UKC

Lead autobelay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom McNeill 29 Sep 2022

Hypothetically if a lead autobelay device (similar to top rope autobelay) were to exist and be used in gyms and potentially be taken outdoors, would you use it? Assuming it could protect from big whippers, was fully certified with safety regulations and trusted by people.

Post edited at 13:35
 JLS 29 Sep 2022
In reply to Tom McNeill:

What like this one...  youtube.com/watch?v=DQBLkjbQ1iQ&

I barely trust the top rope autobelays!  

deacondeacon 29 Sep 2022
In reply to JLS:

Is that not just an autobelay?

deacondeacon 29 Sep 2022
In reply to Tom McNeill:

The problem is that the machine (unless very very advanced) wouldn't know how soft to catch. Different falls require different forces of catch.

Jimbo C 29 Sep 2022
In reply to Tom McNeill:

Depends on the specs. Realistically probably not.

Can the hypothetical device read your body language and get ready to take?

Can it anticipate when you're about to clip (and on which rope)?

Can it respond to instructions you shout at it?

Can it remind you to clip when it thinks you're about to miss a clip?

I think the only thing that can do all those is another human.

jkarran 29 Sep 2022
In reply to Tom McNeill:

> Hypothetically... would you use it?

No, what would be the point! Unless it were voice controlled it'd deliver none of the benefits of leading with none of the benefits of a toprope.

jk

JLS 29 Sep 2022
In reply to deacondeacon:

Yes, you are correct, my mistake. I thought I was linking the lead version that was developed in italy recently.

JLS 29 Sep 2022
OP Tom McNeill 29 Sep 2022
In reply to jkarran:

Of course having someone to belay you would better! I was more thinking if there was no one to belay you it could be the next best thing

Paul Hy 29 Sep 2022
In reply to Tom McNeill:

if you take it outdoors, you will need to fix it to something!!!

Carless 29 Sep 2022
In reply to JLS:

Interesting - if that's their latest promotional video, why would they show a fall from below the bolt?

Enty 29 Sep 2022
In reply to JLS:

Looks like the machines pay out the rope like my climbing partner.

E

petegunn 29 Sep 2022
In reply to JLS:

How do you get back down if you can't get to the top to push the release button? Same with the rope one on the other video? Maybe possible to climb down very slowly so they dont lock up?

smally 29 Sep 2022
In reply to JLS:

I reckon there is just a person behind the wall feeding the rope out through the black box !

Iamgregp 01 Oct 2022
In reply to petegunn:

I’d imagine the device knows the difference between the forces generated by a fall, and those generated by someone climbing and just lowers slowly after it’s taken a fall. Would be fairly straightforward to engineer?

Ciro 01 Oct 2022
In reply to jkarran:

> No, what would be the point! Unless it were voice controlled it'd deliver none of the benefits of leading with none of the benefits of a toprope.

I guess the main point would be it allow you to work steep sport routes without a partner - which a top-rope auto-belay can't do as you would hit the floor on the swing.

It would also allow you to practice lead falling without a partner, so keeping the fear of falling under control.

I can't see a use outdoors - you'd need special anchors set for them, and clipsticking and shunting works - but in the gym I can see it being very useful, as long as the mechanism for pulling slack is smooth enough.

Lead autobelays on a comp wall would be great for people who work shifts and can't train at the same time as their mates, or people who travel a lot and turn up at gyms where they don't know anyone.

BrendanO 01 Oct 2022
In reply to Jimbo C:

> Depends on the specs. Realistically probably not.

> Can the hypothetical device read your body language and get ready to take?

> Can it anticipate when you're about to clip (and on which rope)?

> Can it respond to instructions you shout at it?

> Can it remind you to clip when it thinks you're about to miss a clip?

> I think the only thing that can do all those is another human.

And can it roll a ciggy while belaying you?

halo 01 Oct 2022
In reply to Jimbo C:

You make a very valid argument, would the device also let you know if you 'Z clipped'. Probably not. No machine can replace human intuitiveness. 

halo 01 Oct 2022
In reply to Tom McNeill:

Never send a machine to do a humans job. 

CantClimbTom 01 Oct 2022
In reply to BrendanO:

Not sure if rolling up is included in the base model or if you need to pay for an option pack but this is from Musk so I'm sure rolling up is going to be available. Personally I want one that can shoot lasers out of its eyes, no lasers no deal!

This is the future of solo belaying, can carry a rucksack/rope bag and carry a tray of pints to the table also

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63100636

Post edited at 18:12
 AlanLittle 01 Oct 2022
In reply to Ciro:

> I guess the main point would be it allow you to work steep sport routes without a partner - which a top-rope auto-belay can't 

Good point that I hadn't thought of. I do a lot of my wall endurance mileage on autobelays - easier than finding a partner who's willing to belay for long interval or ARC sessions. But toprope autobelays are limited to more or less vertical, so I tend to miss out on training on the steep stuff.

Ciro 02 Oct 2022
In reply to AlanLittle:

> > I guess the main point would be it allow you to work steep sport routes without a partner - which a top-rope auto-belay can't 

> Good point that I hadn't thought of. I do a lot of my wall endurance mileage on autobelays - easier than finding a partner who's willing to belay for long interval or ARC sessions. But toprope autobelays are limited to more or less vertical, so I tend to miss out on training on the steep stuff.

Of course, the flip side of that is if you can train steep limestone sport endurance on a comp wall with no partner, the gym will probably have to expand its comp wall space to accommodate demand for long sessions - which I guess takes up a lot more space than vertical walls or boulder endurance circuits.

LastBoyScout 03 Oct 2022
In reply to petegunn:

> How do you get back down if you can't get to the top to push the release button? Same with the rope one on the other video? Maybe possible to climb down very slowly so they dont lock up?

Indeed - you'd be screwed on an overhanging route!

BrendanO 22 Oct 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Optimus?

He’ll have to arrange a deal with Amazon’s fast delivery service, just for the name!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...