UKC

Can you mend Ocun crack gloves?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brimham55 15 Jul 2022

Can this glove be repaired, I asked Ocun customer services. “This cannot be fixed,” replied Romana Horáčková. I think that’s the right answer but would be happy to hear from anyone ingenious enough to come up with a practical alternative. 

chris_r 15 Jul 2022
In reply to Brimham55:

Is there anything in the world that can't be fixed with duct tape?

Maggot 15 Jul 2022
In reply to Brimham55:

A real man wouldn't require crack gloves on Yorkshire grit 😂

I would imagine you'd need to renew the whole section back to the main part.

Andypeak 15 Jul 2022
In reply to Brimham55:

If you go on YouTube and search "repairing ocun crack gloves" there is a video of how to do it. It doesn't seem too difficult 

Connor Nunns 15 Jul 2022
In reply to Brimham55:

Wrap the bit that's failed in climbing tape and then stab a hole through it with a knife for the velcro strap to go through. I would also advise to wrap the thumb loop and the little finger loop in tape to slow down those wearing out.

In reply to Brimham55:

I cut the torn bit off with a hot knife and sewed a little tab of webbing in its place. Seems to work good as new. I’ll send you a pic of the when I’m back home next week. 

cragtyke 15 Jul 2022
In reply to Brimham55:

Cut off the remains of the old loop. Make a new thumbhole from a piece of leather/suede and get a cobbler to stitch it on?

PaulJepson 15 Jul 2022
In reply to Brimham55:

See it as an opportunity to make some reusable crack gloves out of tape! I've been using a pair for a while and all it takes is a couple of wraps around the wrist each time. They don't take as much room in thinner cracks as the rubber ones either. I've not come across a pebbley enough crack on grit that they weren't sufficient for. Some of those savage crystals on south west granite might make me think twice though. 

Second method @3:49 of this vid, if you're interested: https://www.rockandice.com/videos/climbing/how-to-make-a-tape-glove-for-cra...

neuromancer 15 Jul 2022
In reply to Brimham55:

As long as you've got some space to tighten cut the hole off then cut a new one just inside the old one (like shortening a belt) - then use a lighter to seal the edges.

But as above, with a username of brimham you should be banned from crack gloves (or forced to change your name).

Post edited at 17:39
 TobyA 15 Jul 2022
In reply to Brimham55:

Not needed to fix my Ocun ones as they seem very tough, but the Outdoor Research ones are much lighter and break more readily. I have been able to fix them though, a different breakage from your ones, but some nylon thread and a strong needle and pliers, and finished off with some zinc oxide tape! It's worked surprisingly well so I've had plenty more use out of them even after the breakage.

wbo2 15 Jul 2022
In reply to Brimham55: I did what necromancer suggests... cut a  new one in good material with a knife

Cobra_Head 15 Jul 2022
In reply to Maggot:

> A real climber wouldn't require crack gloves 😂

FTFY

colin milton 17 Jul 2022
In reply to Brimham55:

I've repaired the same damage on mine with sewing and super glue. It won't last forever but I reckon I've extended the life by at least %50. I could email you a photo if that helps

Post edited at 15:53
OP Brimham55 18 Jul 2022
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Thanks. I’d appreciate that. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...