UKC

Scottish winter climbing accommodation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattc 28 Dec 2022

Hi all,

I was wondering where peoples favourite places to stay were in Scotland. I'm after somewhere with good road links to different areas so can make the most of conditions. A good pub would be a bonus! 

Thanks Matt  

dominic o 29 Dec 2022
In reply to mattc:

You'd find it hard to beat The Rucksack Club hut - Craigallan overlooks Loch Linnhe, near Ballachullish 20 mins from Glencoe and 30 mins from the North Face carpark.

https://rucksackclub.org/huts/

Here's the view from the sun room (sunshine not guaranteed!) 

OP mattc 30 Dec 2022
In reply to dominic o:

Thanks I will have a look

abr1966 30 Dec 2022
In reply to mattc:

Depends on what you prefer really.....plenty of b&b's around, YHA, independent hostels etc....self catering to different standards. Personally I don't like hostels but each to their own....

Location wise I prefer west coast as there are plenty of options and it's a nice place to be on non climbing days....others prefer Cairngorms....

I tend to go to Glencoe....or up to Torridon if the conditions are good.....but done many trips staying in Braemar, Aviemore, Fort William etc....all have their pros and cons...

Roamwest 15 Jan 2023
In reply to mattc:

Hi, Try roamwest.co.uk Inchree Village between Glencoe and Fort William, ideal for both areas on the west.  Two families took over the pervious business in 2022, we are all outdoor people.  The rooms have just been refurbished, two shared kitchens, drying room and great bar and restaurant.  Winter rates vary but are set at a good price outside of the school holidays.

CameronDuff14 15 Jan 2023
In reply to mattc:

Would recommend The Cabin - Edinburgh JCMS's hut. Less than an hour from the Norries and Creag Meagaidh, and not all that far from Locahaber. Very comfortable hut!

http://www.edinburghjmcs.org.uk/huts/huts-info-cabin-details.html

olddirtydoggy 15 Jan 2023
In reply to mattc:

Bank Street Lodge in Fort William. On the same side of town as the large Morissons so you can resupply your food and fuel at a reasonable price. It's fairly cheap and cheerful and only 10 mins from the local Wetherspoons with a cracking curry house on the main drag if you're feeling flush..

Post edited at 15:53
 65 15 Jan 2023
In reply to CameronDuff14:

Is that the same as the old Jock's Spot hut?

CurlyStevo 15 Jan 2023
In reply to dominic o:

achintee farm self catering is a good one for the ben. pub virtually next door and the walk in from the farm is faster than driving out to the north face car park and  (skirting around the ben) and the walk back is much easier than NF car park. Twin rooms with separate single beds (not bunks) and reasonably priced

Post edited at 16:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...