UKC

Nikwax TX.Direct - out of date

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 18 Mar 2023

I've got a few pouches of the stuff that were originally given out as free samples. Their BBE date is 09/17. I was going to use them to proof my Paramo jacket -  safe or will I be melting it?

alasdair19 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

I proofed mine with out of date stuff it seems to have worked

Bob Kemp 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

It - and you - will spontaneously combust on hot days. Avoid.

Seriously, you could follow the usual advice and test on a hidden area?

SNC 18 Mar 2023
In reply to alasdair19:

> I proofed mine with out of date stuff it seems to have worked

Same here.

OP Lankyman 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> It - and you - will spontaneously combust on hot days. Avoid.

This was on the cards last summer even lying in the shade

Bob Kemp 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Ha, yes!

In reply to Lankyman:

Particularly if you were wearing paramo...

I've got some of a 5l jug left which is past it's sell-by date. It seems to work ok but it has separated a bit, it's probably worth giving it a good stir before using it.

OP Lankyman 18 Mar 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

I had a 5l bottle for years and that must have been beyond its best before. The label had worn off so no way to check.

mcawle 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

So funnily enough I just had this debate with myself re-proofing a gore-tex shell using TX.Direct that expired in 2020.

I haven't tested the jacket yet but it appears to have left a bunch of tiny clumps of residue clinging to the jacket. Not sure if that's related to the expiry or not and I don't use these products very often so not sure how common it is.

Currently re-washing to see if that clears it...

nathan79 18 Mar 2023
In reply to mcawle:

Will just be because it's started to clump. Just give the bottle a good shake before using it next time.

OP Lankyman 18 Mar 2023
In reply to mcawle:

> So funnily enough I just had this debate with myself re-proofing a gore-tex shell using TX.Direct that expired in 2020.

> I haven't tested the jacket yet but it appears to have left a bunch of tiny clumps of residue clinging to the jacket. Not sure if that's related to the expiry or not and I don't use these products very often so not sure how common it is.

> Currently re-washing to see if that clears it...

Proofing my old olive green Paramo with TX.Direct would often leave a whitish residue. Didn't seem to be a problem. I did dry clean it once as I appeared to have overdone the treatment to the point it wasn't breathable.

Robert Durran 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Go for it. You can's really make a Paramo jacket any worse can you?

OP Lankyman 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Go for it. You can's really make a Paramo jacket any worse can you?

Wash your mouth out! With TX.Direct.

mcawle 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

These were more like little balls of... snot almost (sorry). They're gone after a further wash but I note that the jacket now appears to also bead water on the inside, which I'm not sure that it did before, and also belatedly that the manufacturer recommends spray on instead of wash in... eek. Will be interesting to see how the breathability fares (or not).

Post edited at 20:13
In reply to Lankyman:

The date on mine appears to be March 07, so maybe I’d better buy a new bottle rather than ruin what was once an expensive hard shell. 

OP Lankyman 20 Mar 2023
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> The date on mine appears to be March 07, so maybe I’d better buy a new bottle rather than ruin what was once an expensive hard shell. 

Go on, give it a go. Then tell us what happened ...

In reply to Lankyman:

I wouldn’t have given it a second thought had I not stumbled across this thread. I was tempted to throw caution to the wind anyway because the waterproof in question is an Arcteryx (or however they spell it) which is “helmet compatible”. This means it isn’t human head compatible and has been obscuring my vision for about a decade or more. 

olddirtydoggy 20 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Try it on your hair first.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...