UKC

Recommendations for an alpine/day rucksack for a small woman?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Diana Smart 14 Feb 2023

I am a 5’4” female looking for a rucksack suitable for (for example) a day on the Cuillin Ridge. Probably 30-40l. I quite like the Blue Ice Firecrest, which comes in a s/m size, but can’t find any reviews, and wondered if anyone has any comments or suggestions?

Dave the Rave 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Diana Smart:

Hi Diana,

It looks a nice rucsac, but it would depend on what you’re going to do with it.

Are you planning a traverse, climbing?

If you’re a beginner but have ambitions, then buying a technical pack may be wise, but if not, most day walking packs would fit the bill.

If you’re close to the Lakes, or visiting, then I would recommend Needle Sports in Keswick, who outfitted my daughters with well fitting packs to suit their ambitions.

Hope that helps

Dave

OP Diana Smart 15 Feb 2023
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Hi Dave, thanks for that. I live in Sheffield but will certainly check out Needle Sports if I get a chance. I have looked in Outside in Hathersage but there is limited choice for smaller people so was interested to know what others are using.

A little more detail for anyone else who has any thoughts; I am an experienced (but slightly aged) rock climber, hoping to do the Cuillin Ridge in a day, which will involve lots of walking and scrambling, and some climbing. The rucksacks I have aren’t really suitable (too big or too small), so I am looking into getting another one which is medium sized and suitable for big days in the mountains. 

cathsullivan 15 Feb 2023
In reply to Diana Smart:

I'm 5'2" and I have a blue ice warthog 38l. Not sure if they still make these and I can't find any info about a size on it. But it's good and has lasted well. It has attachments for axes, a helmet carrier on the outside if you need it (folds away if not needed) and a decent attachment for putting a rope across the pack under the lid.  I actually mostly use mine either to carry my swimming stuff or as a day sac when on sport climbing trips (it's the right size for hand luggage). I don't do much rock climbing with a sac and when winter climbing I use something bigger. But I think if you want something to wear while climbing/scrambling that is about that size, it would be good.  And if they don't make that particular model anymore it might at least be useful to know that I'm pleased with its longevity.

Post edited at 10:37
 cragtyke 15 Feb 2023
In reply to Diana Smart:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mountaineering-backpack-33-litres-alpinism-33...

This might fit the bill, and there's a branch in Sheffield.

Fiona Reid 15 Feb 2023
In reply to cragtyke:

I'm 5ft2 and have an older version of that sack. It's OK once some of the contents (harness/helmet) etc are being worn but fully packed I find I'd struggle to wear a helmet and move my head ok due to the back length.

FWIW, I used an Osprey Talon 33 in a s/m back length for a day traverse of the Cuillin. I now have a Blacks Technicals Glencoe 28L as my 16 year old Talon died and I didn't think the new version would stand up to the abuse my sacks get. All the gear manufacturers seem to have gone for lightweight thin materials rather than more durable stuff. The Glencoe 28L has loads of room, easily as much as the Talon 33l and seems robust enough. I've not used it for climbing yet but it's done loads of winter days and I'm happy with the length, fit, comfort etc. 

Dave the Rave 15 Feb 2023
In reply to Diana Smart:

Hi Diana

ive just looked on the Aiguille site and they do alpine rucksacks, notably the Capucin 33/42 L in sizes small and large, £180.

Dave

Following - I've posted a similar qu on Womenclimb which might have some ideas. A lot of people seem to think the existence of packs is the answer - it's not, it's definitely the design! Definitely try anything on with a harness and helmet. 

While good spec, I found all the Decathlon packs, and actually plenty of women's ones elsewhere (eg at Outside) hit the back of my head with my helmet and harness on (I think Decathlon does one size only?) as the back is too long for me at 5'3". A friend did have a female pack (maybe the Ogre? Can check) with a foam back that was removable so I've considered buying that and then just cutting it down so it wasn't too long for me. This really is a persistent problem I wish someone would fix though. 

Only other solution I've found is that Outside once had a climbing pack for kids that was perfect size for me (take from that what size they think women are...) but it was smaller capacity and not sure I've seen it since. 

I tend to use an old 30l Tempest but I don't think the newer designs cinch down as much sadly.

If you find a solution do let us know - most 'women's' stuff still seems to be pretty big for the average woman and I wish they'd just make the packs a little bit shorter and wider to fit the capacity v whacking back of head problem. 

Post edited at 19:05
In reply to cragtyke:

I've tried this on and pretty sure it's too big for average women - think they just use a unisex size. Shame as it's a nice spec.

David Myatt 15 Feb 2023
In reply to cragtyke:

My wife (5’2”) has the Simond sac and likes it but rarely uses it while wearing a helmet. Daughter (same size but convinced she is taller) has a Crux AX30. Really good. I bought a second one after she swiped it. And you can get it on Ryanair/EasyJet as small carry on….so far at least.

David

Brev 16 Feb 2023
In reply to Diana Smart:

I have a Deuter guide, women's specific version, but not the light weight one. I think it's either 30 or 32l, but can be extend by another 5-6 liters. It only comes in one size, but I am 5'5" and find the back to be on the short side, so it might suit you well. Otherwise, it's very comfortable and is still in good condition despite regular usage over a number of years.

OP Diana Smart 17 Feb 2023

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this. Your comments have been really helpful and given me much food for thought. If the topic is still open when I make my decision, I will let you know what it is and how I get on.

MischaHY 17 Feb 2023
In reply to Diana Smart:

My experience (I work for an online outdoor shop) is that shorter people seem to do very well with the new Deuter alpine packs. 

Based on your description I'd recommend the Guide Lite 28+ SL. This has the advantage of a removable top compartment to further streamline the pack for technical days if necessary. 

Hope this helps  

Emily_pipes 18 Feb 2023
In reply to Diana Smart:

Here's a left field suggestion:

I'm also a 5'4 female and recently replaced an ancient Osprey Mutant with a Mystery Ranch Sceptre. https://www.mysteryranch.com/scepter-35-pack

It's an American company, well known for making military packs, which means they understand how to set up a pack to take a lot of weight without you hating your life too much. One issue I had with the Mutant was that its weight distribution system was a bit rubbish. If I had a long hill day or was carrying full winter kit, my shoulders would be killing me. I lived it with this for many years, but when the bottom of the Mutant became more Gore-tex patch and Tenacious tape than backpack, I decided to look for a new one, and priortitized finding one with a comfortable carry system.

A lot of mountaineering packs are aimed at the fast-and-light brigade. Stripped down shoulder straps and waist belts. Screw that.

When you're only 8.5st, full winter gear or a climbing rope and rack ends up being a not insignificant proportion of your own weight.

Anyway, the Mystery Ranch pack feels amazing. I took it out in full winter mode on a 16k day this past weekend (okay, there was no snow, but I was prepared!) and it did not feel like I was carrying that much weight.

You can get them in the UK pretty easily. I got a deal on mine through the Absolute Snow website.

yelotango 18 Feb 2023
In reply to Diana Smart:

Short fella, love the Arc`teryx FL - have the 30 & 45 which takes all my bivi gear

Elizabeth_S 18 Feb 2023
In reply to Diana Smart:

I'm not sure they make them anymore but I'm 5'4 and have the Patagaonia ascentionist 40L in s/m length I think - it's a fantastic pack. I've done the Cuillin ridge with it, and used it in the alps and for scottish winter. Perhaps more helpfully ME made a similar one called the Ogre (I think) that might be worth looking at?

In reply to Emily_pipes:

Just wanted to say I love this - always wondered how so many people say they can carry their rack/rope with a very simple pack with no hip belt; I definitely need it! 

Sealwife 19 Feb 2023
In reply to Diana Smart:

I’m a little shorter than you, so also have problems getting a pack which fits.

I am currently using a Montane Yarara 32, which is a great fit, lightweight, comfortable and I haven’t broken it yet.

OP Diana Smart 02 Mar 2023

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions. Just to say that I have now bought a Deuter Guide lite SL 28+, at a good price from Absolute Snow. Haven’t had a chance to use it outside yet but it certainly seems to fit well and doesn’t interfere with a helmet. It is pretty lightweight and I won’t be using it as a haul sack, but I’m sure it will do the job. Plenty of options for adding bits and taking bits off, including the waist belt.

Now I just have to wait for some fine weather and a trip to Skye!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...