UKC

Nesscliffe conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Dear all,

has anyone been up to the terrace at nesscliffe recently? I’m thinking of going on Sunday but not sure how damp it has been up Shropshire way and don’t want to waste a journey to be disappointed with soggy sandstone.

cheers,

tom 

Ross Barker 03 Feb 2023
In reply to Wyre Forest Illuminati:

It's been a pretty dry week generally, so I reckon you'll be alright unless there's heavy rain between now and then. Forecast looks dry. If you're wanting to try Little Northumberland (V9) then there is a crucial foothold that was recently glued back on, but not sure how long it'll take to set.

In reply to Ross Barker:

Nice one Ross, that’s incredibly helpful. I’ve got my eye on kyloe in and one inch pinch, I’ll steer clear of the trav to save busting it up. Cheers. 

Any updates from the Shropshire cognoscenti? Looks pretty grim round here! 

Ross Barker 04 Feb 2023

I'm not sure exactly how heavy it's been as I'm out of the area at the moment. Sunday looks lovely and sunny, so unless it's been absolutely hammering it down today/overnight I'm sure it'll be fine.

CantClimbTom 04 Feb 2023

Is Nesscliffe like some other sandstone types where dampness weakens it (meaning climbing it when damp damages it), or is it hard enough so it's immune from that issue?

In reply to CantClimbTom:

Definitely best avoided when damp at all, it's fragile. The terrace is fairly sheltered from showers though and gets all the westerly wind so tends to be a bit more reliable than the walls lower down in the quarry.

In reply to Ross Barker:

I'll risk it for a biscuit, at the very least it's zen af on the terrace and a nice place to eat a butty

Ross Barker 04 Feb 2023

Soft stuff at Nesscliffe. Even climbing it when dry damages it!

TobyA 04 Feb 2023
In reply to Ross Barker:

> Soft stuff at Nesscliffe. Even climbing it when dry damages it!

But still not as soft as Worcestershire sandstone, places like Blackstone between Bewdley and Stourport, very close to unclimbable.

Arms Cliff 04 Feb 2023

> Is Nesscliffe like some other sandstone types where dampness weakens it (meaning climbing it when damp damages it), or is it hard enough so it's immune from that issue?

I’m not sure there’s any sandstone where dampness doesn’t weaken it, maybe Torridonian, but that is a billion years old. 

In reply to TobyA:

Ed Ward Drummond put up quite a few XS routes on Blackstone. Either a visionary or a nutter, or both.

> I'll risk it for a biscuit, at the very least it's zen af on the terrace and a nice place to eat a butty

Please report back. Keen to know how it's looking.

In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Main walls down in the quarry and kynastons are gopping, but the terrace is bone dry except for a tiny bit of seepage on the far left. Bit green on the top outs but conditions are good, defo worth a trip. 

Thanks.

> Main walls down in the quarry and kynastons are gopping

Was more these bits I was wondering about tbh.

In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

To be honest I didn’t get a proper look up at red square/ cones and currants etc. Might be a bit nicer up there. Kynastons was green and damp/ seeping. It was dry and sunny today though and looks to have been relatively dry recently, I’d say odds were good at finding something in decent condition. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...