UKC

Portlands Blacknor Fort access problems.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mike Simmonds 23 Feb 2004
Anyone had any problems accessing the area arround Blacknor fort? It appears that the two old boys that live in the converted castle might have had a falling out.
Anyone had any problems with the locals?

This might not be the case for much longer - as one of them appears to have shot the other!
 steve taylor 24 Feb 2004
In reply to Mike Simmonds:

Where'd you get this info???

URL?
Neal H 24 Feb 2004
In reply to Mike Simmonds: If this is true, (and I Doubt it) he may be gunning for us next. Who knows he probably qualifies for a World Heritage Site Grant for a bigger gun.
Mike Simmonds 24 Feb 2004
In reply to Mike Simmonds: Sorry to say it is quite true. I was in Weymouth Mags this very morning hoping to god he didn't get bail. He didn't, and the charge IS attempted murder next week he appears at Dorchester crown, oh what joy!

Can either of you expand on why this should be such a signifcant development for access?

Alan
Mike Simmonds 24 Feb 2004
In reply to Alan James, ROCKFAX:
1, A recent visit today found a site which was not only covered in NO Access, NO climbing and Private signs not only on the property itself by also across a large part of the Blacknor clifs below.
2, Local history has not only a land fude between the two people living on the site going back several decades but a level of privacy required by the pair taken to extremes on sevral occasions. Climbers may have been unlucky enough to be caught up in this extreme need for privacy by walking past or close to the site.
3 If found guilty of the charges against him the owner of one of the sites might recieve a custodial sentense and at 61 years of age this might prove terminal. The other owner, presently in Dorchester General with gun shot wounds to the abdomen might find need to find alternative accomadation once discharged.

Resulting in a change of ownership and possible problem with access for climbin in the Blacknor area for future climbers.
Neal H 25 Feb 2004
In reply to Mike Simmonds: Apologies for doubting you, its just I've heard some pretty wild stories about the occupants of Blacknor fort. May I ask what if any your involvement is in the case, and if you can elaborate your comments over extreme need for privacy as this may well throw light on the access difficulties we have been trying to resolve via the rock forum.

Cheers Neal.
Mike Simmonds 25 Feb 2004
In reply to Neal H: I'm working as a local journalist on the case. I've heard from several locals who said they were extremly keen on keeping people away from the fort. Not sure why. Bothe men were friends and problems only began over a land deal after 30 years of living there. One man is a former Prison officer, he is accused of shooting his neighbour after inviting him round for a chat about the disputed 'paddock' area. No forther details but I will try to find out how the victim, the other neighbour is, the case will continue next week in Dorchester. Have they been dificult with the negotiation over climbing rights before?
Neal H 25 Feb 2004
In reply to Mike Simmonds: for over a year they have been claiming ownership of Blacknor north cliffs and after spraying signs and chopping down old abseil stakes, demanding no climbing should take place on the cliff. We have so far failed to get them to discuss the issue, although the Portland Ranger did meet with them. So far ownership has not been established, and climbing has continued on a low profile basis. Over the summer however climbers have complained that someone from the fort had poured buckets of water over the cliff as they approached the top, nearly causing serious accidents. If you would like to talk this over less publicly call me on Weymouth 826299. Cheers Neal
Helen H 04 Mar 2004
Anyone know how the Crown Court appearance at Dorchester went (if it has yet happened)? I've seen nothing in the local papers since the details of the shooting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...