still it's not fun having one on your doorstep. 

ChrisJD 31 May 2022
In reply to mutt:

Come down from your soapbox: it will be an inert landfill; won't be used municipal domestic wastes.

Kevster 31 May 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

So it won't stop the sea gulls eating my chips? 😉

I'm still holding a grudge from a few years ago....

No one wants landfill, yet we all need it. I can think of worse places, however I'm a little lacking in detailed knowledge of these things, and aren't local. So maybe shouldn't comment..... 

Iamgregp 31 May 2022
In reply to mutt:

That's like saying if anyone here doesn't like sewage farms they should take a look at their arsehole.

In reply to Mick Ward:

Ah what? There's parking charges at Cheyne Weares now? I wonder how often it's actually policed though. 

Mick Ward 31 May 2022
In reply to GripsterMoustache:

Thread on here a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/crag_access/new_pay_parking_by_app_at_che...?

Mick 

mutt 31 May 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

And what on earth is an inert landfill? Argon and zenon I guess 

FactorXXX 31 May 2022
In reply to mutt:

> And what on earth is an inert landfill? Argon and zenon I guess 

Probably not as noble as that.

ChrisJD 01 Jun 2022
In reply to mutt:

Look at my earlier 13.35 post for the definition.

(There are three waste types: Inert, Non-Hazardous & Hazardous).

Inert will mostly be crushed concrete/demo and things like excavated rock from construction projects.

Bizarrely, most topsoil wouldn't likely be classed as Inert due to high organic content.

Ramon Marin 01 Jun 2022

In my opinion that's a good use of a whole in the ground that's very much hidden from view. If I lived in Portland I wouldn't object it, our rubbish gotta go somewhere

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...