UKC

NEWS: Massive New Gogarth E8 Roof Crack by Pete Whittaker - Bar Wars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 26 Sep 2022

Pete Whittaker has made the first ascent of a mega 100-metre, three-pitch E8 roof crack in Natalie Zawn, Gogarth, North Wales, which he believes could be the longest roof climb established to date in the UK. The first pitch (E6 6c) was opened in a part-aided ascent by George Smith in 2018. 

Read more

In reply to UKC News:

As a lifelong Gogarth devotee I know I'm biased, but this is one of the most inspirational routes I've seen put up within recent years.

I'm also going to make a prediction that absolutely nothing about its grade is soft...

DaveHK 26 Sep 2022
In reply to UKC News:

***k that for a game of darts.  

In reply to UKC News:

Incredible Pete! Great adventure and a true mission. A perfect example of what climbing is really about. Kudos 

Ed Booth 26 Sep 2022
In reply to UKC News:

This looks bloody impressive, and hideous in equal measure. 

planetmarshall 26 Sep 2022
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> I'm also going to make a prediction that absolutely nothing about its grade is soft...

While I realise that all grades have soft touches and sandbags, the idea of a "soft" E8 is slightly hilarious to me.

Michael Gordon 26 Sep 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Looks awesome. I love reading about this sort of nonsense.

McHeath 26 Sep 2022
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Pete looks 99% of the time like the guy you'd love to have as a neighbour and go for an occasional pint at the pub with. The other 1% he gets this flashing  in his eyes when he's talking about monstrously hard and strenuous cracks and you realize: no, this guy is basically from another planet. 

Still very likeable though, and a quite capable climber :P

C Witter 28 Sep 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Sounds incredible and I remember the video of the earlier attempt brought home how hard and unnerving this might be. Great stuff!

I also enjoyed the account of how securing a willing partner (victim) to belay and second the route was one of the main obstacles

Post edited at 12:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...