UKC

Bird ID - thrush?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 15 Jun 2022

Poor photo...phone camera on close up

drunken monkey 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Aye, looks like a thrush

Bottom Clinger 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Mistle. Much bigger than song, white outer tail feathers visible in flight. 

Cobra_Head 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

yes 100%

OP Flinticus 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Thanks all and gold star to BC for IDing as a Mistle thrush. Not even heard of that before.

nniff 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

They were common when I  was a kid - not so much now

cb294 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

As the others said, mistle thrush, easily identified as bigger/more robust and more coarsely spotted than a song thrush. Actually, the picture is a bit unusual, as the posture of the bird is quite horizontal. Normally you can spot a mistle thrush even in bad lighting based on its upright posture (compared to fieldfares, song thrushes, blackbirds...)

OP Flinticus 15 Jun 2022
In reply to cb294:

I think it may be eyeing up a 🪱 

In reply to Flinticus:

It is, the head tilt is the thrush listening for the worm. 

In reply to Flinticus:

I was watching a Mistle Thrush nest until the three chicks fledged.

I remember them from when I was young, but they don’t seem many about nowadays; I’ve seen more Song Thrushes than Mistle Thrushes this year since I started bird watching.

Post edited at 18:16

deepsoup 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

On the subject of bird ID - I've been having a play with the Merlin bird Android app after a friend recommended it.  (Also available for Apple.)

Really impressive.  It seems to be very good at identifying birds from photos (either taken directly via the phone's camera or imported), and the way it identifies birds from their songs & calls is particularly cool.  Quite memory hungry unfortunately, but I've really enjoyed playing around with it and looking forward to giving it a try in the woods when there's a lot of tweeting going on.

https://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/

In reply to Climbing Pieman:

I’ve noticed more song thrush than normal this year. 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

I’ve enjoyed watching and listening to the Song Thrushes. A few times I’ve been lucky to see them get a snail and taking it to a road before banging it many times on the road surface to break the shell and claim their prize.

Michael Hood 15 Jun 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

For photos on an android phone, Lens seems to be ok a recognising quite a lot of birds

deepsoup 16 Jun 2022
In reply to Michael Hood:

I've never actually tried Lens, I should have a play with it some time.  (For insects too.)

The photo ID thing is cool, but tbh it's much more the sound ID function that really impresses me about the Merlin app.  Have you tried it?  It's v clever.  I'm often most curious to know what a bird is when I can hear it chirping away in a tree or something but can't even see it let alone get a half decent photo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...