UKC

Bouldering in the outer hebrides?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 puckvg 04 Jul 2023

Hi,

I'll be staying in Leverburgh for a few weeks in august and was keen to do some climbing. I live in switzerland and mostly climb sport routes, don't think I can handle the 'adventure trad' in the outer hebrides without a seasoned partner and so was looking for some bouldering. I've seen some areas mentioned here and there (aird mhighe mostly) but I was wondering if I might find some more extensive information, or ideally a link to where I could find a topo for the area? I'll have a car and happy to drive up to ~2h if necessary if the bouldering area is big enough.

Looking forward to any suggestions

ebdon 04 Jul 2023
In reply to puckvg:

Having just come back from the outer Hebrides I'll try to help.  I wasn't doing any bouldering but there are a few pages in the SMC guide, these are very vague with no topos but i am happy to send you a picture if you message me (not till the weekend though as i'm working away ATM)

Also - its not all big adventure trad, I was there with my wife, who doesn't climb much beyond VS and we still did loads, there are some great inland crags, I thought Creag Aisnig was awesome, I also had little big crag and Crulabhig recommended to me (didn't climb there though). there are also lots of crags you can scramble down to if the sea state is ok (a big if, i nearly made my wife cry getting to a belay at one point), or with simple abseil approaches.  However they are all most definitely trad so if that's not your thing or you not taking trad gear not much help (if it is your thing almost every route i did was absolutely awesome). 

I have a feeling there was a thread on here recently asking about easily accessible/dog friendly crags and bouldering, it might be worth searching for it.

Edit - this one https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/destinations/scottish_islands_with_dog_fr...?

Post edited at 13:56
 smally 04 Jul 2023
In reply to puckvg:

Try  Clisham Pass for a start. 

OP puckvg 05 Jul 2023
In reply to ebdon:

Thanks a lot! I would definitely appreciate any pictures in the guide you have for bouldering.

Maybe we will consider doing some easy trad routes with simple approaches too if bouldering is looking too sparse.

Thanks for the thread too, all appreciated!

OP puckvg 05 Jul 2023
In reply to smally:

Noted, cheers!

mattrm 05 Jul 2023
In reply to smally:

I can only but second Clisham Pass.  There's scope for loads more stuff there.  I did an easy (V0/F4?) problem on the side of the boulder there that has Dave Mac's problem on it.  Also just from looking at things on the road, I did see other options when I was on holiday there about 10 years ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...