UKC

Sheffield climbers’ house share?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TradRat 06 Jan 2023

Hello, we are a young-ish couple planning to move to Sheffield, chiefly for the purpose of being close to good climbing; Brighton doesn’t quite cut it. We’d be keen to join or put together a climbing house or flat share to get us started.

Get in touch if potentially interested, of course, but also any tips regarding house hunting are very welcome!

mark20 06 Jan 2023
In reply to TradRat:

Lots of good advice on previous posts if you search. Generally, West of the City Centre, especially SW is popular with climbers for the obvious reason it's quick out to the Peak. Further North also decent, Hillsborough (more affordable than Walkley) etc, and Stocksbridge/Deepcar (good links to M1 and northern grit crags too).

I'd seriously consider Chesterfield and Dronfield if proximity to a climbing wall isn't a deal breaker.

Bare in mind the new Sheffield clean air zone if you drive a van. This also covers the ring road (!) and costs £10 a day. Expect this to include all private vehicles at some point, at least one councillor is pushing for it. 

PaulJepson 06 Jan 2023
In reply to TradRat:

South-West of the city has best access to crags and is also where a lot of the rental hot-spots are. 

Sharrow/around Hunters Bar has great access to Burbage/Stanage 

Nether Edge/Heeley slightly further but a bit cheaper and quite popular with climbers it seems (proximity to The Works)

Crookes/Walkley has great access to Rivelin

philipivan 06 Jan 2023
In reply to mark20:

Is this happening anytime soon? I guess this affects all older diesels like the other schemes but I did notice that a lot of them e.g. Bradford, Manchester had been postponed or even cancelled?

Jenny C 06 Jan 2023
In reply to philipivan:

Starts February this year.

Currently domestic cars are not included and it only affects commercial vehicles (vans) if they don't have a euro6 engine. Long term who knows what it will be extended to include.

Annoyingly the charge zone includes the entirety of the inner ring road, so as a older van user the cheapest way to get across the city is going to be to go through hilly residential areas. 

As others have said generally the the nicest areas of Sheffield are those most convenient to The Peak. Be very wary of anything on the East of the city.

deepsoup 06 Jan 2023
In reply to philipivan:

> Is this happening anytime soon? I guess this affects all older diesels like the other schemes but I did notice that a lot of them e.g. Bradford, Manchester had been postponed or even cancelled?

As Jenny says the Sheffield scheme affects commercial vehicles (including privately owned vans) with a pre-Euro 6 diesel or pre-Euro 4 petrol engine.  Ten quid a pop starting from 27th Feb, and as it includes the inner ring road itself you probably wouldn't want to be moving in to the suburbs immediately outside it just now.
Details here: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/campaigns/clean-air-zone-sheffield

Incidentally, while the Manchester scheme is still 'under review', the Bradford scheme is postponed no longer and has already come into force.  (Similar rules to Sheffield, but a quid cheaper for non-compliant vehicles.)
https://bradford.gov.uk/breathe-better-bradford/check-if-you-need-to-pay/ch...

Mini Mansell 06 Jan 2023
In reply to Jenny C:

https://sheffieldcc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=209bfe5...

Thats going to make a lot of journeys a lot longer.   

i wonder how. driving. further can be considered cleaner lol

philipivan 06 Jan 2023
In reply to Jenny C:

OK, thanks I find Sheffield painful to drive around at the best of times!

OP TradRat 07 Jan 2023
In reply to mark20:

Thanks, Mark! Of course we have a van, thanks for pointing that out, it will be a major consideration now. Will take a closer look at these areas. Cheers!

Jenny C 07 Jan 2023
In reply to TradRat:

I'd say Crookes and Walkley might be best as a van driver, as from there you can drive direct to The Peak, Climbing Works and Foundry without needing to use the ring road. 

Getting to Depot, Awfull Walls or Hanger without using the ring road, will be a pita from pretty much anywhere that as a climber you are likely to want to live.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...