UKC

The Price of tea/coffee and cakes at Climbing walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dinodinosaur 05 Nov 2022

Gone are the days when you could get a cup of something warm and brown for £1 and a bit of tray bake for something similar. Now all I see is mochafrappcinolattes that I need to get a mortgage out for and fancy vegan free chai seed oat nests that would bankrupt a small country.

I put it to you, where are the cheapest brews around?

bouldery bits 05 Nov 2022
In reply to dinodinosaur:

I don't know.

What I do know is that, the way walls make money is way more on the cafe / shop side than the wall itself these days. I'm happy to pay a slight premium on occasion to support my local wall.

Post edited at 16:34
 Flinticus 05 Nov 2022

Bring a flask?

deacondeacon 05 Nov 2022

'Pay monthly' users get a free cup of tea/coffee every visit at The Depot.

bouldery bits 05 Nov 2022
In reply to deacondeacon:

That seems amazing value!

j_duds 05 Nov 2022

Depots monthly members can get free tea, coffee or americano before 11am Monday-Friday. 

Not great for those that work Mon-Fri. 

EDIT - but it may encourage customers to go climbing before 11, making it less busy in the evenings. Swings and roundabouts..

Post edited at 17:30
 Robert Durran 05 Nov 2022

No idea why you are getting all the dislikes. I've switched to a flask. As well as costing pennies rather than pounds, saving me maybe £250 or so per year, it lasts the whole session rather than being cold by the time I've warmed up. No brainer really. 

j_duds 05 Nov 2022

I'm glad the climbing walls have improved their cafes overtime and offer the choice, or you can bring your own. 

What about 12 month pass holders?

I'll be there this Thursday.

Sav

deacondeacon 05 Nov 2022
In reply to j_duds:

> Not great for those that work Mon-Fri. 

It is for me. I go down there 6am-8am 🙂

Cup of tea and a quiet wall. Lovely.

tehmarks 06 Nov 2022

Likewise off-peak at the various 'LondonWalls', ie HarroWall, VauxWall, etc.

islandlynx 06 Nov 2022

You can still get tea for a buck at the my local London wall

Robert Durran 06 Nov 2022
In reply to islandlynx:

> You can still get tea for a buck at the my local London wall

Do they actually charge 88p? *

*Exchange rate may vary.

In reply to j_duds:

> I'm glad the climbing walls have improved their cafes overtime and offer the choice.

That would be fine if it included the choice of a basic coffee without feeling you are a victim of daylight robbery!

tehmarks 06 Nov 2022
In reply to Robert Durran:

No no, you misunderstand. One buck - one male fallow deer. The deerest tea of all UK indoor walls.

mountainbagger 06 Nov 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

> No no, you misunderstand. One buck - one male fallow deer. The deerest tea of all UK indoor walls.

Staggering!

A cup of tea or instant coffee is a quid at the Climbing Works, or 50p if you have walked/cycled/bussed

MischaHY 06 Nov 2022

Have to say I agree with Robert that tea or instant coffee would make the most sense in a flask. 

Personally I'm happy to pay for a good quality espresso/cappuccino but paying a quid or more for a teabag and a splash of milk seems a bit much. That being said most gyms in Germany will charge you 3€ without blinking... 

In reply to MischaHY:

> Have to say I agree with Robert that tea or instant coffee would make the most sense in a flask. 

Instant? Proper stovetop strong stuff. Also keep the wherewithall in the car. Only takes 5 minutes on the gas burner. No more petrol station rip offs on long journeys.

Post edited at 10:48
In reply to tehmarks:

> No no, you misunderstand. One buck - one male fallow deer. The deerest tea of all UK indoor walls.

>

Of course. Silly doe ray me.

Mmmm I could go for a vegan free chai seed oat nest right now 

In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Do you not prefer the ones that contain vegan?

Mick Ward 06 Nov 2022
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

> A cup of tea or instant coffee is a quid at the Climbing Works, or 50p if you have walked/cycled/bussed

Good on you, mate (and appreciate you have to run a business). 

Mick 

In reply to Mick Ward:

If you ever make it back up north again then you get a free posh coffee

(I remember the "What is Bouldering" piece you wrote for us all those years ago).

MischaHY 06 Nov 2022
In reply to Robert Durran:

Someone above said instant. Definitely not my choice! 

Tyler 06 Nov 2022
In reply to bouldery bits:

> What I do know is that, the way walls make money is way more on the cafe / shop side than the wall itself these days.

27 people have liked this comment and no one disliked or questioned it? Must be totally true then.....

Post edited at 12:40
In reply to Tyler:

As a wall owner I can categorically state "WTF" to the idea that I make more money from my cafe than from entries.

Tyler 06 Nov 2022

Well someone has disliked my comment so we must be wrong. Maybe you should try upselling avocado toast with the teas or something?

Hi Graeme, I don’t think my usual soya latte is a dealbreaker either. 😂

OP dinodinosaur 06 Nov 2022

Yeah but you aren't charging minimum £2.50 for a teabag and some hot water and even more for a coffee, you must be missing a money making trick here

OP dinodinosaur 06 Nov 2022
In reply to MischaHY:

I agree with the good quality espresso comment though I often find the cheapest and finest espresso in Italy 

In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

No it contains vegan. The chai seed is complimentary 

Maybe we should use the Ryanair model.

Tea bag 50p

Hot water 50p

Milk 50p

Sugar 50p

And a cup to put it all in 50p

Maggot 06 Nov 2022

> Yeah but you aren't charging minimum £2.50 for a teabag and some hot water and even more for a coffee, you must be missing a money making trick here

Hahaha, I've just bought 210 Yorkshire Teabags from Quality Save, £0.02138p a bag. That's a fair old markup, >100x !

In reply to Maggot:

Bit more than the cost of a teabag though.

Hot water urn/heater

Milk (costs more than the tea bag)

Staff time to serve and then go collect and then clean mug/cup

Card machine charges or cash handling charge at bank

Oh, and VAT which is quite a big chunk.

And staff training (yes we have to risk assess and train staff to make hot drinks)

Etc etc etc

TheGeneralist 06 Nov 2022

> As a wall owner I can categorically state "WTF" to the idea that I make more money from my cafe than from entries

> A cup of tea or instant coffee is a quid at the Climbing Works, or 50p if you have walked/cycled/bussed

QED

ianstevens 06 Nov 2022
In reply to MischaHY:

> Someone above said instant. Definitely not my choice! 

Exactly. If that's your standard for "coffee" no wonder you (not you specifically) think a few £ is a bit much.

matt1984 06 Nov 2022

Friction bouldering in Gateshead has brownies for 25p each. 

SkirtingBoard 07 Nov 2022

Maybe not the cheapest but the Hangar in Sheffield does absolutely sensational coffee, the place is like an excellent coffee shop with bouldering attached. Happy to pay for that.

Redpoint in Birmingham used to be £1/brew but I think it's gone up recently. I don't mind paying and supporting them, especially after a torrid few years for indoor walls, but the coffee is just instant. I'd rather pay more and get proper stuff like at the Hangar.

Iamgregp 07 Nov 2022
In reply to SkirtingBoard:

I won't drink instant coffee at all.  It's just not coffee.  Coffee is made from roasted ground coffee beans, which aren't soluble in water.

Life's too short for instant coffee.

Iamgregp 07 Nov 2022
In reply to Iamgregp:

Oh and tea is disgusting.  Tastes like bathwater.

dsh 07 Nov 2022
In reply to Iamgregp:

> I won't drink instant coffee at all.  It's just not coffee.  Coffee is made from roasted ground coffee beans, which aren't soluble in water.

> Life's too short for instant coffee.

Actually quality of beans is really important. Most instant is using industrially roasted bottom tier beans. You can buy instant that's made with high quality beans that is actually really good. Way better than low quality whole bean coffee. However, it's more expensive than good beans from a local roaster so not sure I see the point of it.

Other downside is you don't get the smell of coffee filling the kitchen when a fresh pot is brewing. 

Post edited at 16:36

Typing this over a cappuccino and 250 kcal brownie that I just paid £3.80 for at Oakwood. Fuelled now. Not 2 quid but could be worse. Suck it up; inflation's a bitch.

No, I didn't get you one in.

Iamgregp 07 Nov 2022
In reply to dsh:

Hmmm, interesting. Yet to taste any instant that can hold it’s own against a real cup of coffee, but I’m sure they must be out there!

When it comes to coffee most of my friends think I’m a philistine as I don’t grind my own beans… Kitchen is small and we’ve no more space!

OP dinodinosaur 07 Nov 2022

That sounds like a great deal. Would pay much more for the equivalent at another centre nearby...

Also why didn't you get me one? I needed it to fuel the session 

HannahC 07 Nov 2022

£5.50 for the same at a climbing centre a few miles down the road from Oakwood…

In reply to Iamgregp:

Flipping love Nescafé Gold 

In reply to HannahC:

> £5.50 for the same at a climbing centre a few miles down the road from Oakwood…

Would that happen to be one with a shiny new cafe? 

Noted. Will take refreshments when I go there.

Andy Clarke 08 Nov 2022
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Oh and tea is disgusting.  Tastes like bathwater.

We charge way more for bathwater at Wolf Mountain. Takes a lot more effort to produce than just pouring hot water over a tea bag. And the fact that you have to make it in batches means there's invariably some wastage. Mind you, I hear you can get it carbonated now in some of the posher London walls.

CantClimbTom 08 Nov 2022
In reply to bouldery bits:

I'm happy to pay over the odds (to a certain degree) to help pay for the wall. I'm not the one saying "tea bags cost thruppence at Lidl you know" (that's not aimed at OP but is aimed at someone here )

My gripe as a curmudgeonly grumbler is that the choice should be widened include items like a pint of builder-strength tea as not everyone is onboard with Himalayan yak berry infusion or something that started as coffee before becoming entirely emasculated under froth and milk substitute.

Haven't been there in years, but didn't the Heights Llanberis used to have a mini wall off the bar area and they definitely sold pints of tea, well back in the day they did anyway

Post edited at 08:09

…..and the home made vegan cakes which are so good, I don’t care how much they cost.

deepsoup 08 Nov 2022

> ..or 50p if you have walked/cycled/bussed

Crikey, that's a price increase of erm...  infinity percent!

In reply to CantClimbTom:

> something that started as coffee before becoming entirely emasculated under froth and milk substitute.

Why is drinking dairy important to your sense of masculinity? That’s proper weird. 

Robert Durran 08 Nov 2022
In reply to Stuart Williams:

> Why is drinking dairy important to your sense of masculinity? That’s proper weird. 

Habe you ever heard of a metaphor?

Alkis 08 Nov 2022
In reply to Stuart Williams:

I think his point is that there is a more milk or milk substitute in there than coffee.

deepsoup 08 Nov 2022
In reply to Alkis:

> I think his point is that there is a more milk or milk substitute in there than coffee.

I think so too, but what does that have to do with masculinity?

FactorXXX 08 Nov 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

> I think so too, but what does that have to do with masculinity?

Have we really got to the point that we deliberately seek out and make a fuss about usage of a word that was obviously used with a well established alternative meaning?

FreeloaderJoe 08 Nov 2022

I'd like to see more walls selling hash brownies to be honest. I'd pay a premium for those.

timjones 08 Nov 2022

> or 50p if you have walked/cycled/bussed

Blimey, Sheffield must be a really crap place to live if people need to be compensated for living close enough to walk, cycle or catch a bus to get there

In reply to FreeloaderJoe:

I read that as Hash Browns which would be equally as good. 

2 Hash browns and a mug of tea. dreamy.

Andy Hardy 08 Nov 2022
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Oh and tea is disgusting.  Tastes like bathwater.

I've never done a real life comparison, but I'd be pretty surprised. I think it's more likely that you can't make it properly, and all that coffee has addled your taste buds 

Iamgregp 08 Nov 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I’m told my tea is quite good actually.  I do make it, just don’t drink it!

BrendanO 08 Nov 2022
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

> What about 12 month pass holders?

> I'll be there this Thursday.

> Sav

12 month pass holders get a free double whisky every visit, except fir last Friday of month when there’s a meat raffle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...