UKC

Prescription lenses for glacier glasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MisterPiggy 09 Jun 2023

Evenin' all,

I searched through UKC and didn't find anything recent, so I'm asking the group again:

I need to get some glacier glasses but need prescription lenses. I don't want bi/vari-focals - I don't like the jump back and forth from near to far focus. If I find I need a close view, I'll add some of those sticky inserts.

Any thoughts on where I could get such glasses - without breaking the bank?

Have a good weekend, everyone 🙂

Tony Buckley 09 Jun 2023
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Have a look at Cocoons, a modern take on clip-ons which slide over instead.  I have a cat 3 pair, so not the full on glacier strength, but good enough to make me recommend them.  Have side pieces too.

www.cocoonseyewear.com

T.

colinakmc 09 Jun 2023
In reply to Tony Buckley:

This would take a bit of forward planning in making choices when updating your main glasses but a few years back I got a pair as part of a 2 for 1 offer from one of the optician chains. They had in their list a neat pair of wraparound sports frames which they were happy to put Cat 4 lenses in. Cost was foregoing the 25% discount I would otherwise have got off my day to day pair.

Brass Nipples 09 Jun 2023
In reply to MisterPiggy:

I’ve been happy with Optilabs grey polarised. Look at their climbing glasses.

or try these 

https://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/product.php/544/julbo-glacier-sunglasses-...

Post edited at 20:20
OP MisterPiggy 10 Jun 2023
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Thank you all for the inputs - I'll look into each one.

Have a great weekend !

julian

Frank R. 11 Jun 2023
In reply to MisterPiggy:

If you can still find them, the round old-style Julbo Classics had the frames held by screws, so the lenses could be removed. Any decent optician should be able to make you prescription lenses that would fit (depends on your prescription, obviously). Zeiss should have some Cat.4 plastic available, I think (it’s been a long time I checked).

hokkyokusei 11 Jun 2023
In reply to MisterPiggy:

I have a pair of Addidas Terrex Pro glasses. They have separate lenses for the tint and prescription. You can get new inserts as your prescription changes. They're very good. Unfortunately, they don't really fit your "don't break the bank" requirement. Unless you have a big bank.

In reply to MisterPiggy:

Daily disposable contact lens are way better in my experience. 

kevin stephens 14 Jun 2023
In reply to MisterPiggy: in the spirit of UKC answering a question you don’t want answered:

Have you given a good pair of varifocals a try? A good optician will ensure they are customised for your needs. I have varifocal glasses for day to day use and prescription varifocal Oakley sunglasses, they are brilliant. For climbing I soon adapted to looking through the appropriate part of the lens for handholds or footholds. For cycling looking ahead or down at my computer, sea kayaking looking aheadcorcat my map/compass etc

for the Oakleys I sent a copy of my prescription to RX Sport, who sent me back a pair of dummy spectacles to photography myself wearing and help with the customisation. I’m sure RX will offer darker glasses suitable for glacier use  

ianstevens 14 Jun 2023
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Julbo will do this, but like any bespoke item, it is not cheap.

OP MisterPiggy 15 Jun 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

Thanks for your response.

I use bifocals to run and cycle; haven't yet tried to climb in them. I will do before pulling the trigger on prescription glacier glasses.

I looked at the sources mentioned above, and for some manufacturers, glasses would cost over €300.

So more research needed and I'll just have to save my pennies in the meantime.

As your thoughts and those of others, are up-to-date, then hopefully this thread will be useful to others.

Thanks !

Doug 15 Jun 2023
In reply to MisterPiggy:

I've been wearing varifocals for maybe 10 years now but my sunglasses are not, they are made for the prescription I need to correct my short sightedness. This means they are much cheaper & for reading a map I just take of my sunglasses. I did look at varifocal sunglasses but they were extremely expensive.

artif 15 Jun 2023
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Vuarnet, I prefer their lenses over any other make, but not cheap.

jonesieboy 16 Jun 2023
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Disposable lenses worked best for me. I tried prescription additions to sunglasses but my distance perception was messed up by them. I wear varifocals so use the trick of having different strength contacts in each eye : -4.75 and -4. I got used to this very quickly and I have good distance and close vision.

Kai 16 Jun 2023
In reply to MisterPiggy:

I was in your position for many years.  

About 20 years ago, I got LASIK surgery.  In a few hours I went from terrible vision to perfect vision.

Have never had any regrets.  One of a handful of truly life changing decisions I made that improved my quality of life immensely.  

Technology now is significantly better than it was 20 years ago when I did it.  

Highly recommend that you investigate your options.  So much better to not have to worry about prescription eyewear.  

apache 18 Jun 2023
In reply to MisterPiggy:

I had the same problem for diving- now use daily contact lenses to allow me to see the small critters in detail. Would advise something similar for alpinism but go to your optician to get the most suitable lenses

gammarus 18 Jun 2023

Did you order them from the US website? And which model? I'm interested in a pair for skiing

gammarus 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

However, some of us don't get on with contact lenses.

Tony Buckley 19 Jun 2023
In reply to gammarus:

My wife ordered them, not me, but she got them through the UK website.  I have these  https://cocoons.uk/shop/cocoons/fitovers/cocoons-polarised-fitover-sunglass...

They're fine for me, but that doesn't mean they'll be fine for you too, annoyingly.  Their measurement system does seem on the ball though.

I've no connection with this company, just a satisfied customer.

T.

gammarus 19 Jun 2023

Thanks Tony

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...