UKC

Riva del garda - via ferrata

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sabilly1 15 Jun 2022

Heading to riva in August and I'm wondering if the via Ferratas around there are an option to do solo. 

I'm heading with the Mrs and baby but could hopefully get a day out. I climb regularly but never done via Ferrata. 

Would it potentially be stressful to do alone or is it just a good day out? 

It's looks straight forward and a great time, i just wouldn't mind another opinion.

Cheers 

MJAngry 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Sabilly1:

Get a local guide to take you. They have all the kit and transport. That's what we did when we were in that area. 

Godwin 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Sabilly1:

It's a good day out. Some rigger gloves are handy for the cables. It's an ideal option for on a family holiday to go off on your own. No need for a guide.
Do use a proper Via Ferrata kit.
Watch the weather forecast, you do not want to be attached to those cables in a lightening storm.
Enjoy.

olddirtydoggy 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Sabilly1:

I'd recommend Cima Sat. There are a few old vids on Youtube of the route to give you an idea of what it's like. If you're already rock climbing at home then I'd skip the guide and just hire some kit in town. You would get a VF kit for hire in Arco but not sure in Riva.

The Cima Sat route is accessed via a path before the road tunnel and goes past a tower. Further up the hill there is a path that comes away from the main track and the fun starts. We didn't have any issues and enjoyed the great view over the bay from the top. Personally we tought the VF around Arco that we did were not as good.

Toerag 16 Jun 2022
In reply to Sabilly1:

>  Heading to riva in August and I'm wondering if the via Ferratas around there are an option to do solo. 

Yes.

> I'm heading with the Mrs and baby but could hopefully get a day out. I climb regularly but never done via Ferrata. 

> Would it potentially be stressful to do alone or is it just a good day out? 

They're fine - no worries about weather or routefinding, cabling is good. Just take care with the length though, the long ones are really quite long for 'valley ferrata'.  Colodri and Sallagoni are shortest and easily knocked off.  Amicizia is much longer, but has amazing views and ladders. Rino Pisetta is akin to strenuous HVS in the crux sections, so probably best avoided until you have more experience.  Sallagoni is great fun at night with headtorches as all the creepy-crawlies come out, but more sporty than Colodri or Amicizia so do one of those first.  It will be 'king hot in August, so get on them first thing or in the evening - it was 30 degrees in the day when I did them in the first week of September. Sallagoni is in a gorge, so out of the sun for much of the day. Colodri and Amicizia will be in full sun until the evening.  Bergsteigen.com for topos and photos.

hang_about 16 Jun 2022
In reply to Sabilly1:

I did the one out the back of Riva. Fine solo providing you have the VF gear. There were a few people around in case anything untoward had happened (a calculated risk of course). Very straightforward with hugely long ladders.

The only thing I found was wrecking my legs on the walk off. I hobbled around for a couple of days, but I do find descents problematical. It's simple downhill walking - just a lot of it. 

yelotango 16 Jun 2022
In reply to Sabilly1:

Also worth considering VF Che Guevara, long day - mid grade, rifugio at the top but long descent. I think it might even be the longest VF in Italy. If you do Rino Pisetta descend to Castel Toblino on Lago Toblino which is a nice & convienient place to wait for a bus.Che Guevara (VF3C)

OP Sabilly1 17 Jun 2022
In reply to Sabilly1:

Thanks for the replies everyone! 

I'll give Amicizia  a go, done some video research via YouTube!

Naively didn't even think about the heat factor so cheers for the heads up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...